1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Corn flies in my screen :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GingerFox, 10 Jul 2010.

1. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

So you know those tiny little black fly things that appear in the summer, theres a few like under my screen, any idea on how to move them?

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Under your screen?

Explain or take photos. :eek:

3. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

take a screen shot :naughty:

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

IIRC kernel had the same problem, dell replaced his, might be worth contacting the manufacturer and see what the say. Or try and take it apart i wouldnt have thought there woould be many screws holding the front section on.

What you dont want is for it to die right in the middle of the monitor, thats just going to annoy you.

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I don't understand how they would get under your screen. Are you using a CRT? Where would they go on an LCD?

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

had the same issues, they crawl under the protective layer in front of the actual screen.

luckily they died offscreen near the edges i think so didint have to do anything.

7. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Yeah they are like under the very first layer, no clue how they got they, just annoying as hell. None have died there yet though...

8. jcrider

jcrider Minimodder

The same thing happened to me around 5 years ago, shortly after getting my new TFT screen.

In summary, I took the monitor down to local business where they took it apart and removed the flies successfully for almost next to nothing.

I can't advise how to remove them other than this, but I now take the following preventative measures and have had no issues since:
    • Never open the outside window\door\vent(s) to the room your screen is in.
    • Close the inside door to the room your monitor is in (effectively sealing off the room while the flies are around).
    • Use a multi surface insect killer pen (i.e. The type used for putting around picture frames to stop the flies from getting inside) and apply it around the edges of your screen and other exposed openings on the screen (re-apply occasionally).
    • If you see them behind your screen don't try to remove them by touching the screen or you'll end up killing them right there. Just hope they walk to the edge.
    That aside, phone around and see if there is any local business or store who are willing to take the screen apart.

I hope this is of help to someone.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2010
  9. bagman

bagman Minimodder

10. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I actually remember having some annoying bugs inside my screen. Luckily they didn't die there, or atleast not where they would be visible.

Good luck, it IS such a mahoosive nuisance.

12. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Who apart from me was hoping they'd run the scanner in the above video to see what happened?

13. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Me!

14. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I've got a couple at the moment. I've never had one die in there, but I get a few every summer. I don't try to avoid it like jcrider does simply because it's such a huge number of changes and such a massive inconvenience for such a minor problem. I treat it like a fact of monitor life and hope they don't die in there.

15. jcrider

jcrider Minimodder

Or a massive problem for such minor inconvenience (to prevent it).. depending on how you view it. :)

16. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

I had one die about a quarter of the way into the top left corner of my screen last year, I still find it pretty annoying when watching a movie but not when gaming.

17. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Well, I don't have any aircon, so if I leave the doors or windows shut for an entire season my room would become very hot. It's already unbearable after two or three hours.