1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU & Overclocking question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tizz0r, 27 Jul 2004.

1. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

I'm very new to overclocking, but I was wondering if it would be possible to get an 939 Athlon 64 3500+, 3800+, or FX-53 up to 4GHz. I know that it would have to be with some sort of extreme cooling, like phase change or a really cold water chiller. Do you think the system would be able to handle it? What speed RAM would I have to get?

My other question is about the RAM requirements of the 939 Athlon 64 FX-53. I know that the 939 Athlon 64 3500+ and 3800+ don't need registered RAM, but does the FX-53 still need that type of RAM? I would like to get the FX-53 because it's fully unlocked, but the price... :eeek:

2. AnarKy

AnarKy What's a Dremel?

I think thats totally impossible on AMD Chips m8. The highest ive seen was just above 3GHz on a 64Bit Chip.

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The 939 version of the FX-53 does not need ECS RAM. :) Indeed, the processor is very expensive. :blah: Either way, you are not going to get the processor to that temperature; its simply not possible to push the architecture that high. However, at even just 2.5 Ghz, you could bury any Intel processor. :thumb:

4. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

By temperature did you mean to say speed? Or do you mean that the CPU wouldn't get hot enough for me to warrent the use of phase change cooling?

Is there somewhere I can see this machine? :D

5. Mr Smuck

Mr Smuck What's a Dremel?

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder