1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPUcity.co.uk not responding to emails

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by specofdust, 28 Apr 2006.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen a while back, that I posted a thread asking whether or not to return a HSF, because it was very, wonky, to use the best term.

Anyway, I returned the item, after an RMA number being put on my acount page on the website, by Royal Mail special delivery. I sent it on the 10th of this month. Since then, I've sent 3 emails to CPUcity.co.uk, the latest on Tuesday the 25th, asking for a response by Friday the 28th(today). They've replied to none of my emails.

The sum involved here isn't great, if I lose my money, I can accept that, but I would like to learn, what it is I need to do here, and how I should be handling something like this. Any information, or advice, would be much apreciated. I have a feeling theres a government site I need to go to, but I really can't remember which one.

Think thats everything, thanks :)

2. tank_rider

tank_rider New Member

My advice would be to try to phone them, its easy to ignore/overlook e-mails (or them get caught in a spam filter!!) but "a ringing phone has to be answered".

3. fatty

fatty New Member

The more emails the less they will respond so yeah just ring Aaron and ask him whats going on

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Sorry for the lateness of my reply, I was at a lan today. As far as I can see, theres no phone number on the website, which is why I havn't called them. If anyone knows of the number to call, if you could post it, that'd be supurb.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Bump. Really need any links to govt. sites that help with this sorta tihng, or that phone number, thanks again :)

6. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

What about contacting your credit card company? And do you guys have an equivalent of out BBB (better business bureau)? If there are any online retailer ratings sites, go there and explain the situation. Certain companies respond VERY quickly to bad publicity.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

We have trading standards, but I think that might be too much for this, they might just ignore my case due to the fact that its not a huge ammount of money. I have this feeling theres something that exists, some government orginisation, which allows you to demand a full refund or basicly force the company to be declared bankrupt, but I can't for the life of me remember what its called.

Unfortunately I paid with debit card, so theres not going to be any help from the bank I don't think.

8. M@tt

M@tt New Member

Maybe try PMing s.artois (the boss) in their forums, unless things have changed (I have not used CPU City for a while) they were very good in the past.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

08451 259896

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Brilliant, thanks guys. I'll try as you say M@tt, but only after I try giving them a call. Hopefully it can all be sorted out fairly easily now. Thanks again :D

11. Washfordmonkey

Washfordmonkey New Member

any luck with this specofdust? as i found the same number searching around on the net too.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I havn't managed to try the number yet Washfordmonkey, because its bank holiday Monday, but I'll give them a ring tomorrow morning and see what they have to say.

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

They had a motherboard of mine on RMA for 11 weeks and they did not deem me worthy of a response via e-mail either. :grr: After 4 phone calls, including one where the guy on the phone laughed when i pointed out how long he had my motherboard i posted a very lengthy post on their forum detailing what had happened and exactly what i thought of them. I also e-mailed it to their sales e-mail address and funnily enough within fifteen minutes a new motherboard had been dispatched and the post removed. :eyebrow:

The most annoying thing was they had been recommended to me for their 'excellent customer service'. I would never order from them again and would always advise others against doing so even though up until now i thought my case had been an isolated incident.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yes, I have a feeling they're treating me the same. It is odd, because they are so frequently recommended as an excellent company. Maybe they've got something against Scots :eek:

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, I've tried calling them three times now. The first and third times, I rang for about 5 minutes, the second time they were engaged(so they are actually using the phone, just not answering it). I'll try again shortly.

16. Garside

Garside New Member

You could always try the citizens advice bureau. http://www.nacab.org.uk/ give them a ring or visit a local office and they can help you out I think. I have never used them myself.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, I called a guy at Consumer Direct(government consumer orginisation) who was supurb. He told me to write a letter to them, stating a response was required within 14 days, and a full refund by a set date too, he gave me some info on what the law says, and was just generally very helpfull. Thumbs up for them. Now to exercise my pen!

18. Grant23

Grant23 New Member

I am in a similar boat with CPU city. I have used them a fair bit in the last 3 - 4 years and never had any trouble, however back in December I returned a DFI Nforce 4 Ultra-D because it was faulty as far as I could tell (wouldn’t power up, even after removing CPU etc).

They told me after testing it, that it was working fine but it had the reset switch snapped off. This must of either been due to their handling during testing or it happened in the post as it was fine when I packed it. They agreed to send it back to DFI for replacement anyway as I was having trouble with it in the first place with not booting, and they'd give me a refund as I had bought it to replace a previous RDX 200 I had bought from them anyway while I waited for that to be RMAd.

This was over 3 months ago now as I never received the refund, I phoned up over five times and each time Aaron would apologise for me not having yet received the refund and would promise he would process the refund straight away and to expect to see the refund on my card statement within 3 days. The same thing happened each of the five times I phoned up, up to this point now where they have disconnected their phone line and ignore all my emails and forum posts (they actually delete these).

It appears to me Aaron purposely strung me along making me think I was going to get my refund until the 120 days from purchase had past which is the point at which it becomes very difficult to dispute the payment on the credit card, just so they could steal my £100!!!!!!!!!!

I now have no motherboard that I paid for (working or not) and no refund. They are a bunch of thieves!!! There is nothing else to it! I suggest everyone avoids this retailer like the plague!!!!!!!

I am also now in the process of writing them a recorded delivery letter, threatening them with court action under the 1979 sale of goods act as I was told to do after contacting trading standards about the issue.

I only found this forum buy searching google for cpucity and trading standards! When I saw this post I had to sign up. I hope me sharing my experience will stop any of you having your money stolen by these conmen!

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, I've sent them a letter by recorded delivery. They have untill a set date this month to refund all monies(inc. postage costs) to my debit card, and they also have 14 days from recieipt of the letter to give a written response. Hopefully I'll get it sorted with that letter, but if not, Consumer Direct really seem very helpfull for these things.

It might be worth calling them Grant23. Hope you get it sorted, and welcome to bit-tech :)

20. Grant23

Grant23 New Member

I don't believe it! I've actually finally got a refund out of them!!

It's just appeared on my online credit card statement today. No emails or communication what so ever, but at least I've got my money! That was the most hassle I've ever had in my life over a refund though.

Good luck getting your money back Specofdust! looks like you should get it in the end. I had already mentioned trading standards posting on their forum and emailing them so maybe that finally made them sort it out.