1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU CPU/MB/RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popcornuk1983, 24 Feb 2013.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

I've looked at the bit-tech buyers guide but thought I'd ask for your valuable input.

Current Specs
    Core2Quad Q6600 @3.4Ghz
    4GB Ram
    Asus Direct CUII 1GB Geforce 560 Ti (not the 448 core version)
    650W PSU

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU to get some extra oomph out of my games. And as there is no upgrade path from a quad core CPU on a socket 775 board I'm going to have to upgrade my CPU/MB/RAM.

I would like to overclock but it's not essential (it's my understanding that current intel chips are only fully unlocked if they have the K in the name). I have no understanding of what AMD currently offer in terms of gaming performance but I'm more than happy to switch back to AMD if I can get the performance I'm after.

I've used various tech websites to compare my current quad core chip to that of an intel 2500K and the performance difference (with the same GPU) is rather large. I also understand that there would be no point in forking over for a new GPU as my CPU is going to bottleneck it.

For budget limitations, I'm going to say no more that £300 for the CPU/MB/RAM bundle. I've seen some ivy bridge non K bundles online for just under 300 with 8GB of ram.

What would you suggest I get?

Any answered are mucho appreciated :D

2. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

popcornuk1983 likes this.
  3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

4. popcornuk1983

Excellent guys, thanks very much for the responses. I'll defiantly be going for it when I get paid later this week.

2 quick questions. How much of an overclock have you been able to squeeze out of the 3570K? I've seen some cases of them hitting well over 4Ghz.

When I go to buy the basket from scan whats the process to get free shipping? I didn't even know BT done this!

Cheers :)

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

6. Kodongo

Kodongo What's a Dremel?

Q1. Most people seem to be able to get 4.4GHz easily. However, at around 4.4/4.5GHz with Ivy Bridge, there is an inflection point where you need great air cooling/AIO cooling to keep the chip cool at higher frequencies. So I think the sweet spot for performance/efficiency/longevity is about 4.4GHz or 4.5GHz as it doesn't require too much voltage.

Q2. All you need to do is create a Scan account and when you're logged in click on this link to add the free shipping to that account. Here is the original article if you require any more information.

:thumb:

7. narwen

narwen narwen

the g43 is not a very good board. scan has the gigabyte ga-z77-d3h with a i5 3570k on today only for £246. plus the memory suggested by harlequin for a total of £286

mrbungle likes this.
  8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I would totally agree and avoid low end msi stuff!

9. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

Whoops, sorry for including this in the basket I posted. I saw it was a hot seller but must confess I hadn't looked at any reviews and I've not had any experience with MSI boards. On the whole though I thought MSI were supposed to be pretty good but that is probably the more expensive ones.

10. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

I must confess although I have an ASUS RoG board and an excellent little 3570K I have not overclocked it (yet) although the intention is there and is the reason why I went for such a setup. Yes this is probably a cardinal sin and I must apologise! :)

I will get around to it in the next few weeks, just had way too much going on at the moment.

11. popcornuk1983

Perfect guys. Thanks for the updated suggestions. I'm sold on the RAM and the CPU. Gonna have a looks at reviews for the boads suggested and make a choice :)

Thanks for answering Kodongo. Looking forward to overclocking this bad boy. I've pushed my core2quad as high at it'll go on air cooling.

12. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yes, the G43 boards in particular don't have any kind of voltage settings in the BIOS!

13. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

I have just done a build with a ga-z77-d3h

very nice board for the price TBH

I normally avoid MSI boards TBH

Last edited: 26 Feb 2013
  14. popcornuk1983

Tut tut. Shame on you sir! ;)

15. popcornuk1983

That's it ordered :D

Went for the Gigabyte board most of you suggested, the 3570K and 8GB Corsair Vengance (CAS9):

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/ff4258ee64284d0780c21827e2c25af0

Just under £300 bucks after the shipping charge was removed (Thanks Bit-Tech!). Looking forward to it.

I'm going to put my old parts on eBay to cover some of the cost. Should I sell them individually or as a bundle? How much do you think would be a reasonable price for them (specs in sig)?

16. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Basket says sandy bridge i5-2500k ?

17. popcornuk1983

Woah, heart skipped a beat there. I created the basket again after I'd already paid just to show what I'd bought. Thankfully my original order had the right CPU on it :duh:

18. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Very good that you took out the Scansure insurance

It's great to be covered for bent mobo pins

19. Xir

Xir Modder

How is the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H compared to the Asus P8Z77-V LX?

Shame there is no "affordable board" shootout.

20. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

They are probably both good. Pretty similar overall. The Gigabyte has a heatsink on the VRMs though.