1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cowboy Repair Store Flashed Parents Bios...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hixin, 9 Oct 2006.

1. Hixin

Hixin What's a Dremel?

Yeah well thread titles says all.

Parents took their office computer in for some repairs while I was on holiday and the "spanner" of a so-called "technician" has updated the bios with the wrong file.

From what ive been able to work out from what ive been told he flashed the MSI PM8M3-V H PCB4 with the bios update for a PM8M2.

The whole lot is DEAD, just wondering if anyone here has any ideas on reflashing the correct bios considering the system doesnt even get as far as looking for any drives so the old autoexec floppy approach wont be worth even considering.

Any help is much appreciated because their starting to get on my nerves complaining about not having a computer now.

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

get a new bios chip?

3. Hixin

Hixin What's a Dremel?

Considered it but wheres the fun in it, be handy to know of a way to repair it instead of replacing.

Was considering finding a cheap P8M2V on ebay and flashing the P8M3V bios using that. But I need to check if the bios chip is soldered onto the board when im next at my parents. Hopefully it isnt.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Most BIOS chips are replaceable, you can do hot flashing, but I strongly reccomend against it, normally its just a case of contacting the ebay seller, asking them to flash a specific BIOS to it, then getting the chip and swapping it over. Worked perfect for me. I tend to keep a few spare chips around for certain motherboards.

5. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

i would go back to the shop and demand a new mobo.
    if that dosent work yes you can normaly swap chips.

6. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

Yeah, the techie screwed up. Let his shop fix (or pay for) the mess.

7. Charles1

Charles1 What's a Dremel?

make them pay if he or she screwed up then by law its required that the shop pays for damages done. Or in worst case get you the same motherboard.

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

They should be complaining to the shop not you!

9. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

It's not your problem to solve, it's the repair shops problem. Go back and tell them to fix it and don't leave the shop until they agree. If they refuse to fix it, report them to trading standards.

10. spoon13

spoon13 What's a Dremel?

I agree with everyone else here; demand that they fix the problem they caused.

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

I've hot flashed a BIOS chip before with no problems...saying that though, I don't know if I'd want to do it again for fear of screwing something up.

Find a PC with the same BIOS chip type and boot into DOS (or a command prompt of some description). Carefully remove the BIOS chip and replace it with the borked one. Run the flashing software and flash with the correct BIOS version. Turn off the PC, remove the chip and put it back in the original PC...job's a good 'un.

More detailed info here.

Only other option is to buy another chip with the correct BIOS pre-flashed onto it. Or send the borked one to someone who can flash it for you...