1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Creating a Desk

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BioniKraken, 22 Mar 2004.

1. BioniKraken

BioniKraken What's a Dremel?

Hello everybody, this is my first actual post but have been a lurker for over a year now. Anyway onto the topic, I am currently planning on building my own computer and study desk but was looking for some ideas and help. Been about 6 years, shop class, since last time actually did any wood working. I was wanting to see any pics of your desk, espically ones you made yourself. Secondly I was wondering what would be best to use for materials, should I go with some plywood and put a laminate over it or goo with a stronger wood and just stain it. Also how thick should I go with the materials?? I currently pretty much have it sketched out on paper just waiting to finalize it and see what it looks like on a CAD program. Some of the ideas I have are to incomporate a router, various controller ports (for emulators), and a USB hub into the desk. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

use MDO for the table-top surface. MDO is the wood they use as the surface of skate-ramps. its very smooth and easy to paint if you wish to do so.

3. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

i'v done a lot of stuff in this area. i would use use a combo of pine and plywood or oak venear plywood and solid oak.. invest in a very good router if you don't have one already. use the solid oak to cap the ends of the plywood. dato and rabbit everything.

pics of some stuff i'v done.

http://woodshop.hopto.org/pictures/thumbnails.php?d=Chest
    http://woodshop.hopto.org/pictures/thumbnails.php?d=Clock
    no thats not me in those pics..

edit: don't go with any of that MDF stuff eather.. it's more trouble then it's worth when it comes to furniture

4. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

I built a desk a couple years ago out of 1/2 inch MDF (it's what I had) and it was a good desk. I recommend using 3/8 though. The only bad thing about MDF is that it's very heavy and makes moving a desk difficult. (I know from experience.) Not a bad product on a small desk but if you plan on making it very big I would go with something like a light plywood like woodshop said. Good luck and post pics when you're done. :thumb:

5. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

6. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

7. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

why not go the whole hog and make it out of something like mohogany oak or something like that and give it a super touch of class like make a built in mouse pad and writing surface out of something like red velvet or something fancy

just a thought "if your gonna do something you gotta do it right (and make it look shwick"

8. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

i like to spray when i have the chance. if i do i cut some high gloss poly cut 3 parts laquar thinner to 1 part poly.. if i got to brush then 2 to 1.. yes i made both.. and no they were not sprayed.. and the clock is 7 feet tall. :D

sry to kidnap your thread there..

i just don't like MDF. it strips easly (as in like when you screw into it). makes a very bad dust when cut or sanded i have to use a mask. and in my opinion if it can't be stained and polyed. then it ain't real

9. BioniKraken

Sorry I have responed in a while, been pretty busy lately. Just wanted to say thanks for all the ideas and some of the how-to's. I plan on staining it, really like the look of it. Just some quick thoughts, I do plan on having a built in keyboard and mouse tray (big enough for both), a nice big area for doing homework and lab work, from my electronics labs, not to great at always making class :worried:, plus being somewhat modular because Im still in college and will be moving at least once more before I find a place to stay.

And woodshop that is some nice stuff you have made :thumb:.

10. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Here's the kitchen table I just completed. It has a lit layer of plexi sandwiched between two layers of wood, and a Blue Pearl stone in the middle.
    [​IMG]

More pics from the building process at http://home.no.net/thebard/pictures/table/

11. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

Oooh very nice.
    Reminds me of that Star treck apartment that was for sale on e-bay

p.s. if you want a real nice desk.... jarrah all the way
    :thumb:

12. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

13. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

I think we can say that this thread has been hijacked, thanks to bard :naughty:

14. bard

I used 3mm 4000MCD LEDs for lighting. The plexi is 6mm thick, which is about 1/4 inch.
    Oh, and sorry for hijacking. I didn't mean to :eek:

15. BioniKraken

Oh thats ok and I must say that is awesome. That actually just gave me an idea to use for a lighted keyboard tray. I was wondering how do you place the LEDs and also how did you go about attaching them to the system.

16. bard

The LEDs are just placed inside the table to that they shine through the plexi to the edge. They're just connected with an old cell-phone charger (through resisors of c).