1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU is 2.4quad but shows differ on program

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Steve-0, 7 Feb 2008.

1. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

i have a quad core 2.4ghz q6600 on an gigabyte DS4 X38 chipset
    It says 2.13ghz quad when booting up, but when i ran the gigabyte easytuner thing it showed it at 1.8 something then 1.5 or w/e
    i have NO clue what is going on here.. i got a 2gig kit of Kingston hyper x sli certified ram, since my other mobo died on me
    im using the same ram. how come my CPU is so damn slow to what its suppose to be?

EDIT: im now on the reliability and performance report thing on control panel
    this is vista ultimate 32bit as well, in CPU it says 2.4ghz 4 processors.
    im confused.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2008
  2. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

Intel's speed step (disabled in bios) throttles back the processor when it's not being used at full load

3. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

ok thanks, i thought this was only for the notebooks, like centrino....

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

You can disable the speedstep thing, usually, in the bios. I did on my quad cause I didnt like the power spiking my OC'd cpu real high then dumping down to slow speeds. 3.2ghz all the way! :)

5. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

I couldnt find "speed step" in bios
    but i did find this one bout CID or some crap, and the info said it reduces core clock.
    so i disabled that.i didnt see "speed Step" in bios anywhere

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Speedstep may be labelled EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology). There's C1E (CPU Enhanced Halt) which saves power in a different way under different circumstances. Both are enabled by default on my Gigabyte board and don't seem to cause any power surge problem. EIST reduces the multiplier (from x10 to x6 on mine) when the CPU is idle, C1E reduces FSB and Vcore on Halt. EIST is what you're seeing. C1E is the one to disable when overclocking but I've never seen it in action.

Get hold of CPU-Z, watch the multiplier at idle, then do something, it will flick up to full speed even if you're just refreshing a web page.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2008
  7. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

I couldnt find EIST, instead i found CIA. Computer intelligence accelerator
    i disabled it and the C1E thing, but still says 1.86 ghz !!!???
    what the hell?. is going on is my cpu bad?

Edit:

I got two videos running one on VLC Media player, and other WMP,
    ones a h264 HD rip, the others High qualtiy video (each one over an hour long)
    and i got foobar200 running max settings, and the net dling stuff,
    cpu-z is running and goes from 1.866, up to 1.869 every other second
    in the core speed thing

8. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

There's nothing wrong with your processor. It's operating exactly as it was designed to.

If whatever you're doing doesn't require the full power of the processor, it throttles back and saves electricity. If you do something that requires the full power of the CPU, like Orthos, then it'll throttle up all the way. Try watching the speeds when you're actually doing something demanding - running two videos, a web browser, and some music hasn't been classified as demanding since Windows 98 came out.

As for disabling it, or even worrying about it - why? It saves electricity by only being as fast as it needs to be. As soon as you need more performance, it steps back up to speed instantly. There is absolutely no performance decrease and absolutely no downside. You can even overclock with it still enabled. Leave all the power-save functions (EIST, C1E, etc) enabled, or please explain to me why you don't want to.

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Their only real bane is when you OC. Last thing you need is to be scaling higher voltages down quickly...

10. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

Open a window on your PC (besides the program you use for looking at the speed). Take and drag that window around your desktop super fast for a few seconds and watch the speed, it should jump up 2.4ghz.

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

1.866 is 1.869, they're not different speeds. What does CPU-Z show as your FSB and multiplier? And CPU, come to that. Can you post a screen grab?

If your BIOS thinks it's a 2.13GHz CPU (Q6400) you may need a flash to the latest version, looks like it's not setting 266FSB and x9.

12. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

it says Q6600 in CPUZ
    last nite i set the CIA2 at full thrust, but it wouldnt without being on safe mode
    when i went into CPUZ then, it said Quad Core Extreme Q6600 when i restarted to normal windows, it went back to Q6600 plain in the CPUZ,
    and it still says Q6600, 266fsb with 7X multi

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The important thing is what your BIOS thinks the processor is, and at the moment it's got it wrong. Check the mobo BIOS version in CPU-Z, if it's not F2 get F2 for "improved CPU compatibility". :lol:

Last edited: 10 Feb 2008
  14. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

Clicked the link says address not found

and also how do i install a bios
    do do i install it and restart pc
    last time i changed a bios on an evga 680i
    it just fried the mobo
    something bout CMOS
    i dont know how to do BIOS updates..

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

open up cpu-z and tell us what bios ver you are useing (should be under Mainboard / Bios > version) 2.13Ghz is the fail safe setting when OC has norm failed

staying @ 1.8ghz i see this happen on one of mycustomer board the fix was to turn off all powermanagment options in bios (EIST stuff or Intel's speed step some bios name it dif i have an look at PDF readme file now)

Under Advanced BIOS Features Disable each on of these
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) (Note) [Enabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) (Note) [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function (Note) [Enabled]

make sure CPU does not pass 70c (can go alot higher then then as the auto shutdown is 100c but best to keep it below 70c when overclocking if you are)

Last edited: 9 Feb 2008
  16. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

F1

17. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

Can i update BIOS in Safe mode?

18. leexgx

dam pc BSOD on me trying to make me pc stable at 3.4ghz Q6600 just an little unstable

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2672

before doing anything that page is relateding to the GA-X38-DS5 is that your mobo

goto bios and press F8 (says so in bios) and update the bios from an USB pen drive {should be under c: or d:)}(look at manual on there web site on how to do it )

allso read my last post are them options disabled

19. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

I got DS4

20. leexgx