1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Core 2 Duo E0 Stepping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NickElliott, 20 Aug 2008.

1. NickElliott

NickElliott What's a Dremel?

I read this review of the Core 2 Due E8600 here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e8600.html

To be honest a lot of the article is over my head but it makes a big play about this being "the first processor with E0 stepping" and concludes "make sure that you only get the latest E0 stepping. Especially, since not only Core 2 Duo E8600, but also other Wolfdale processors with lower frequencies and prices will soon switch to new cores".

It's that last bit which interests me as I am about to buy the E8500 and I'm not sure what all of the above means.

- is the new stepping so significant such that I should go all out to make sure the E8500 I get has this feature; will I notice anything in my day-to-day computing experience?
    - if the answer to the first question is 'yes', when are the new chips likely to hit the market and is there any way to make sure the CPU I buy is the new improved version?

Or, should I really not worry about all of this and just go ahead and buy the damn thing!?

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I think it's to do with power consumption and temperatures.. Having the new stepping will make it easier to overclock..

That's what I've picked up from reading the odd article which mentions steppings..

3. NickElliott

NickElliott What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll do a bit more research on this before I buy my CPU.

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Good idea.. Research is always the best way when you're not sure. :thumb: