1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Core balancing and AMD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aragon Speed, 14 May 2010.

1. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

I have a Phenom II X4 940 BE, and a Biostar TA790GX3 A2+ Motherboard (With the BIOS update to support the Phenom II's). (http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=376)

I am trying to find out what the BIOS setting called 'Core balancing' does.

Now as usual the motherboard manual already assumes you know what 99% of the BIOS settings are and does not actually explain what they do (at least not in anyway that is meaningful to someone who hasn't a clue what they are supposed to do), not to mention the ones it misses out completely.

I have tried looking it up on google, but all I get is a ton of stuff relating to Intel CPU's, chip sets, and compilers. Nothing relating to AMD.

Anyone know what this setting actually does on AMD setups?

(Not sure if this is the correct place for this. If not please move it.)

Last edited: 14 May 2010
  2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

well, this thread is now the top result for the google search 'amd core balancing'. lol

3. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

At the risk of sounding obvious, does it not shuffle threads around so that each core is doing roughlt the same amount of work?

Rather than have 1 core at 100% doing four things it jiggles stuff round so that each core is doing one thread.

4. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

No idea, that's why I am asking.

That would be one logical idea, but I haven't seen much in the computer world that is logical when it comes to naming things. XD

5. harryy

harryy What's a Dremel?

re:Motherboards Core balancing and AMD

Hello,

I think you will definitely find it on google try to find it with motherboard. I will also try to find some solution for it.

6. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I think ShakeyJake is right - my quad core usually has all cores running at about the same level and temp. Could be wrong though...

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

You're all pretty much on the right lines. It's in it's most basic form it's thread allocation, where windows will decide which thread to allocate to what core, Dependant on it's load. By messing about with the core balancing you can make 1 core do all the work or direct certain apps to a particular core and nothing else. As an example I could allocate 1 core to do nothing else but my virus scans and leave the rest for everything else.
    Now before you all go getting to excited as to what you could do with core allocation I would say don't touch it, windows just happens to be very good at sorting it all out for us.

If you did really want to use core balancing , it would mainly be for servers where you would need certain applications to take priority over others when the system is under heavy traffic loads and these would then be cued and when resources become available they would then be dealt with in normal operation mode.

So in answer to the original question, don't worry about what it does.....lol

Last edited: 22 May 2010