1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needs deleting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44638, 20 May 2020.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jun 2020
  2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The Pure Rock is rated for up to 150W TDP so more than enough for your 3600. If you have the additional clip for another fan, give it a go as you have nothing to lose.

I think we have been through your case intake & exhaust fan situation before haven't we?

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Unless thing have changed dramatically in the last couple of years (unlikely), going push/pull id usually only worth an extra couple of degrees, but it's a sight cheaper than shelling out unnecessarily for a different cooler.

What temps are you getting? The Pure Rock should be more than enough for an overclocked 3600.

However, if you had an attack of the ShinyThang fever and this is simply a case of want over need, then stop trying to justify and buy the damn thing already.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1 to adding another fan and seeing what difference that makes as it's free.

I personally wouldn't bother going from one half decent air cooler to a slightly better air cooler, but as David said, if it's a want then go for it :)

5. GeorgeStorm

Adding another fan should help temps, increasing fan speeds should help temps, or you could look at it from another angle and play around with undervolting slightly.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'll just drop a reminder of what I said long ago about your build, you'd probably gain more temps wise from a case with better ventilation than a slightly better cooler.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  7. GeorgeStorm

Have you tried simply adding another fan to the cooler or case/upping fan speeds? Or undervolting, may as well try free/lower cost solutions before having to commit to something more expensive that still may not fix the problem :)

8. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Out of interest, what temps are you getting that you’re uncomfortable with?

other ‘free’ fixes include removing the cooler and checking the TIM is spread properly, possibly re-TIMing, running with the front door of the P280 open to increase airflow

9. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Had a slim bequiet on my 3600 (just a 92mm fan jobbie i think), anyway, due to temps being only marginally better than the crappy cooler that came with the chip, I swapped it with an old dark rock 2 pro, and was much happier with the results. Even the 3600 does seem to like a beefy cooler. I'm thinking about getting a cheap AIO now, as it feels like ages since i messed with the PC.

10. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I know it’s warm at the moment, but a max idle temp of 61 does seem a bit high. It’s worth running a temperature monitor for a while and seeing what the average is as well as the peak as Ryzen does seem to spike a bit.

I always do a torture test when I build to see how it copes under full load, as that’s where any damage is going to be done

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm confused, I see nothing wrong with those temperatures.

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ryzen "idle" temps jumping all around the place is perfectly normal (although as BeauchN mentions, 61c does seem high). My wife's 3600X doesn't exactly the same under a 120mm AIO as Windows shuffles tasks around between cores and the CPU reacts by boosting to its max single core turbo for brief periods (along with corresponding spikes in voltages triggering the temp increase).

Basically its just part of its normal boost algorithms.

From memory under full Cinebench R20 load her hits around the mid 60's to maybe nudging into the low 70's.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So why do you post them? Seriously, this isn't a dig but an honest question - you occasionally post a rather woolly thread or comment in an existing thread which is sometimes difficult to parse, then get frustrated about it afterwards; and I'm at a loss as to why.

Vault-Tec and Bloody_Pete like this.
  14. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

I have a 2700 all core 4ghz at 1.3 (ish) volts and a 120mm coolermaster AIO, I just finished my wifes computer which has a beefy but not on the radar, dual 120mm evermax air tower with a 3600x that the asus bios self clocked at 4.1ghz at 1.3 ish volts (both are on the round down side of the decimal point)

my machine has dual 120 front intakes, the AIO on top as a intake and a 120 + 135 PSU (cause I am a heathen and mounted my bottom PSU fan side up) out
    her machine has dual 120's in and a single 120 out

my machine hovers around 39c to 43c just doing normal home computer crap and typically idol's 38-41
    her's gets closer to 50 doing her normal thing (which is a billion tabs open in firefox) and idols 41-45c

so lots o airflow keeps the fans fairly calm, which is something one is not going to get in a silent focused case, but they tend to have a breathing effect as things ramp up and down, and if they do start to go full tilt ... they are not quiet (though the darn video card is at least 3x as loud) and that is something to consider if you are bothered with noise.

Its about striking a balance tween heat and noise you are willing to accept. Back to your 61c if your on windows 10, I was coming home to my CPU idling at like 56c, like WTF, and opening task manager found that the stupid microsoft photo's app had used like 59 hours of cpu time within a week, vs something like gamebar, which I actually use a lot was 22 min.

I disabled that and everything is good, so start snooping around to see what's actually using your cpu, that alone can make a world of difference (kind of like the old windows 95 days where one would spend a day or two pimping things like gui settings and deleting help files to get the max out of our pentiums)