1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress CRAY-7 | UPDATE: Let's get liquid! (19.10.2010)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by maRiio, 22 Aug 2010.

1. maRiio

maRiio New Member

[​IMG]

Hi to everyone :)
    My name’s Mario. At this time I’m a 21 years old Austrian who began case modding about five years ago. Imho my biggested success was my first case I did. A Half-Life² themed PC based on a Chieftec CS06 which should have been shown in San Jose, California on an event but because of school/work I had absolutely no time to travel there…

After the long delay of nearly 2 years I needed a new PC to work with. The main reason is I need one for my job since my notebook is veeeeery old and I have no clue how long this thing stays alive anymore.

Ok, talked enough. Let’s start with something new.
    I didn’t do a render or drawing what it will look like if it’s done. It’s all in my head.

So. Let’s start with the log.
    Hardware specifications as following…

CPU: Intel i7 920 OC’ed
    Mainboard: evga X58 SLI LE
    GPU: nVidia GeForce 8800GTX in SLI (more on that later)
    RAM: 6 x 2GB Corsair Dominator XMS3
    HDD: will be chosen later
    Power Supply: Silverstone ST-70F

The whole system will be watercooled except the RAM – running in dual loop.
    Here’s my personal standing ovation to my neighbor Eddy. He’s sales manager of EKWB. He spent much of time to answer hundreds of my mails and sent me the watercooling parts I needed.
    Can’t thank you enough Eddy :thumb:

Let’s get it started

I didn’t take many pics at the beginning like everyone should know how a Out-of-the-Box-Silverstone-TJ07 looks like.
    When all the stuff I needed arrived I started using my Sony.
    A big thank you to my friends Emanuel and Rene, who did the laser cutting and power coating :)

Here is the back plate, temporarily mounted on the case.
    [​IMG]

Already riveted and mounted on the motherboard tray. It looks I haven’t done anything wrong when measuring the original backplate and drawing in CAD, phew…
    (System got flipped up-side down. BTX’s looking better)
    [​IMG]

Mountings for radiators.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because the trays of the new revision all having this big **** hole here, I had to do a front- and backplate for it.
    Why backplate you may ask… Well, the case will have the normal side doors replaced with smoked acrylic. So all the cables would be visible. But more infos regarding this topic later.

Do someone need side doors? ;)

Pimpin’ the pumps

First of all the molex connectors had to be removed. After sleeving the cables a jack plug was plugged(? – sorry, I’m Austrian :) ) on the pump/cable output to get a nice finish. EK-Top was mounted too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pumps finished ;)
    [​IMG]

Graphics OVERKILL, muahahaha!

Hmmm ok, in fact… those are two 8800GTX. Not the best anymore, but for me it isn’t very important to have two of those 400$ cards. I’m not the one spending thousands of dollars to get a fast system to rip a DVD, play Crysis and do a few benchmarking tests at the same time. So this is enough for my needs :)
    Like said I like the look of SLI… but why do I justify myself here… hmm… dunno. Let’s continue…

Look at those beauties… nice coolers…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

… if you change them ;)
    [imghttp://www.abload.de/img/dsc04514eev7.jpg][/img]

[​IMG]

Like said. Nice coolers :) They will be painted black matte later.

What’s better than a full watercooled SLI-system? I don’t know… okay… a Triple- or Quad-SLI system. BUT… I don’t need it, ‘cause I’m not gonna play Crys… oO(Mario, stop justifying yourself… NOW!).

Under the surface…

Next I did a little test fitting of all the things I want to get into the lower section.

First of all I had to drill and thread some holes for the radiators mounting plates.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I installed the mountings for the radiators and the backplate for the power supply.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cable management at its best.
    [​IMG]

Radiator/Fans mounted…
    [​IMG]

Motherbard-Tray and backplate installed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is covering the area around the On/Off switch and status LEDs.
    I don’t need the board anymore so the cables got cut off, got sleeved and “jack-plugged”.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hole in the front needed a little bit of drilling to fit the switch – so the step drill bit was my friend at this time.
    [​IMG]

Finishing the lower section...

After sleeving all fans and jack-pluggin’ them the lower section was nearly finished.
    The cables from the status-LEDs has to be done also… at this time, soldering and covering the cables isn’t funny anymore.

Just for info: the main task of building CRAY-7 is to sleeve all of the cables to look like the ones in the pics underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  2. Dragonith

Dragonith New Member

Looks good, keep it interesting!

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Nice work, this looks interesting.

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Seeing the quad rad was enough for me

is that a splitter i see at the bottom? curious to see what you do with that i saw one on aquatuning there really cheap

Edit: Actually now looking at it what is that? pretty sure its not what i thought it was

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Are these mini jacks? Very curious to see what you up to! :)

6. maRiio

maRiio New Member

I'm sorry to tell you there's no splitter in there.
    I either can't see anything that looks like a splitter... :)

Yes, jack plugs :)
    Somehow I wanted something different at all. So I came up with this idea.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2010
  7. maRiio

maRiio New Member

Sorry for double-posting...

Now there was time to mess up with the side-doors.
    Like said the original doors will be replaced by full-acrylic ones.
    A long time ago my dad got a laser measurement device. A bit overkill for those few lengths I've got to measure but... who cares? ;)

Here a photo to imagine how small this thing is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please do NOT use the measurements for own calculations, they're wrong :D just for info...
    After finishing I began to draw the new side doors in AutoCAD.
    Main task was to get some classy/elegant vents for air-flow in the lower section.
    I will upload some pics tomorrow 'cause I got no camera here.

Only thing is I'm thinking about a way to mount the doors at the backside of the case. But that is another story...

So stay tuned :)

8. maRiio

maRiio New Member

Update: Let’s plug the jacks!

Update! But only a little one :/

Here is first half of the jackplugs I will need to get voltage in every corner of the case.
    [​IMG]

When looking at my EK reservoir I came up with the idea to give it a new housing.
    So I took a stainless tube which fits the right size to cover the EK and welded a bottom plate onto it.
    Holes were drilled to pass through the in- and out-let for watercooling. To give it a nice effect I added some holes for LEDs and jack plugs to it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two more holes were added and taped to give it a hold on the behind tray.
    I’m not that satisfied with the finish after lathing it, so I will have to do it one more time.

The midplate had to be modified also. I drilled some holes to lead the current in the jackplugs of the fans and pumps in the lower sections to the upper section of the case.
    [​IMG]

In fact I don’t have/want any connection-ports for watercooling to get a clean surface I took a piece of arylic lying around and cut it to the right size to fit.
    I didn’t take any pictures while cutting and taping the holes with G1/4 threads.
    Had to do some more pieces to fit in the front of the midplate to get a straight surface when putting the aluminum sheet on it.
    So a bit of drilling, tapping and filling was needed to get those to a nice fit.
    Some filling was needed also to pass all the cables through. On the upper side the cables will be hidden in a little housing before getting behind the motherboard. You can see it on this pic.
    [​IMG]

Fittings for water cooling were added…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The holes I drilled before got in contact with wired female connectors for the fans, LEDs and the switch in the front box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that all the water-cooling stuff has been connected to each other.
    A “Big-Update” will follow on Wednesday in fact I had no time to shoot some photos.

Leave you here with a cup of coffee and a little spoiler ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. maRiio

maRiio New Member

UPDATE: HDD and SSD

A little update for today ;)
    Since the begin I was thinking about where to place my SSD and HDD to fit in the case. I tried different posistions ( :p ) until I got an idea after doing some sketches...

Both will be mounted on the backside of the motherboard-tray.
    I thought how to fit them into the design of the case... and finally came to a result.

I took a piece of Makrolon (stronger acrylic) which got in touch with my router...
    [​IMG]

Makita Cheesecake :coolblue:
    [​IMG]

After a few minutes with the router I got a nice finish on the edges of the acrylic. Sorry I got no better pic of that.
    [​IMG]

The block has been cut into 12mm thick pieces I will need to cover the SSD and HDD.
    [​IMG]

Some aluminum-profiles has been done too.
    [​IMG]

May some of you can imagine what I'm going to do. You will see that tomorrow ;)

10. maRiio

maRiio New Member

CRAY-7 | UPDATE: Junction Box and Reservoir (10.10.2010)

Update-time!
    Sorry guys for the long delay. Had not that much of time to continue with my mod. Yesterday and today I did my new reservoirs and the first of the three junction boxes.

The first reservoir was not my style I thought. So I took a high-quality stainless tube used in pharma (OD 60mm) and cut two tubes for the two reservoirs.
    First of all the in- and outlets have been made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the threads were cut the leathed top and bottom was stuffed on the tube. On the pics you see the first of the reservoirs 'cause the second one isn't in the state to be photographed yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please do not pay attention to the spine on the holes, it's away already. Ok... now you do I think :D

I got a nice package arriving on Friday with some plastic boxes. Those will funge as junction boxes which are connecting the jack plugs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First a few holes have been drilled into the bottom of the boxes to get the M4-screws through there.

[​IMG]

Between the boxes there will be a acrylic layer illuminated by flex-LED-stripes from the inside. The hole thing looks like a sandwich as you can see on the shots below.
    Here's the first raw acrylic which has to filled...

[​IMG]

Mhmmmm. Sandwich... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later there should be a look of "flying" boxes in the case. So I have to get a mounting which holds the boxes up in air. So I came up with the idea to hose a stainless-tube (OD 4mm) through the black plastic tube I use to get a straight hold.

[​IMG]

After spray painting the first box looks like following :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Fabou

Fabou New Member

Nice mod I see a lot of idea here.

12. maRiio

maRiio New Member

CRAY-7 | UPDATE: It's ALIVE! (15.10.2010)

Finally...
    The first junction box is completly assembled and connected to the rest of the mod.
    THere's a little bit of mess around my workshop but I don't mind :D

There was a feeling of easement when turning on the power supply. Sadly I got one short but this was done quickly.

So here the first pics of the box illuminated. Not good pics sorry. Tomorrow I will upload better ones ;)

Enjoy and let me know whatcha think!

[​IMG]

I think I will be using 7V instead of 12V. It's a little bit too bright...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those two LEDs will be illuminated per programm running on the Matrix Orbital display.
    If the pumps are running the LEDs are one. If not, they're switched off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

This mod will be outstanding in the end my friend! Amazing work and skills!! Mod on! ;)

14. Kovoet

Kovoet New Member

Very very tidy and cannot wait to see the end result

15. maRiio

maRiio New Member

Hi guys :up: Update-time!
    First of all. Sorry for the bad pics. Gotta work until early evening so there's absolutely no time to get a nice light for shooting... only one f*$%§ 60W bulb...

Let's start with reservoir number two.
    The normal tasks follow...

Draw the points onto the stainless tube where the in/outlet and holders will stay at the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doing some sketching on the cases backplate...
    [​IMG]

When the second reservoir had to dry in case of the Loctite I used the first one has been mounted...
    [​IMG]

Next task was installing the midplate I did... I know it's very dusty and so I'm sorry I had no time to clean it :rolleyes: :cooldude:

[​IMG]

And after an hour of hardware and loop(s) install it's ready to be filled.
    This will be done on weekend :)
    Sorry again for the bad light... bulb... you know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued ;)

16. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

love it very nice reservoir.

wolfie

17. maRiio

maRiio New Member

Thanks Wolfi ;) nice greets from Austria btw.
    I see the ATX-cable on the shots. This and all other cables will be replaced with some black ones... just for info ;)

18. aplanting

aplanting New Member

excellent work maRiio, I really like the black cables and the jack plugs.
    could you explain how to solder/connect the jackplugs for 12v? I plan on using these plugs in an small project I do but they seem to cause shortage somewhere.

19. maRiio

maRiio New Member

Hi ;)
    I use some mono jack plugs so they've got two pins where you need to solder the cable onto.
    On the connectors where you put in the plugs there are also two pins.
    Nothing special to explain here :)

20. Teknokid

Teknokid Well-Known Member

Wow, this is absolutely stunning - the craftsmanship is sulbime!

subbed!