1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 May 2007.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Theres no reason why you wouldn't be able to do that, provided its from an analogue source

2. Monkey2

Monkey2 New Member

I currently have a 5.1 setup (logitech X-530) for gaming and music listening, but i notice that the sound isn't the best when cranked up, particularly from the subwoofer which is so annoying i have it turned down to its minimum volume. Also the cabling is a pain, particularly for the 2 rear speakers which i have to put under a rug as the wiring isn't long enough and is non-replaceable.

Would I be really missing out with not having the centre and bass speakers? Or would it make more sense just getting a better 5.1 system?

3. completemadness

completemadness New Member

if you like 5.1 - stay 5.1

but if not, then the creative 2.0 speakers are gonna be a good choice i don't think you would miss not having a center speaker, and the surround is a nice feature (especially in games) but its not the be all and end all

edit:
    and a good 2.0 system is still miles better then a crappy 5.1 system, more speakers doesn't make up for crap speakers

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Usually when the speakers are hooked up to a PC the center speaker is useless as the front speakers are so close to each other. And also I'd say that if you don't care a **** about room acoustics and place the speakers "where they fit" it isn't worth it to ever even consider getting a surround set. The way the speakers are located makes all the difference even when not talking about hi-fi.

In the end choosing between surround/2.0/2.1 is all about opinions and if you watch movies/play or listen to music more. If you love music then 2.0 is an excellent choise. I'm just wondering if moving to these Gigaworks is so huge improvement after the X-530 set... You might want to try and listen to them in a store or somewhere before buying.

And about the subwoofer/bass. If the speakers are designed to be 2.0 then there SHOULD be enought bass in the speakers themselves not to miss the sub.

IMO the best choise for you would be to keep the X-530 set and buy headphones.. Then when you watch movies or play you could use the 5.1 speakers, but when listening to music or just wanting better sound quality you could switch to headphones.

Personally I have a decent 5.1 system with discrete parts, but I still listen my music 2.1.

5. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering New Member

Elitist much? You clearly haven't looked into it too hard if you think the X-fi isn't any good. Creative may have made some rubbish cards in the past, but they have also made some very good ones, such as the AWE64 Gold back in the days, and the X-fi Elite Pro now. The X-fi uses the same DACs as are in the E-mu 1820m, and it has got some rave reviews from hi-fi and pro audio sites. Sure it isn't up there with the £1000+ pro level cards, but then it's not aimed at the same market as they are.

The X-Fi Elite Pro in my HTPC replaced a Marantz CD transport and a £500 Monarchy Audio DAC (too much gear in the lounge according to the missus), and the X-fi certainly matches the far more expensive hi-fi equipment it replaced in my opinion. Both are playing through a 650W Nikko amp from the 70s, mid-range Van Den Hul interconnects, and a pair of Ruark Crusader floorstanding speakers. So maybe not uber-high-end, but not cheap rubbish either.

But I will agree with you that the effects are superfluous and best avoided. Just don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The Xfi is a good card.

6. loratio

loratio New Member

Sounds interesting. Do you have som links for those?

Cheers

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You don't need no more reviews! :p

8. rupbert

rupbert New Member

I know!, does he not realise that Bit-Tech is the final word in reviews :)

9. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson New Member

Just got a pair of these today to complete my rig.
    Super impressed, lovely warm sound, highly recommended.

10. sniperdude

sniperdude Active Member

thats nice but this thread is 5 years old LOL

11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Holy thread revival Batman.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

They are great though :)

YEHBABY likes this.
  13. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Well-Known Member

Yeah T20s are pretty awesome.

14. ShinyAli

ShinyAli New Member

Yes they are and I was surprised to see that they have not dropped that much in price considering the newer models that have been released since then, I upgraded to the GigaWorks T40 Series II which cost about £75, good sound for gaming with plenty of bass definitely worth a look if anyone is looking for speakers that don't take up too much room and doesn't want a sub.

[​IMG]

15. sniperdude

sniperdude Active Member

I have the GigaWorks T40 s2 for my media center pc and have I to agree....They are really nice speakers.

16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

Got some recently too! £35 off amazon :D

Tags: Add Tags