1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating partitions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SheepNutz, 7 Jul 2002.

1. SheepNutz

SheepNutz What's a Dremel?

I just got a new Western Digital 100GB HDD, and I want to have about 20 gigs for windows and progs, and the other 80 for media. What is the best way for me to create another partition? I checked into partition magic, but they only support up to 80GB HDD's. I don't have the Western Digital software utilities that let you create partitions, cause I bought a bulk drive, so it didn't come with any software. I tried to download the Western Digital software from their website, but it says that you can only create the boot disk for the software using win9x or ME, and I have XP. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

2. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

You can build the partitons in Windows XP. Boot from the CD and just run a regular install. Once XP has detected the drive, it will ask you if you want to format the entire drive as 1 partition.

Enter "Define your own Partiton (something to that effect) and set the size to 20000 Kb for C:\. Xp will then format the 20Gb partition. When it is done, you can then specify to create another partion size of 80000 Kb for XP to format, it will automatically be assigned D:\. Once that is all done, continue installing XP on the C:\ partition.

Have fun, it's pretty simple :)

3. SheepNutz

SheepNutz What's a Dremel?

Well, I don't wanna have to format it. I already got all my stuff put on my new HDD by using Norton Ghost clone. I think I'm gonna find someone's win9x or ME machine to make a bootdisk for the Western Digital software.

4. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Try a program called partition magic. As long as you read wot its sayin on the screen you should be fine :dude: (otherwise u'll end up creatin a linux partition or somethin lol)

5. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

i second partition magic as well. You can get a "shareware" version from mr kazaa :worried:

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

chuck it into a win98 machine and use fdisk....

chuck it into a 2k or xp machine and use drive management.....

either way you get a formatted hdd, to just the sizes you want it....:D

7. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

if you use PM you won't loose the data :)

8. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

PQmagic dont support 100gig drives:sigh:

can also be seen here:
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagicpro/

but anyway, if you have the data ghosted anywway use fdsik or disk managment and then ghost it across again...:idea: