1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice CPU, MoBo and GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DLDeadbolt, 18 Sep 2013.

1. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

:dremel::dremel:

Hey folks.

Looking for a new CPU, Mobo and GPU to gift myself in the next few weeks.

Looking at something along the lines of a GTX 770, i5-4670K, etc

Anyone help me with ideas for good combos for gaming, something that will kick Battlefield 4 up the arse?

Afterthought:
    *Might need a new case aswell, as the Silverstone PS02 I currently have barely fits my current mobo (Asus P7P55D-LE, size 30.5cm x 21.8cm) along with the PSU (Corsair TX850W)

Not sure if I would need new RAM (Corsair XMS3 4x2gb [2x1600mhz 2x1333mhz]), but can easily get new RAM

:thumb:

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Using mismatched ram isn't really a good idea. Get a second set of 1600Mhz ram to match those you have. A GTX 770, 4670K and a decent motherboard would be fine for BF4.

You have some choices now because you want a new case. What kind of form factor do you want? Full size? Micro-atx or mini-itx? If you're getting a new case your Power supply would be fine, even for a Haswell set up.

3. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Probably go for a Full Size case as I'll probably be adding a few more Harddrives.

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Myriad of choices. All depends on budget. And miss matched ram=bad.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

5. Darkwisdom

Get a decent Asus board would be my advice. Something like a Z87-pro or a Maximus VI formula. Depends on your budget. If you're going to fork out for a 4670k, get the Maximus VI Formula or Extreme. I would get the formula because it is a very attractive board; OCs very well too. As for cases, I can't advise there. It's all personal choice.

6. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Yeah, budget for the 3 would be around 600-700 (could go for more depending on how much my salary increase is (1st raise in 3+years)

7. Darkwisdom

What are all of the components you are going to need?

8. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

CPU mobo and GPU

RAM and case I can get later (have a spare Full case, but airflow isn't great)

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

At least the HD 7970. They're incredibly cheap now.

10. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

^ This, they are great value at the moment.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Another vote for the 7970. Brilliant value for money.

Don't worry about the mismatched RAM. It'll just be downclocked to 1600MHz (your slowest kit) and memory compatibility issues are a thing of the past. They have been for years.

12. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Would going for a 2011 socket be a better idea since I dont want to upgrade too much again for another 3-4years?

SOmething like an i7-4820k (IB-E) quad core and a X79 board like this or this

If not, I'll more than likely stick to the 4770k, a Gigabyte Z87 board (UD3H or UD4H) or maybe even the Asus Maximus hero. Graphics-wise, its a tossup between the GTX 680 and the 770, but leaning heavily towards 770.

13. TheMadDutchDude

Any reason to go for the 770? The 7970 is pretty much as fast and costs up to £100 less. Is it just an NVIDIA/AMD thing?

I'd go with Haswell, the 4770K. It's quicker than the X79 in CPU tasks and such and it will easily hold its own for years to come I'd say.

14. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

trying to look at not having to upgrade again for another 3years.

No preference of AMD/NVidia... My current is a HD 5850 but is dead... how I've managed to keep it alive over the past few months while still getting it to play BF3 is a mystery.

Though with the shift of game manufacturers away from Nvidia recently, an AMD card would probably be better

15. TheMadDutchDude

The 7970 is as good as a 770 in most cases and it is a hell of a lot cheaper too.

That's where my money would go in all honesty. :)

16. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Okay, I'll go with the 7970 then.

Anyone got prices cheaper than these?
    (I've heard Scan's RMA has gone downhill lately, so might not want to buy from them)

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H Intel Z87 - £155.75 (Aria.co.uk)
    Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) - £255.11
    Radeon HD 7970 - £250-300 depending on model (of which I have no clue of the difference)

17. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

If all you're doing is gaming then get a AMD 8 core. The money you save can be put into better GPUs or a SSD.

For example the 8320 is £130 less than the 4770k yet when overclocked will perform about the same in games. The motherboard will be £30 less (go for a Giga UD3) which can be put into the pot for something else.

18. TheMadDutchDude

Disagree with the above, completely.

If you want to get the most out of your GPUs, you need an Intel CPU. There's no questioning it.

If the OP has already budgeted enough for an Intel i7, why would he be interested in an inferior CPU? By that logic, you may as well get a Phenom II X6 and be done. They're just as fast as an FX chip. AMD haven't made any progress since those days. In fact, Phenom II performed better in a lot of games when I tested it against an FX-8120.

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If gaming is the main thing, then I'd also look at AMD, article I saw recently:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6934/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-single-multigpu-at-1440p

Some interesting results. Sure the 4770k is a moire powerful cpu in general, but if you're mainly looking to game, you could save some money on it and get a bigger SSD, better GPU etc, which I think would be a better way to spend your money (I would also not spend that much on a motherboard, but that's just me, if you think you'll need all of the features it has etc over the cheaper ones then go for it)

20. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Because it's better to have a faster GPU. It really is as simple as that. As the benchmarks and tests shown recently display, the CPU is not the main factor in achieving higher FPS counts.

If he went 8 core AMD he could then get, say, a GTX 780. At which point it will piss on the 770 with a 4770k.

Yes, in some tests the Phenom 2 hex core will perform the same. That's because it's a fine CPU and now that games are using more and more cores it's coming into its own. Which just rams home my point even more - it's better to spend the money on something that will make a difference, rather than something that won't.

Given a choice between a 4770k and a 770, or, a 8320 overclocked with a 780?

I'd take the 780 hands down every time. I run 670 SLI with a overclocked 8320 and as hard as it may be for you to believe ? my PC smashes games to bits.