1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corsair HX620 & Cooler Master iGreen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 10 Sep 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

That corsair PSU looks very sleek, but I don't really like the flat cables.

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

More Brands of PSU, some people i.e. me will probably get confused and buy a rubbish powersupply :duh: But, with this kinda look into things, i know i can rely on a brand known for RAM :D

Last edited: 10 Sep 2006
  4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I'm somewhat skeptical of the flat cables too but I'd buy one to try it out (could always sleeve them later if needed) - if I was in the market for a new PSU. As you say, it sure looks sleek.

I like the idea of the Coolermaster but if the up front price negates any later cost savings, why bother? But if it was modular and black like the Corsair... :thumb:

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I dunno, sounds like my ultra X2 with modular cables. Probably a good PSU, but not really worth the price

6. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

How do you think the supplies would cope if the same system was overclocked (cpu and gfx)?

7. JeffDM

JeffDM What's a Dremel?

We found that the Coolermaster had quite a fluctuating current through the molex connectors whilst under heavy load, with the voltage running up and down between 12.20 and 12.10. Happily, even at 12.10 the devices are still getting enough current to function well.

Voltage is not current. You didn't measure current, or at least didn't report it, so how did you know for sure that it was fluctuating? Acceptable voltage tolerances for most computer electronics are generally +/-5% or so, so those measured differences are negligible for all intents and purposes.

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Hi,

Wil probably has me down as the spelling nazi by now, but what's a "chassy"? I thought it was "chassis" even in America.

Phil

9. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I like the flat cables - unique and definately a benefit to those wanting to route cables well. I think enthusiasts who build up their systems with stock components will plump for the Corsair. But I think modders would steer clear - I for one would get confused as to which wire I'd cut. Good to see Corsair branching out though...

10. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Me wants a Corsair PSU..

11. kliend

kliend What's a Dremel?

those things look awesome (the cosair one)
    for my next build I'll be looking their way
    if I was building now I'd probably go with the cheaper 530 watt one or whatever it is

12. customh

customh conflagration.

I like the flat cable idea, and the modular one too, time too look into that over the trusty seasonic.

13. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

my view is that if the rails dont drop below their reported value then they should be fine. Like 12.27 dropping to 12.10 is still above 12.00 and that's good.

14. psumann

psumann What's a Dremel?

These flat cables look sweet and more flexible than the regular sleeve ones. I believe Seasonic actually OEM the unit for Corsair and it's based on their new M12 design as well.

15. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Flat power cables are nothing new; Ultra has been using them for quite some time now on their X-Finity series of PSU's as well as on their X2-Connect Modular PSU's. Ultra provides a lifetime warranty when you register the PSU; standard warranty is 3 yrs. Bit-tech should get one of these to campare with the Corsair.

16. psumann

psumann What's a Dremel?

JonnyGuru has done detail reviews on both Ultra X2 and Corsair HX. You can check them out here:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/X2-550W/X2-550W.html
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/HX620W/

17. Retrograde

Retrograde What's a Dremel?

I'm definitely interested in the coolermaster, i've learned in the past that you get what you pay for so money tends to be liberally spent on psu's around my house. I'm a fan of the modular cable system and the flat cables are an even better idea in my opinion.

18. myth

myth What's a Dremel?

19. psumann

psumann What's a Dremel?

Looks wimpy because it's a better and cleaner design?

ST75ZF is a good unit, but based on JonnyGuru's review, it's less efficient, physically longer, non-modular, and generates more heat than the Corsair unit. Why do you want that? :confused:

Tags: Add Tags