Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Pfaffen, 19 Jan 2010.
Excellent work! Keep it up.
I got the aluminum tube yesterday. Should put it in this week-end. Great idea!
I dont usually look at the Project Posts, but the Cray-1 title peaked my intrest. I worked with a Cray Computer in the mid 90's at the Met Office in the UK. I'm very impressed with your workmanship and attention to detail. I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.
All the best
Thank you very much. I hope I do it justice. Trying hard to pay homage to such an extrodinary supercomputer.
Well all the switches, resistors and LEDs arrived yesterday!
Here is the catch.
I won't be using all the switches, just 2 per side of the case.
Here are the Bulgin switches.
I ordered 50 100-ohm resistors.
Here are the LEDs:
Six 5000 mcd White LEDS
Seven 18000 mcd White LEDS
Not sure which ones to use yet. Don't want to over power the case. But I can put filters on them if they are too bright.
Here is one of the 18000 mcd LEDS in its housing.
Put power and reset buttons on the side panels. Here is a shot of one side.
Now for the electrical work.
Here are the test connections for the three LEDS
Here they are lit.
Series 1 ...
Series 2 ...
These things are bright!
Here they are installed.
Here is a grainy picture of them on... I'll need my other camera to take pics in the dark.
Imo, the light looks a bit too concentrated. Is there any way for you to diffuse the light a bit (a very little bit)?
PS: Is that your normal PSU or a project PSU? I have a cheap 400W PSU that I use for testing/building circuits,etc and they are quite handy.
Great work mate, looking forward to seeing the finished work.
I haven't adjusted the lights yet. Right now they are just dry fit in place. I'll end up adjusting them this week.
Yes, that is my test PSU.
DUDE! That is INCREDIBLE!! This is one of the most intricate scratch build designs I've seen yet.
As a thought, If your required to do a senior project for school...There you go! A++ for sure!
If not you should be given an A+ in math for just accomplishing that design
And no glue You sir are a true Mod God!
Here are some better pictures of the case lit up.
I worked on the drive mounts today. not much to show.
Anyway, did not spend much time in the shop today.
Here is a picture of the seat covers.
I started with 1250 staples. This is all that is left.
Here is a shot of the seat base. The angle is 11.25' on each side.
MOAR!!! BECAUSE MOAR!!!
I have a question. Blu-ray or DVD player for now?
Ok, hate to answer my own question, but I went with the 24x DVD for now.
Well, got a few things done today. I fashioned some hinges aluminum and pop rivets. Nothing fancy but they work.
They are for the supports of the DVD trays. Pics show the old test devices.
Here is a shot of one of the hinges.
Here is a front shot of the case. I really like using the velcro for the panels, they are easy to take off and put on.
Made the supports for the drives today.
Things are getting cramped in there...
Will need some cable management soon.
I got a 24pin 12" extender today for the PSU, that gave me alot more leeway for the case. Also a pair of 120mm fans and filters.
The seat and led lighting looks really good.
Glad to seeing it coming together so quickly
Looking good so far
Keep it up
Thank you! Me too...
Separate names with a comma.