1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corsair RGB Fans to Standard MB design

Discussion in 'Modding' started by xrob, 13 Jul 2020.

1. xrob

xrob Member

Hi,

I have some corsair fans that i want to connect the RGB through my asus motherboard headers, currently dont have them plugged in as I switched case and dont want to put in the crap corsair rgb/fan controller.

I thought it would be as simple as buying a cable that converts to the 3 or 4 pin standard RGB style headers, but cant find one. Do they exist?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The voltages may be different, same with the control scheme.

3. xrob

xrob Member

Could be although pretty sure they're 5v still, just use a proprietary connector

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Corsair are 5v three pin jobbies. The connectors are available, too, they're Molex products;

Qty Part Comments
    1 Molex 50-57-9403 3 circuit Female Socket Connector
    1 Molex 70107-0002 3 circuit Male Socket Connector
    3 Molex 16-02-0102 Female Crimp Connector
    3 Molex 16-02-0114 Male Crimp Connector

Depends mostly on what your motherboard header is, though, as to what you need to use to plug it in. My Gigabyte board, for example, just has three straight up pins, and the standard Corsair connector fits fine.

Middle pin is the data, but I can't remember which way around the 5v and gnd are.

Edit: Quick shufty at mine, I'm pretty sure with the retention clip on top and the connector facing away from you, the left pin is ground, and the right 5v. I do tend to check on the strip itself, if it's accessible, though..

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Googling it, the 4 pin is 12v (and 3 ground pins) and the 3 pin is 5v addressable (its serial comms).

liratheal likes this.