1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU cooling fan - Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digitalspy, 24 Jan 2012.

1. digitalspy

digitalspy What's a Dremel?

Ok,

Right now I have a standard 120mm Blue LED Case fan in place for my CPU. Its actually more efficient than the previous fan, keeps temps 5'C cooler. At any rate I need a fan that will plug into my mother board so I don't have to keep hitting F1 on boot up (no CPU fan detected - continue anyway) Also so the veriable speed can be controlled too.

Where can I get a Blue LED fan that has the same connector as the one picture below (original stock fan):

[​IMG]

Or alternatively is there a way of wiring a standard case fan up to the plug pictured. I assume it wont be speed variable but will the CPU then register a fan is connected?

Thanks in advance guys :thumb:

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Not sure what motherboard you are connecting the fan to but that plug isn't a standard Fan Header so you'll not find many fans with it.

3. digitalspy

That's my problem lol :/

The fan actually only has 4 pins in the plug (4 pins but 5 holes) So I am thinking, I can splice a the 5 pin plug onto a 4 pin fan. Does that sound feasible to you guys?
    :idea:

4. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Just go into the BIOS and disable the fan alarm.

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

It's that same plug that I got with my Delta PFC1212's. I rewired it to a 4 pin PWM. removed the fan plug, cut off the old connectors, stripped wire, solder on new conncetors and add cable sleeve(optional) before attaching a PWM fan plug.
    You'll need new connectors though since the connectors on those aren't compatible with standard PC fan head plugs.
    ie, these:
    [​IMG]

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I think digitalspy is trying to do the opposite, splice a standard fan onto the non standard plug.

Possible if you want to cut the plug of the existing fan and splice onto a new one.

Does your motherboard not have any standard fan headers? using one of these and disabling the CPU Fan warning would be way easier.

7. digitalspy

Sadly there was no way to disable the warning with this machine, after exhausting every bios option available I turned to the internet, where it was confirmed that the warning cannot be disable on this system.

So I spliced a 4 pin PWM to the 5 pin plug and attached it back to the Motherboard, everything is working fine now, no warning....and speed variable. Sorted.

Thanks all everything is fine now ;)