1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Create an icon that runs my default screensaver

Discussion in 'Software' started by bennifer, 20 Jan 2005.

1. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Heya,

Anyone know some code I can use to run my default screensaver from a desktop icon? I used to just create a shortcut to "3dtext.scr" or whatever, but I use a different saver on each monitor so that wont work now. I run WinXP and I use ultramon to do it, if that helps.

Cheers,
    Ben.

2. alcedes

alcedes What's a Dremel?

technically if you have a multimon system then with most screensavers will get the primary monitor by default and only work with other monitors if told to do so. So you may not be able to arbitraily run certain screensavers simultaniously (If I understood your original request correctly you want to run multiple screensavers)

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

If you search your PC for *.scr files and take not of thier location. You could just create a new shortcut on your desktop and direct it at the desired *.scr file.

I do this on my PC and it works just fine. I cant help you with the multi-screensaver thing.

4. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

scr files are just named exe files.... try renaming one and see!

However unless you know the command lines to activate them you would only probably get the set up dialog which tends to be the norm default operation.

Running them with the scr suffix tells the system its a screen saver and runs them under the windows screensaver through OS Api calls.

5. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Yeah, what I was looking at was a way of making that API call (is that right?) from an icon.

Anywho, I discovered an answer just now by accident - UltraMon has a setting that says if you double click its tray icon it runs your screensaver via its settings - So I get my perfect ultramon set screensavers, different on each monitor, when tapping that :)

thanks anyway guys! Ben.

Tags: