1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice core 2 due LGA 775 upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pie_uk, 23 Mar 2011.

1. Pie_uk

Pie_uk British beef, in Britain

Hello peep's

My current rig is this little number >

Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
    2GB ddr2 pc2 8000 mhz cell shock
    E4300 conroe @ 2.6ghz

now i use this machine for cad mainly but the problem is it sometimes just runs slow when more than 10 layers are on etc.

I'm thinking a quad core and more memory. however it looks like DDR3 and wiped out DDR2, so if i were to look for some modules to match my cell shock's i may have a hard time? :(

any help and advice would be grand

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD New Member

Only one choice. Sandybridge.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I have to agree with Ph4ZeD on this

Apophis54 likes this.
  4. Pie_uk

sandy bridge? can that go with my existing motherboard? probably not :(

might be tempted to go back to AMD then get on the 6 core jobbys and lots o ram

5. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

If you're upgrading the board then go sandy bridge, on the otherhand you can get a perfectly decent (although maybe second hand by now) core2 quad cpu and you should have no problem locating some cheap DDR2.

6. Apophis54

Apophis54 Devils Son

Well if you only want to upgrade then get a quad for you existing setup shouldn't be to hard to find on fleabay I have a QX6850 in mine and it flys.

Teelzebub likes this.
  7. Pie_uk

yeah was thinking that, Q8300? then what about memory, thats the only place i lose out..?

Apophis54 likes this.
  8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would ask on the market place for the Ram you never know you might get what you want.

9. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

If you can't find them then you can always get another set of Cas4 DDR2, what was generally the lowest cas for DDR2? it escapes me:eyebrow:

Even if you have to settle with a higher can, you can always set the latency apropriately, you probably won't notice much difference, the biggest performance gains will be from having more ram to play with.

10. murraynt

murraynt Well-Known Member

Your biggest downfall ATM id the lack of ram.
    I sold my 4gb of Ocz ram on here for 40 pounds but you should get cheaper ram for a bout 30 pounds.

If you are getting a new chip and ram though I have to agree with the rest SB is the only way to go.
    Or AMD 955 if you don't have quite as much cash.

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

a quad and 2 gig more would certainly give you a nice little performance bump, either try to get more cell shock or sell what you have and pick up a 4gig kit?

12. Pie_uk

what is so good about sandy bridge then? how can that compare to a hex core from amd?! and the price difference! huge!

13. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Sandy Bridge is an epic overclocker, as well as having an incredible IPC. The i5 2500k spars with the Core i7 980X hex-core in a lot of tasks, and AMD's hex cores can't even compete there. Something to bear in mind.

14. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Sandybridge is the new mid-range from intel which beats their previous high end, very good value for money and lots of perfomance.

The AMD hex cores do have 6 cores, but the actual design of the cores is very old, and therefore doesn't perform as well. An important point to remember is that the core design has a massive effect on performance so you shouldn't just look at the number of cores when considering a CPU (Intel have owned the market pretty much since C2D).

If you're a bit strapped for cash I'd say upgrade what you have, if you have money to upgrade sandybridge is the way to go currently.

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Does CAD use cores, threads or MHz?

16. superego

superego Member

In short, I concur with what's been said regarding Sandy-Bridge. It's really good! Even without overclocking, the clock speed is on par with AMD's Phenom chips, coupled with much better architecture make the SB chips absolute steamrollers in pretty much everything.

I can't really say much about upgrading given what you're intended use is. I don't do anything CAD-related so my own Q9550 (Core-2 Quad 2.83GHz) has never had to compute that kinda stuff. I mention my own chip as it's also LGA775 like your so your mobo would likely take the same chip. I'd recommend something other than my own chip though since that still retails for quite a high price despite it's age - a testament to its performance and ability no doubt. On average the Q9550 goes for double what the Q8300 is. With a difference of 0.83GHz, once again I can't say what effect that would have on CAD. But my own machine plays every game I have with ease. For example, Just Cause 2 on maximum settings and 4xAA I get a minimum FPS of 29 (GPU is a Sapphire HD5870). Pretty much the same with Crysis - and my resolution is 2048 x 1152.

If you can find out via research online and gauge how much of an improvement going Quad-Core and doubling up the RAM on your LGA775 motherboard would give for your own needs, compare that to a full Sandy-Bridge overhaul in terms of price.

17. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cellshock-2gb-2x1gb-PC2-8000-DDR2/dp/B000JDUZKI if you wanna go down that route. Add 60-70 for a cpu. a sandy bridge upgrade currently stands at 300 for cpu, mobo and ram

if you take into account what you would have spent upgrading to old tech, and the current resale price of your stuff, you only have to find another 120-150 for a shiny new sandy bridge system

ever the optomist eh!!

Last edited: 24 Mar 2011
  18. Pie_uk

argh the temptations to go sandy and sell off some gear!!! but my lazy side is well.. lazy. so swapping the e4300 for an 8300 seems soo tempting :)

looks like I need to read into sandy! I also wouldnt have a clue how to over clock one now. So stock clocks would be easier for me

19. superego

superego Member

A Sandy-bridge at stock speeds would still be a beast in performance!

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It's just a case of bumping the multiplier on SB chips :) No fiddling with frequencies or anything!

Teelzebub likes this.