1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU CPU flaw advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dennis1234567, 9 Feb 2018.

  1. Dennis1234567

    Dennis1234567 New Member

    Joined:
    28 Aug 2015
    Posts:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    For the last few weeks i have been upgrading my system. While the whole process was problem free i have hit a snag regarding my next CPU, and i'm not sure of my next move.

    With the latest security flaw from the Intel stable, and the Keystone cops approach over the first patch, i'm not sure if i should wait and see what happens next before upgrading. If Intel's plan of redesigning their chips to remove the flaw actually happens will it crash the prices of those chips that require a programming solution? Will there ever be a final programming solution?
     
  2. The_Crapman

    The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

    Joined:
    5 Dec 2011
    Posts:
    3,329
    Likes Received:
    387
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's not an issue that will affect you a great deal. What will affect you is the bum pain you'll feel from the price of ram and gpu's.
     
    adidan likes this.
  3. Dennis1234567

    Dennis1234567 New Member

    Joined:
    28 Aug 2015
    Posts:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    I know what you mean. I bought a Palit GTX 1080 Jetstream 8GB and i'm still getting up off the floor
     
  4. adidan

    adidan Avatar is nearly back in season.

    Joined:
    25 Mar 2009
    Posts:
    12,196
    Likes Received:
    836
    Yeah that'll happen when you sell a kidney.

    Ryzen+ will be out in the next couple of months IIRC. Maybe worth seeing what that's like. Design based solutions are due from Intel later this year and Ryzen2 next year.
     
    Corky42 likes this.
  5. TheMadDutchDude

    TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

    Joined:
    23 Aug 2013
    Posts:
    4,357
    Likes Received:
    361
    Wait for Zen+ as Adidan said above. It should bring great things, and the socket itself is supported until at least 2020, making sure there's a solid upgrade path for you for the next few years at least.
     
  6. Austin

    Austin Active Member

    Joined:
    16 Jul 2004
    Posts:
    2,016
    Likes Received:
    8
    If your system is running fine then I wouldn't upgrade. I believe outside of targeted benchmarking you're unlikely to notice any speed reduction in general day-to-day tasks even including gaming. I've got 3 PCs in my house and all are running i5/Xeon from more than 5 years ago but to upgrade the CPU, mobo and RAM to equivalent (not better) performing new parts would cost in the region of £400-500 *EACH*. At the moment I'd still be upgrading to a flawed CPU which requires a ham-fisted patch to operate safely (if it's even truly safe/stable). I would wait unless you have money to burn; CPUs which aren't affected are due out later this year.

    If this was a car manufacturer who found out the wheelnuts they'd been using for the past 7 years can just fall off at any time or there's a fault in the engine design which means it can explode randomly at any point there'd be an outcry if they didn't "make it right" at no cost to consumers. It's pretty disgusting that we're all just supposed to dispose of our systems (especially those over 5 years old) and just buy new ones. That's like rewarding them for their incompetence!
     
  7. edzieba

    edzieba Virtual Realist

    Joined:
    14 Jan 2009
    Posts:
    2,613
    Likes Received:
    144
    AFAIAA, Intel have only said that some CPUs with a SPECTRE mitigation will be available "by the end of 2018", and AMD have not even announced a timeframe for when they will start shipping CPUs with SPECTRE mitigation.
    That being the case, unless you intend to wait until next year then you don't really have an option of 'hardware fixed' chips, and are reliant on microcode-level and OS-level mitigations. Intel's microcode patches have been a bit dicey (though fixed ones are supposedly rolling out) and AMD's are still MIA.
     
  8. Anfield

    Anfield Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    15 Jan 2010
    Posts:
    3,959
    Likes Received:
    206
    New prices? No, you won't get a bargain if you wait, relevant PC components don't receive meaningful discounts.
    Used prices? No, especially considering how dirt cheap used Xeons already are on ebay...
    For example some time ago I bought a 35W quad core Xeon for under £60 inc shipping for use in my NAS, the point is that you don't get much resale value from Intel CPUs regardless of Meltdown / Spectre.
     

Share This Page