1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Creative Gigaworks T40

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elz, 19 Nov 2007.

1. Elz

Elz miaow

Great review for these on TR: http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2007/11/19/Creative-Gigaworks-T40-2-0-Speakers/p1

But oh, how they tease me. Supposedly the older T20s produce a superior sound close up, though the overall sound of the T40s is an improvement over the older model. Now I do spend most of the time listening at my desk, but not all of it. And I would hate to think I was missing out on an otherwise improved sound when I am elsewhere in the room. How am I supposed to make this decision? It's a shame there's always a comprimise.

Does anyone have any experience with these, particularly in using the T40s when sitting close up (and how close is too close anyway)?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Andy spent a LOT of time in the office listening to stuff last week between the T20s and T40s :p

If you want room filling *loud* then go for the T40s, otherwise just grab the T20s

3. Elz

Elz miaow

Well there it is, I shall go for the T20s (they're cheaper anyways). Thanks for the advice!

I've been listening with the same audio equipment for years now. A very old Creative/Cambridge SoundWorks 4.1 setup for my PC, and Koss KSC-75s for portable. Aside from the fact that technology - and my bank balance! - have progressed since like 8 years ago, I've been switching between the two so rapidly recently that they're actually highlighting eachother's weaknesses.

Time for some new equipment. First the T20s, then some Shure or Sennheiser portables. Although I'm going to need a new MP3 player before those :)

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I ordered a set of 'em on the 18th, and they're on the way :rock:

I bought one of my [two] sons T20's for use with his laptop, and they sound darned impressive... so I had very high hopes for the T40's... even before reading Andy's review :idea:
    I have even greater expectations, now I've read it :clap:

5. Elz

Elz miaow

Right well these arived today, I've listened to a range of stuff, and I'd just like to say this...

KICK ARSE! :D

Without a doubt my best purchase in quite a while. That is until tomorrow, when my new camera arrives. I've been splurging a lot recently :D

6. Elz

Elz miaow

Nuts.

I didn't notice it until i'd actually stopped listening to music, but the left speaker emits this high pitch whine noise. I got a replacement from Amazon and the new set do exactly the same thing. Looking on the Creative forum it seems i'm not the only one with this problem (probably a bad batch or something).

So now I have no idea what to go for. Z-10s? T40s? Somebody please help me :(

7. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

8. Hazardous

You won't be disappointed with either (I've bought both!), so just go on which set you like the look of more... or read various reviews of each, then base your decision on those?

9. Elz

Elz miaow

you bought both? nice :)

Ya see, reading reviews is all very well (and i've read loads), but it's hard to guage which is better than the other unless the review is directly comparing the two. But if you say you bought both, then that's quite useful :)

I think I'll probably go with the z-10s, although i'm not so keen on the touch sensitive controls I read you can output the audio through usb which, given the amount of interference i get through my laptop 3.5mm jack, and the not particularly great sound card, would be a very useful thing indeed.

10. Hazardous

I have laptop owning sons, who are reluctant to spend their moolah on anything other than Xbox 360 games and booze :hehe:
    So I tend to treat them occasionally (birthdays usually), and a good 2.0 speaker set for each was one of their presents ;)
    I've subsequently heard Creative T20's +T40's, Logitech Z-10's, and Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0's :cooldude:

It's difficult for me to say which set is the "best" out of all those though, because I've never actually compared them head-to-head.
    And it's hard to compare/gauge which are the "better" speakers in reality, because the various environments they're used in (room size/shape/distance from the listener etc), and what they're used for (gaming/listening to music/watching DVD's etc)... can make a big difference to how they sound :idea:

And of course, which of them sounds "the best", is ultimately only a matter of personal opinion anyway.
    Suffice it to say, therefore... that they all sound good to me... hence why I wouldn't specifically recommend one set over the other, but settled for saying: "you won't be disappointed with either" (T40's/Z10's) :thumb: