1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Cordless Anti-Static Wrist Strap...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mason7773, 11 Oct 2011.

1. Mason7773

Mason7773 What's a Dremel?

2. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

It is actually a valid product, it uses 'the Corona discharge effect' to discharge any build up of static current.
    Sorry :D
    That said I'm not sure how well it will work...
    May I suggest an antistatic mat as well (I have this which is great, although it smells weird at first) although it absolutely isn't necessary in terms of ESD (which is almost never a problem, I've never heard of anyone damaging a part by ESD although it's better to play it safe, it's not worth damaging a £200 CPU because you didn't want to pay £5 for a wrist band :D), it provides a really useful (and clean) surface to work on, which will protect your desk underneath while you build the PC.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Anti-static wristbands IMO are a waste of money. Just touch the case every couple of minutes

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I've always just made sure the case was grounded (install the PSU, flip the switch on the back to "off", and plug it in), and kept an elbow or forearm rest upon the case whilst working on it. Not quite as "safe" or convenient as a wrist strap I'm sure, but it hasn't gone wrong in many years of electronic work thus far.

5. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

+1 for the plug it into the wall method.. zero problems so far

6. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I had a wrist band anyway the last time I built a PC, so I tried it and after 2 minutes disconnected it and carried on anyway, it was rather inconvenient and got in the way. Probably causing more problems. I've never had a problem with ESD even when working on carpeting without any earth or being at all careful, probably a little too careless but it was fine. So grounding yourself every now and again or making sure the case you are working on is grounded should be sufficient.

7. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

No no no no, they are not a waste of money.

8. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

he did say "imo".

I bought one, used it on 1st build and as favst89 said, they do get in the way. built over a dozen PC's for me, family and friends and never had one problem without one.

9. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Upon first glance at this thread I thought it was one of those left-handed screwdriver things! Skirting Board ladders, sky hooks, bubbles for spirit levels, long weights, those kinda things...

In seriousness though, I've also never bothered with anti-static wristbands etc. As Malvolio said, pop the PSU into the case and plug it in but make sure everything is switched off. That way the PSU is grounded through the earthing in your house and the metallic case is grounded by being in contact with the metalling PSU etc. Just touch the case while your building and you should be ok.

10. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Yes he did didn't he.

I've driven a car without a seat belt, been alright so far.....until one day when we're not expecting it......

It's a bit like that, one of those scenarios. One day, the unexpected might happen. Ok, it might not kill us, but your shiney new 250 quid processor might.

11. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

but grounding the case is a alternative seatbelt.. so abit different

12. antonyand

Slightly different.

I can name many a friend who has hurt themselfs whilst driving.

Can you name me one person who has broken a CPU by static electricity?

13. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Naming people has nothing to do with it. It's all about risk. Sure, I've always used a grounded case, it makes sense to, but a writst strap always helps me handle things when I need two hands and I don't want to elbow the case.

I like to be safe, a bit like using a condom on a new chick - now, that is something where I can think of names, quite a few too.....

14. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I always wear my anti static wristband with a new girlfriend and I always wear a condom when building a new rig.

Better to be safe than sorry.

15. antonyand

so, for you, u like to wear the anti static band, others and me included, find it easier without one and can reduce "risk" by other measures.

I can fully understand somebody wanting to use a corded anti static band, but cordless one?! It just looks like a band with empty box. To me this cordless one is like those power balance band, utter waste of your hard earned cash, IMO.

16. antonyand

Depends where you're attaching the crocodile clip?? :naughty:

17. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Crocodile clit? :rock:

18. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

If I remember correctly the whole point is to equalise the charge between you and the case/components, so you need to to touch or be wired to the case. Being discharged yourself if the computer is statically charged is just as bad as the other way round.

19. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

This is a con.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

For some enthusiasts it might be favorable to be involved a car accident rather than lose something to ESD. :hehe:

I like my wristband, got it for free in a bundle. After taking an A+ certification class which required them before touching components it became second nature, you get a good idea of what places to clip on to and how to manage the cord. Can you simply ground the case and touch it? Sure, if you prefer. Me? I like to have my silly yellow bracelet on when working with anything valuable or which isn't my own for the "100%" confidence.

With regards to this specific wireless wristband... looks like a scam at its best.