1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Corsair H75 Water Cooling x2 Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grimerking, 10 Sep 2015.

1. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

Hi,

I recently bought a watercooling kit and a 290X adaptor.

Previous setup:
    • i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz (auto voltage)
    • Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 (silent fan profile via PWM)
    • 32GB RAM DDR 1600MHz
    • 290X 4GB Reference Design (very noisy)

I fitted the adaptor and watercooling kit into my case (Antec P180). At the time, I didn't have a fan controller, but the fans in the Antec case come with 3 speed settings. I placed the radiator behind the rear exhaust fan with the fan blowing through the radiator and out of the case.

Temperatures were immediately reduced and my PC was almost silent. I was so impressed, that I ordered another watercooling kit for the CPU. It wasn't strictly necesary, given how quiet the Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 is, but I thought it might help me overclock the CPU a bit more.

I placed the CPU radiator where the 290X radiator had been using the two supplied fans in push/pull. Air exhausting out of the rear.

I placed the 290X radiator at the front of the case with the fans int push/pull exhausting out the front.

I didn't have a fan controller at this point and the fans were quite noisy. I ordered a fan controller on ebay, thinking that would allow me to make the PC (almost) silent again with good temps.

The fan controller came today, I fitted it and adjusted the speed until the fans were just below audible. Fired up a game and temps rocketed. The 290X had been hitting about 68C with one fan at the back of the case. It hit 88C with the new setup. The radiator was very hot to touch, so I'm pretty sure the pump was/is working fine. I turned up the fan speed and temperatures came back under control. It seems I need to shift more air at a lower RPM or switch back to just the 290X watercooling.

• Are the fans supplied with the H75 known to be noisy?
    • Are there specific fans that people use for watercooling?
    • Should I discard the Corsair fans completely and use the old case fan for the rear radiator and maybe the Arctic i30's fan for the 290X's radiator, at the front?
    • Is push/pull a waste of time?

Any help and advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Lover of bit-tech

The H75 fans will be more suitable for the rads than the standard case fans. I think there'll be a couple of things causing problems with having one of the rads mounted at the front. First and foremost is that the door on the 180 will stop air flowing through rad properly, trapping hot air the other side. If there is space, I'd try having one on the roof and one on the rear. If not, have the door open and get rid of the dust filter. Make sure you've got the roof fan on intake so their not starved.

Push/pull can work better in some situations, but it depends on your set up. I ran push/pull on my antec 620 in a P182 and found temps improved at lower fan speeds. Give it a go and see what works for you. It'll take some time but it's worth it to get a set up you're happy with.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2015
  3. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

Way ahead of you when it comes to the front case filter - removed it immediately and running with door open. Not sure there is space at the top, but I'll give it a go.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

If I'm reading it correctly you have all the fans operating as exhausts?

Do you have any fans as intakes, if not I think you should maybe have the front H75 setup as intakes and see if that makes things better.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

As CB says, you need to have some intakes. You can't create a small almost-vacuum like scenario and expect air to flow.

6. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

Unfotunately, I couldn't place a radiator in the top of the case. The motherboard 12V connector is in just the wrong place.

I switched the top fan so that it is now an intake. When I place my hand near the fan on the outside of the case, I can feel air rushing past my hand, so it has definitely improved things. Ideally, I'd prefer to have the CPU radiator at the front of the case, because I think it is dissipating less heat than the 290X, but the tubes on the H75 aren't long enough to reach.

Oh well, not much more I can do without buying a new case....

Does anybody have any recommendations for a reasonably priced case that has been designed for watercooling?

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You need to put the radiator for the GPU as an intake and have yet top as an exhaust.

8. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

I tried swapping things around, as suggested. Temps aren't as good, but I can use the air filter and keep the door closed....

Hot air is being pumped over my other components though and I did have a 'crash' - not sure if that was heat related.

New case it is!

Shortlist is:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2014/05/06/phanteks-enthoo-pro-review/1

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2014/08/12/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-review/1 .

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2014/11/24/fractal-design-define-r5-review/1

I'd really like to reduce PC noise, so the R5 is tempting. The lack of top dust filter, though, is a concern. I think the Phanteks are a better design, but lack sound proofing. 1st World Problems, to be sure, but I'll probably be using it for at least a decade.

9. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Can we have a pic of what you have now?

10. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

11. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Hi sorry how it looks inside your system now

12. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

[​IMG]

12cm exhaust fan at top.
    Rear radiator is in push/pull = exhaust
    Front radiator is in push/pull = intake
    12cm fan blowing front to back in PSU 'tuinnel' (not in shot)