1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU corsair ax 850 to galax 980 hof connections help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leesy1, 21 Dec 2014.

1. Leesy1

Leesy1 Member

Hey. Im Sitting here with my computer apart baffled at how to get this psu plugged into my card. I did have a 680 with two 6 pin connectors. This needs two 8 pin ones. Can this do this?. I have one 12 slot (6 pins top, 6 bottom) top left empty and one 8 after the mboard connector. Plus a couple of sata ports below.

Cables wise I have tried a 12 pin (into the psu)with two 8 pin connector (though the 4 pins that go into the card are split into 6 plus 2,). The pc comes on but not picture. The card lights up though .

Meh confused atm. Corsair has no manual or anything either. All I need is a picture of the cable I need and a giant arrow pointing to the correct slot.

If any one can help it would be a great help.

Lee

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Well-Known Member

If I'm understanding Google Images right, there should be 2x cables with one 12 pin at one end that split into two 6+2 PCIe plugs. The AX850 only has 2x 12 pin connectors so you can't get that bit wrong.

Your AX850 should have 4x 6+2 pin PCIe ports. The two 6 pins that ran to your GTX 680 should have an extra two pins on them to make an 8 pin PCIe plug. Use those to connect your GTX 980.

It sounds like you have tried this though to no avail. I'd suggest trying the card in another PC if you can as there could be a problem with it.

3. johnim40

johnim40 Well-Known Member

4. Leesy1

Leesy1 Member

Thx guys. I have a 12 pin cable with 2 6+2 connecters which go into the card but it doesn't work. The only thing that works is the "Hall Of Flame Logo". I just unplug the 680 and stuck this new cable in and nothing :(.

The slot I am using is the one on Johns diagram that he posted on the bottom row to the far right as shown in the image. That was where the 680 one was.

Would it be best to get in touch with Overclockers who I purchased the card off :(.

Thx for all the help

5. johnim40

You could try it in the other slot. Or other cable if you have it

Have you retried the 680

6. Leesy1

Leesy1 Member

Yeah I have the 680 back and up and running :(. The next slot along has I believe the motherboard one in. I'm gonna ring Overclockers tomorrow.

7. Leesy1

Leesy1 Member

Hey Right. The card apparently did spin up yesterday but with no picture . I have contacted overclockers for an rma and was told to flash the motherboard bios as 'apparently' this had helped in the past. Personnally I have never ever encountered the need to do that in 15 years of building/upgrading when it comes to getting a gpu to work. I'm not a fan of bios updating and would like your opinions on this. I have an Asus p8z77-v pro motherboard. I checked Asus site and can see no reason in the list of bios updates to fix a gpu /shrug. Personnally it's more likely it's one of those things that they ask the customer to cross it off the possible fault list.

Any ideas would be great.

I have a lot of issues url and would prefer not to have to update my bios :(.

8. johnim40

i have never done it or heard of doing it for a gpu either

have you tried another output on the card

9. Leesy1

Leesy1 Member

I haven't got any other monitors to try the dvi connections.

I'm baffled by the overclockers suggestion of flashing the mboard bios. It makes no sense. I have done some research and no where can I find an instance of this being done. All Asus bios updates are typical mboard things.

I have never done a flash because of all the scary stories if something goes wrong. I have watched a great video on how to do it and it's not going to get done. I lose all my custom overclocking settings which have been done. I know I could eventually do it myself again after the flash, but I have severe ocd (obsessive compulsive disorder), which makes doing anything with my computer a nightmare.

Plus I have found comments stating : no need to flash an mbiard for a gpu install or to that effect.

I think the support guy was just going through the scripted questions because It just sounds like a weird thing to do to get a gpu working.

I'm getting my bro to ring when they are next open as he's used being assertive with his job. Though they shut at 5:30pm and it's xmas.

I'll see what happens.

10. johnim40

You can use a dvi to vga adapter

11. hobbs182

hobbs182 New Member

For what it's worth, I have HAD to flash main boards before to get gpus working

Especially if the card is a LOT newer then the board....

Doesn't make sense I know, and I can't remember the exact reason for doing it or what it amended but it does work at times, I work as a technician and its always last resort so understand the not wanting to completely but its another thing to tick off like you said, an RMA should be the last straw

Sent from my Nexus 5

12. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

To be honest, I do remember this being an issue when they first came out. I found this thread in the Nvidia forums which is related to your issue.

I would suggest making notes on your bios settings before updating because some boards will wipe all saved settings / profiles with an update. Sometimes a bios update will modify or introduce new settings or remove some older ones and if you try to recover a saved profile to a new bios it will cause instability.
    Recovering a profile to the same bios is perfectly fine - profile saving is one of the best features that they added.

After updating a bios I would suggest entering your preferred settings again manually and then create new profiles. A new bios doesn't always mean that your overclock will work better or on the odd occassion, as well as before, so you need to give it a thorough testing too.

13. Leesy1

Leesy1 Member

Hey guys and thank you for all the responses. I will try the BIOS flash and record my overclock settings beforehand. The card is not faulty as Overclockers have tested it and it runs fine.

14. hobbs182

hobbs182 New Member

Bit of a bump, did this work dude? Curious to know the outcome

Sent from my Nexus 5