1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Cowboy Server

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Roskoken, 16 Oct 2011.

1. Roskoken

Roskoken New Member

Just bought a cheapo PC out the charity shop for £40, was planning on using it as a file sharing server.

Just wonder how the logistics of this all work.

So the cheapo rig is connect to the ADSL modem with an ethernet, and me big TV.

I have 1 vista laptop and 1 windows 7 laptop. I want them to connect to the cheapo XP rig to stream media from it.

How easy is that?, i dont have to make the cheap xp pc wireless do i?

2. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 New Member

Change the cheap PC's name to something you can remember and make the workgroup on all the PC's the same.
    Then on the cheapo, you right click folders that you want to share and give each one a name. If using XP Home, the options are a bit more simplified, but if you've got XP Pro you can turn off the "simple file sharing" (google it) and set up detailed permissions for which users can access each share. If you google "windows file sharing" there are lots of articles explaining this.

Then when you go to another PC, you can browse to \\computer (where computer is the name of your "server") and then you can see your shares...that's pretty much it. As long as the computers are all on the same network, they will be able to see each other.
    You can also make a share into a drive letter (map network drive).
    I would also recommend making the usernames and passwords on all the PC's exactly the same, otherwise you would have to type it every time you accessed a share.

Roskoken likes this.
  3. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

Do you have a wireless router, or a combined wireless router and modem? If not, you'll need to buy a wireless card for the new computer. If you do have wireless in the house, then you can set up the xp machine as a file server - a quick google should give you the information required.

There is a workaround using shared files on xp, which I can explain if you would like, but it's not as polished as some of the other methods.

Cheers
    enterobsidian

edit: ^ Beat me to it

4. Roskoken

Roskoken New Member

Nice one cheers man

5. Roskoken

Roskoken New Member

Aye its all good man, streamin over both the other laptops the now