1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crashed my bike earlier...

Discussion in 'General' started by FIBRE+, 25 May 2007.

1. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Come off my bike earlier on today, it hurt, a lot :(

I was coming back after going to check out a skatepark in the bournemouth area with my mate, started cranking real hard to keep speed up (on a bmx) and without warning the chain just snapped in mid pedal stroke. The bike hit the floor flat and I basically landed with all 13 stone of bodyweight on the palm of one hand and the rest was taken care of by my neck going straight into the end of the bars, it was lucky I had fitted some bar ends (as in plugs like these) the day before. It must of been a large ammount of force as it (felt like it)compressed my windpipe as I couldn't breath for a good 10 secs after I hit the road. I have had tons of high speed crashes on my mountain bike doing Downhill, like hitting trees at 30+mph and also landed hard from dirt jumping but this just wasn't nice at all, I can deal with pain but it was just really unsettling taking a hit to the throat and not knowing if im going to be able to breath any time soon.

My throat kills and I can't talk properly, also my hand hurts a lot and can't bend my thumb properly but im ok, just glad my mate was there otherwise if things had been worse then I could have been screwed.

Doesn't look like much in the pics but **** me did it hurt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 days later... My hand isn't dirty, thats all bruising (got plenty of others but thats the *best* one).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 27 May 2007
  2. nicotine

nicotine What's a Dremel?

I had an accident like that on my longboard last week. I was coming down a hill at about 20mph (32kph) and got speed wobbles and was thrown off my board, skinned my palms like nobodys business as well as my back elbow and knee on my left side. My shoulder is still bruised.

Road rash sucks.

3. gar

gar Minimodder

Crud, sorry to hear that. I am a cyclist and once smashed myself so bad, that my face was unrecognisable, (wouldn't be here if I wasn't wearing helemt), so I kinda know how you feel.

Hope you make a quick and full recovery! I'm sure you'll be checking your crankset chain and sprocket for a while, but that really is a freak accident. What do you think caused the chain to break?

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Ouch that sounds proper nasty 8/

5. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

It was on it's way out, I kill chains quite quickly just from cranking hard, pulled chainring tabs off mtb cranks before doing gate type starts, I run 3pc ali bmx cranks on my mountain bike now. TBH it didn't help that I'm running a borrowed slightly bent sprocket and just to rub it in I actually had a new chain in my bag I was going to fit earlier (but didn't). I don't think it will take long to recover, just a bit unsettled by the type of crash. Yours sounds a hell of a lot worse, im also glad I was wearing a helmet it took a bit of a thump but did the job.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow I hate crashing, especially when you are going that fast

if your windpipe still hurt tomorrow I would see a doctor just in case

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The only real accident I've had on my bike was two years ago, when I had an accident involving a 6ft drop and tree stump.

I ended up breaking 5 ribs, but damn, that throat looks nasty!

8. gar

gar Minimodder

Wow, I didn't know your could pull the tabs off! Sounds like the sprocket could have twisted the chain perhaps. With that kind of power I'd be thinking about track cycling too, like Jamie Staff, Chris Hoy and Craig Mc Clean did.

Windpipe anyway better?

9. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Yer I feel much better today, necks a bit swollen/bruised and so is my hand and I have a husky voice but i'm just glad I got away with it lightly. I think I owe my mate a pint or two as he helped me out and got me home :)

Maybe we need an injuries thread, could get a bit gruesome though :eyebrow:

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Pretty lucky you got away that good. You don't last long without air.

That would be cool. To bad i don't have any pictures from my little "argue" with a gasoline can. Accidentally set my head on fire...

Last edited: 26 May 2007
  11. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

Eina!! (that means OUCH in afrikaans ;) )

I'm a skateboarder, been doing it for nearly 8 years now, and i've had many grazes like that (just not on my neck :p ) but i can see that that's a painful one dude :|

12. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I just want to first ooff say...dude, will you please[/b} shrink your sig? It's been annoying the **** out of me ever since you've made it and it doesn't conform to forum rules (size one at four lines.)

On topic... the worse bike wreck I've had is when the front wheel of my bike licked up while going down a hill. I ended up skidding on the side of my face for about 30 feet and it left a nasty road rash on my face for a couple of weeks. I've also managed to knock myself out in the middle of a creek from missing a jump before but I was only knocked out for a couple of seconds so the only harm was that I was soaking wet and it was less then 20°F outside.

Just be glad that you didn't ccrush your windpipe man. It's not hard to hit your throat hard enough to crush it and you end up suffocating. Glad to hear you're alright.

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Jeez, bet that hurts, get well soon fella.

gar, ive done something very similar, and i think we both owe our thanks to helmets, and the ambulance service.

Sam

14. gar

gar Minimodder

Definately. The only thing that helmet did at the tiime apart from save me was it broke my jaw!lol
    About ten yeas later the very same helemt saved my brothers life. Still have the helmet, but it fianlly cracked the second time round!

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

once went against a steel door at about 40km/h after hitting a tree with my right hand bar and flying some meters and after that bouncing of the floor scraping one knee and elbow and almost knocking my self out.

the bike was one of those steel 3 speed harley type bikes. hurt like hell for some days and the scrapes on my knee and elbow took a while to heal because they were bloody deep.

i advise you to go to the doctor to do an x-ray on that hand and check that windpipe.

16. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Fortunately i've always seemed to come off when the surface is not only slippery enough to lose the front end of the bike but also provide enough slide to avoid any nasty road rash. Either that or i lose most of my impact travelling over a bonnet. Did take a chunk out of my arm on a windscreen wiper though.

Glad your ok. Sounds and looks like a nasty crash

17. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Thank god you had the bar ends on, or your next halloween costume could be a very realistic Frankenstein!

[Memo to self, refit right hand bar end before riding to work tomorrow!]

18. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

lol, thanks for the comments people.

I should have gone to the hospital tbh, but instead me and my mate went to mine (only half a mile away) and I got my mate to fit my new chain then was off again. Just thought sod it, need to ignore the pain somehow so may as well go watch my mates ride.

I think my helmet might have actually saved my throat tbh (as well as my head), looking at where the clip is I think the bars bounced off it then hit my throut. Im just glad I ignore people when they make a point about asking why I where a helmet, I'd rather look like a spanner in a helmet than be in a 6ft deep hole without a pulse.

Feeling a lot better now (found loads of new bruises too), went out last night with my gf and we got a bit too drunk :p

19. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

The worst accident i had on a bike was riding to school. Used to be able to get a fair amount of speed up coming down the hill and i was rather late. Problem was some idiot in an audi pulled out infront of me, i swerved to avoid the bonnet and ended up riding the curb and hitting one of those green metal electricity boxes full on. needless to say i went straight over the handlebars, taking a fairly hard handlebar to the thigh and landing on my head the other side of the box. I was apparently out cold for a little while, but thank god i was wearing a helmet, if it didnt save my life, it sure as hell saved me a serious injury. As you say FIBRE+ who cares if you look like a spanner, at least your an alive one!

20. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Yup came off my bike over the handlebars yesterday. I'm so glad Bindi talked me into buying a helmet the week before. Although I wasn't carrying any real speed. Have a small cut on my hand and a bruise on my knee but that's it.