1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

could you funtion with out power

Discussion in 'General' started by johnwilliams474, 25 Apr 2004.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm a little confused here... because... at some point in human history, we didn't have power... agreed? Good.. now, despite not having electricity, we were still talented mettalurgists, and created all manner of things out of iron, steel and other metals and alloys. Then someone invented the steam engine, and someone built one. Then someone hit on the idea of using this new invention to generate.. wait for it... electricity!!

So, you see.. why should be ever NOT have power? SO long as there are things to burn, we can make steam, and so long as we can make steam, we can drive turbines, or power a steam piston engine and generate electricity. It's very hard to UNLEARN something. It wouldn't have to be re-invented, because we all know enough to build a steam engine. I could probably make on if I really had to, and I'm not a steam engineer or scientist.

SO.. Malcs is right, but not in the way he thought he was: It will never happen.

ANd as for everything not working after a nuclear war: I'm assuming you're referring to the EMP that will destroy anything electronic? Well.. that's not really true. Things close to the blast will suffer, but there have been enough pieces of electronic equipment around nuclear weapons tests to show that it's not the disaster everyone thinks it will be. Think about it.. if the EMP renders the entire world crippled, then why are guidance systems in ICBMs usually computers and sophisticated radar and sattelite guidance systems. Seems a little silly really if all that was rendered utterly redundant if a nuclear conflict was to break out.

What Government would build an air force, navy, and land army so utterly dependant on computers and micro-electronics if this myth of EMP was true to the extent people think it is?

Last edited: 25 Apr 2004
  2. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Erm...

Is it just me, or do thousands (more like millions, if not billions) of people exist daily without electricity? Its nice to see that lots of you seem to have forgotten this fact, what with your "it'd never happen"...

Sam

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I think the point is, could we survive now we've built a society and infrastructure that depends upon it? Comparing us to a society that has never had it in the first place is not quite the same :p

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Absolutely. Imagine how many would perish if they didnt have their daily intake of **** TV?

Going "backwards" is very hard and causes social problems like looting and anarky. Like i said - take a look at the blackouts in the US. Many would die, but we'd still survive.

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I live in Lancaster, UK. The situation you describe is not so far from what we got here already and we all manage :hip:

6. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

If I had to live without my computer. Jeez thats a tough one...what other anti-social hobby can I come up with...oh well just have to go back to getting drunk on a regular basis...in this future with they still have nurofen and alkaseltzer? :confused:

7. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I'd get high, high, high :D

8. micb

micb Minimodder

My life contains a massive amount of technology, my all my qualifications in computers would be quite useless, I would miss watching films massively but there would be some benifits.

I would most likely move somewhere more pritty in the UK some coastline like Wales/Devon etc, learn some musical instruments, read more literature, requalify in music or art, take up woodwork/carpentry, settle down and mabye raise a family.

Does not sound too bad to be honest.

It would be very very hard at first but I think I would still live a happy life if possible.

9. Smiere

Smiere What's a Dremel?

Nah, we'd not just survive, we'd be better off, less fat people, longer attention spans, people would read more, a lot of wars/violence etc may slowdown/end (no threat of missiles etc), we would not be bombarded with as much advertising, we'd eat better and we'd be more sociable.
    It'd take getting used to but I think people would be happier.

10. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

Im a staff member in the air cadets here in the UK. One of the things i enjoy the most is all the venture training activites, camping and the ability to live on your own in a feild in the middle of nowhere, I would like to beleive i could survive but we, as in the general population, i would say over 50% would perish. I see first hand the types of people out there and it is kind of worrying. The current socially accepted people, the ones that are into fasion and all the mod conns wouldnt stand a chance for the most part - thier natural aptitude is extremely low for that kind of situation from my experiance, they are infuriatingly incapable to understand the basics let alone impliment them, maybe a stereotype but suprisingly how true it is - the typical 'city folk' stereotype especially. On the opposite end of the scale there are people who could deal with that situation. These people are likely to go into military or emergancy services and do activities like airsoft. Many from experiance have an aptitude to instinctivly understand how to use terain to your advantage and they are also they type of people who are down to earth, who if they can will help somebody and it would be these people that would keep a population alive and i would say the 'new' population will be real world praticle people who are hands on, interactive, higher than current average inteligence (they would need that to survive) and decent people. I would also say a high proportion of the Bit community would fall into the survivor catergory because altho its done online they already have the ability to learn hands on skills, use tools, interact and help a community, understand logical things and are higher than adverage intelligence to the general population (they understand how a computer works and can improve and maintain it, not just use it to some kind of extent). Thats my opinion anyway.

11. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

I have to agree with Jaguar, but I disagree that bit members would survive! In my experience there are too many people here that have no common sense and little grasp of the real world! Sure, there are a fair few apart from this, but there *are* also a lot of muppets :rock:

I think inner cities would become no-go areas- there would be widespread looting and mob rule- and I think there would be a general climate of fear and distrust. The parts of society that would thrive best would be remote rural locations- mainly because they have some idea of how the land works, and also because they are more likely to have already formed close-knit communities.

Sam

12. relix

relix Minimodder

Okay, to everyone who thinks the world would become a healthy paradise: think again. This is my prediction for a future in which all electrical stuff goes down one moment in time, and never goes back on:

First few days: people would not realise what is wrong. One of the consequence of no electricity is no communications whatsoever over a big distance. It would take days to weeks, maybe even months before everyone knows the truth: electricity is gone forever. Next comes the chaos.

When everyone knows the truth, chaos starts. Who would want to go to work? There's enough work trying to get food to survive. The looting starts. People get murdered. Police can't handle things anymore. The sects in which the end of the world is predicted increases in number exponentially. True chaos.

We would go back to Medieval times, with everything: social, science, life. Perhaps even further back in time. To counter the chaos, the richest man hires normal people to protect other people who pays the rich man. Years after this man is like the castle-lord in the Middle Ages. The biggest problem is space. Without electricity, they can't have such a high production on the farm-lands. Also without electricity, they can't get rid of all the houses to make farmland.

How many generations would it take to abolish the idea of electricity? Quite a few, I think. It will be spread like a myth about a power that could do miracles. Parents will tell it to children who will tell it to their children and so on.

This is perhaps quite exagerated. But even when everything stays normal, how the hell are you going to:
    * Create medicines for sick people, in such high volume?
    * Do surgecial operations on people?
    * Create food in such high volumes. It is impossible, we need electricity to get such a high productivity from the farmlands.

It's not going to be paradise, half the population will starve to death, a quarter will die of diseases that with electricity could easily be helped. In fact, I think the population in Europe will become almost extinct, while in third world countries it would stay normal.

13. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

good good, the world would be better off without all the charvers/schemies/neds/pikies/weegies.

;)

i take it no one would be using a generarator for power would they....

or heavens forbid batteries....

or gerbils

14. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

woo, air cadets :) me to!! 1047 City of Wolverhampton Sqn :p

yeah true, people brought up in there own little world of technology wouldnt have a clue how to make food other than waiting for it to 'ping' byitself, but I dont think they would just die, one of humans greatest skills is the skill to adapt to there surroundings...

- M@

15. fallenSaint

fallenSaint What's a Dremel?

I can honestly admit I cannot function whatsoever without electricity... I can proove this by the fact I live out in the boonies (no highspeed expectancy for the next few years ;*(...) and everytime the rain drops our power goes out and I have a mental breakdown with total lack of anything I find comfort in. Its even caused me to think several times about running my room off a seperate generator so I can continue using my devices if things continue as they do.

16. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

exactly what im trying to say computers have crippled us

i don't know about other countrys but i know that if every thing electronic fried in the usa we would be screwed

its like this

wooden table = usa

take for instance a wooden table 4 legs pretty sturdy if there built right any way by accapting computers in our every day life we replaced the legs with (computers, electronics ect) and if something were to happen to the new legs (computers ect.)(like a massive emp or act of god) it would be equal to the legs just disapearing the table will fall do you understan what im trying to say

17. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

agreed

18. Jaguar_Infinity

ex 2235 Deal Sqn cadet
    354 Dover Sqn CI
    (both kent wing)

:)

I would have to agree that chaos would reign in the cities but i think it would happen within days or hours let alone weeks. If electricity failed by whatever means then phone, police radio's and cars (and all emergancy responce veichles in general) wouldn't work so emergancy services wouldnt be able to respond to events like fights or accidents which we take for granted. Also with no TV alot more people would be out on the street and with no effective responce from police widespread looting would occur and turf fights ensue. This is exactly what happened in new york excet they had one advantage - their radio's and cars and equipment did work so at least if they found out about an incident they could still respond - in a no leccie world this would not be the case.

very good point about medicin but i think its not quite as dire as you make out, their are natural medicines (tho i admit i wouldnt know them) and for the large part it would simply mean you would have to put up with a headache than take a neurophen. Serious illness could be a big problem agreed.

Places like where i live on the kent coast would be relativly ok, we could still fish, have woods and farmland. but one concern is what would happen to the armed forces. presumably they would disperse - which would mean all their armouries would be 'released' making alot of firepower on the streets in urban areas. i guess one way you could look at it is iraq, you have the rural people and they can live their lives ok, in the cities its all gang warfare and violence.

Another thing we take for granted is fresh water. again not a problem for rural areas so much but urban areas it will become a commodity to be fought over byt the gangs, as will food in general.

Its an interesting question, how would a society built on eletrically powered technology cope if it all just failed, and i truly beleive a minimum of 50% of the population would perish within a year. in the long run (say 5 - 10 years) i can see the population below 75% of what it is now but you dont backstep THAT far. I dont think we would go back to medievil times, 1800's yes. we still have the knowlege, culture and science to rebuild our world but we would be set back many decades.

19. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

Sorry offtopic, but:
    Me too. CI (going for Adult Sgt) 459 Windsor Sqn Thames Valley Wing.

20. Jaguar_Infinity

Im considering going into uniform again, but not sure yet - gonna see how it goes as CI first.