1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlueOcean, 15 Jul 2008.

1. BlueOcean

BlueOcean What's a Dremel?

I want better cpu fan to cool off the heat from cpu. Which better brand names? , I still use heat fan came with intel cpu. :yawn:

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

the cheap route would be an artic cooler 7 pro, the better cooler but more expensive is the thermalright ultra 120 eXtreme. If you get the ultra 120 extreme, your going to have to buy a 120 mm fan seperate though.

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

4. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

If you've got the budget for it, there's nothing that tops the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. If not, you can always go with the AC Freezer 7, I love mine.

5. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

If you want a nice middle ground between the two I'd recomend the Tuniq Tower 120...

I changed my fan but even with the stock fan on it and a bit of TX-2 paste it kept my Q6600 at 28 idle and 57 load @ 3ghz with the fan set to minimum...

I only changed my fan as I wanted a higher overclock and not the noise associated with having the fan on high... The Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme (TRUE) is possibly the greatest cooler on air and will even beat out some fo the cheeper water cooling units i'm told but it is rather expensive, the heatsink itself is quite a bt and then a good fan on top of that...

So all in all I say Tuniq... Plus the TRUE was a dog to install when I tried it the Tuniq and AC7 are pretty painless installations...

6. Chokwok

Chokwok What's a Dremel?

Check out Zalman coolers and fans also.

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

If cooling is all-important, the TRUE 120 is arguably the leading contender.

If you want a balance between cooling and noise, the Thermalright HR-01 Plus [can be used passive or with a low-flow fan (e.g. Noctua NF-P12)] is the leading contender.

They are actually very similar models, but the HR-01 Plus has a wider fin spacing so that lower pressure/lower CFM (i.e quieter) fans can be used effectively.

8. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

i got a AC Freezer 7 today :D cant test it out though as i havent got my mobo or cpu yet. but it looks like it's up to the job

9. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm happy with mine, much quiter than my old amd cooler on my old rig (zalman fatality, damn good but damn loud)

10. Akava

Akava Lurking...

The AC Freezer 7 is an awesome cooler at a great price, can fully recommened it. :thumb:

11. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Funnily enough, I've just got rid of mine in favour of the HR-01/NF-P12 combo. This new kit is slightly quieter (a bit subjective) but a whole 10C cooler. That said, the Freezer Pro 7 is a great cooler; £15 and pretty quiet and pretty cool.

All this is pretty ironic given that the current Intel HSF for the C2D range is the best that's every been provided by the OEM; but as they improve, we just get more demanding. :)

12. BlueOcean

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme look the same as ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm, and Zerotherm ZEN FZ120. Pretty much it.

13. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

They may look vaguely the same, but so do many others. But the quality of the materials, the quality of the manufacture and the subtleties of design make all the difference.

14. BlueOcean

Yup are differnece.

15. BlueOcean

I don't know how well this zalman coolers?

16. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Zalman made their name with a few generations of after-market coolers that were quieter than stock ones. They also tended to be cooler - bonus. But according to most recent reviews and benchmarks, they are currently very mediocre. They will still be cooler and quieter than stock, but there are quieter, cooler and cheaper kit out there.

17. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

The Thermalright is the ultimate choice, but comes at a huge price. The current choices at the moment are probably the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the OCZ Vendetta 2, which are much cheaper than the Thermalright, but not too far away when it comes to performance.

Tags: