1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU and Memory cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ant1981, 17 Sep 2011.

1. Ant1981

Ant1981 Member

Ok, one last thing (I think) is cooling.

CPU:

It has been suggested to look Dark Rock Advanced, then someone said that the components on it produce heat itself which might make its way to the processor, I can't really see that myself.

Then someone mentioned water cooling. Should I? I don't intend on over clocking really. What should I be looking for? In the past, I've just gone for something copper and big and I think it's been ok.

Memory:

I've never ever considered cooling memory, but maybe I should? If so, why? And what do I need to look for?

I've done some searches, but not really come up with alot. Cheers.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

No cooler produces heat.

Do not watercool if you are not overclocking.

RAM (memory) does not need cooling.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Well that's the end of that thread then :hehe:

But just so it looks like I'm contributing, RAM nowadays never gets hot enough to require anything more than the heatsinks on it. Watercooling isn't really necessary if not overclocking, it'll keep your hardware nice and cool but it's quite a bit of expense when a decent air cooler will do the job just fine.

As for the cooler producing heat, it isn't possible. The cooler would need a power supply to produce heat, you can't produce energy without having some sort of input.

Edit: +rep to longweight for letting me have the last word :thumb: lol And for ending the thread in the first post/

Last edited: 17 Sep 2011
  4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Just had to have the last word didn't you!

:lol:

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The only coolers that produce heat are TECs, and thats because they're heat pumps.

Watercooling is more expensive by a factor of ten, so don't go down this route.

And to add to the above, RAM doesn't need specific cooling, but its good to have a case with decent airflow for it and the motherboard.

6. Ant1981

Ant1981 Member

Thanks for the replies, but can anyone reccomend me a cooler? Do socket 1156 coolers fit 1155? As on DABS, they mainly seem to be 1156.

7. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

2 coolers i'd reccomend are the Dark Rock Advanced, or the Thermaltake Frio and yes socket 1156 coolers will fit socket 1155 :)

8. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

1156 coolers will fit socket 1155 BUT you should be aware that there are some coolers that could clash with your motherboard's heatsinks or memory sticks. Once you decide on a cooler make sure you have enough clearance around the socket to mount it...

BTW height is another thing you should keep in mind. Some coolers are HUGE!

9. Ant1981

Ant1981 Member

Thanks.

If I feel like it, I may well go water cooled to keep the temps down even if I don't over clock, but I've got a bit of time yet.

10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if your not overclocking theres not even an need to use anything other than the intel stock fan as its perfectly capable of coolign the CPU.

if you think its too loud (its not very loud) then a decent air cooler will be less noisey and give better temps.

watercooling really doesnt have any business in a PC that is not overclocked unless you like wasting money.

11. Huge

Huge aka Dave

If you want to dabble with water cooling in an easy and relatively cheap way, can I suggest getting something like an H-50 or H-70? It's a self contained water cooling loop for your CPU only, you screw a pump and small reservoir onto your CPU and the water gets pumped up the pipes to a small radiator that you fit to an external 120mm fan. Strap another 120mm fan on the other side and you will stay as cool as a cucumber :lol:

I've got an H-50 :)

[​IMG]

12. Bede

Bede Well-Known Member

Or just buy a Gelid Tranquillo and have no worries about noise, temps or leakage. It's also half the price.

13. Ant1981

Ant1981 Member

Well I find a massive copper, Talman is running my cpu at 58 degrees, so maybe a watercooler is a good idea.

14. -=ice=-

-=ice=- New Member

I had a play with an old 3800X2 and water, used a 2x120 rad, the CPU even with a massive OC gets upto around 40º and stays there for an hour or so at full load, is pretty fun to mess about with, and if I ever build a new high end PC all the WC gubbins will be swapped over.

However, if theres no overclocking to be done pretty much any recent heatsink will be good enough, it's not like the old pentium4/room heater days :)

As for the memory, unless you're running FBDIMMs there no need for memory cooling, although, if overclocking heat spreaders, and perhaps heatsinks can keep things going at higher clocks.

15. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

What CPU as that could be perfectly acceptable

16. Ant1981

Ant1981 Member

Is there such a water cooling kit where I could mount a radiator externally? If I go internal, non modular with no intention to water cool the graphics, then the Corsair H range is good, but I'd like to not dissipate heat inside the case, regardless of exhaust fans.

17. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Well-Known Member

The point is if you fit fans on both sides of the rad then there is plenty of airflow to push any heat out of the case.

FYI I'm using a Artic Cooler Pro 7 as the guy in the shop said he's using one and does the job. I think he was just trying to sell old stock and Thermaltake Frio's where out of stock. Either way on my rig it keeps my cpu at 34-35c and only shoots up to forty when under load.

My case in HAF 932 which helps somewhat with airflow and heat removal.

I just ran IntelBurnTest, five runs on Standard and the max temprature was 49c. I don't know if this would be better with Thermaltake Frio or Dark Rock, but for the price I paid for the Cooler I'm not complaining.

Though I may upgrade the cooler at some point. It's doing it's job for me right now. I think it's the only thing I wasnt fully happy about having when I bought the computer. But when you want something that you have waited for then you will go with it.

18. Ant1981

Ant1981 Member

No one know of any?

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Well-Known Member

Regarding memory cooling? For the most part it's not needed, as long as there is plenty of air flow through your case then Memory will be fine. There are plenty of people using low profile ram instead of the stuff with heat sinks attached. Simply so they fit large cpu coolers such as the Frio or dark Rock.

20. driftingphil

driftingphil New Member

buy a h80 it comes with two fans so you can put them in push pull setup.