1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Creative lambasts Apple iPod Shuffle

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 13 Jan 2005.

1. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

Are you seriously defending MS?! :eeek: MS mass markets operating systems that are known to be "broken" with free fixes promissed later on and this is the model of good? Can you say Windows 98 or ME? I don't remember Apple dumping a half working iPod on the market with a promise of a service pack.

By the way, was the monitor out of warranty? If yes then whats the problem? It's broke and out of warranty, pay for it to be fixed. Same as any other company.

Someone please explain why it is so upsetting that Apple has a excelent marketing department? :sigh: I am quite confused why so many people are irate that Apple can take an average (or above average) product and turn it into a best seller.

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

im just saying that saying "MS customer service sucks because they wont 'give you a new key'" is retarded
    Apple may not have dumped a half working ipod on the market but they have made some incredible **** ups
    like the update to OSX that actually broke the battery/power system in certain ibooks (think it was the ibooks), needless to say they pulled that patch sharpish
    i think it was out of warranty, the point is they were asking for something like 70% of the cost of a completely new screen to replace a backlight, that takes the piss. If you get a dell 21" tft and it has a dead pixel they'll replace it straight away, for free.

3. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

:duh:

Well, I think that's my cue to leave this debate. gl hf :thumb:

4. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

:D
    It's not like they invented the Personal Computer or anything......
    (And yes, I know, before the apple you could buy a little box that had some lights on it and make it do things - with no keyboard or monitor, but that's not really very personal is it....)

5. Satyric_saint

Satyric_saint What's a Dremel?

I hate to tell you but both bill gates and steve jobs got their point and click interface from Xerox so I will stand behind my previous statement.

Apple is rarely ever the first to invent anything! :blah:

A) I never had a problem with win98 as a matter of fact its still one of the most stable windows platforms out the it even beats win2000 in my opinion
    B)its upsetting because apple puts all thier emphasis on lies (where where the first to do this, are product is the most inovative,BLAH!) and not to mention the stuff you get is overpriced because it has an apple logo on it and its not an "average" product its usually below average. :eyebrow:

Last edited: 14 Jan 2005
  6. DreamTheEndless

A little history on Apple: (Quoting from Apple History Timeline)

• March: Woz finishes work on the Apple I. He first asks his employer, Hewlett Packard, if they are interested in an $800 machine that runs BASIC. All the departments in HP turns down his offer.
    • April 1: Apple Computer Company is founded by Steve Wozniak, Steve Jobs, and Ron Wayne
    • May: $666.66 Apple I introduced at the Home Brew Computer Club meeting. Paul Terell, president of Byte Shop chain, makes 50 orders.
    • January 3: Apple Computer, Inc. is officially created after the company is incorporated. Mike Markkula invests $92,000 in Apple, with intent to invest $250,000.
    • April: The Apple II is publicly introduced for $1295.
    • November: Jobs takes his first visit to PARC in exchange for allowing Xerox to invest $1 million in Apple.
      (Note from Dream: - Steve didn't steal the GUI, he bought it.)
    • Summer: Jobs hires 15 Xerox employees to work on the Lisa Project.
    • August 12: IBM introduces the IBM PC for $1565. With 16k RAM, a 5.25" floppy drive, running the first version of MS-DOS, it is a rather pitiful computer that rarely reached the efficiency of the Apple II released 4 years earlier. Nevertheless, it becomes an instant success.
    • Bill Gates first announces Windows, and how the GUI will revolutionize the PC. Microsoft will not release it for 4 more years.
    • Microsoft announces and released Word, Multiplan, File, Chart, BASIC, and other programs. (For the Macintosh)
    • November 22: Sculley signs agreement to let Bill Gates use Mac technology in Windows, if Microsoft continues to produce products for the Mac.
    • Microsoft releases Excel for Macintosh.
    • August 11: Microsoft releases the first version of its GUI OS, Windows 1.01. It's arcane user interface is almost unsuable, a large disapointment.

I said PC - I didn't say GUI. But, since you brought up GUI, Steve bought it from Xerox in exchange for letting them buy shares, and Bill stole it from Apple when Apple hired Microsoft to create a word processing program called MS Word and MS programmers were working closely with Mac programmers. (Yes boys and girls - MS Word was created for the Mac and later ported over to the MS operating system.)

And yes, I know, before the Apple, you could buy an Alto for $40,000, but Apple invented their own <$700 computer 5 years before IBM made one out of off the shelf parts.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2005
  7. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

i wanted mine because i was sick of my minidisc player. it was very inconvienient to load with music, you had to convert to atrac from mp3 which takes ages, and (my minidisc player at least) didnt recognize id3 tags. plus, there was the constant buying more batteries, swapping of minidiscs and the general bulkiness of bringing it to school with me.

my iPod is very easy to use, its very easy to carry with it being so slim and light (having no protruding buttons helps), the placement of the headphone jack at the top is a great improvement over the bottom mounted one of my minidisc, and the click wheel i can control thru the denim of my jeans, meaning to hit pause or advance track i dont need to take it out in class (not something i want to do. people steal everything at my highschool.)

yes, theyre popular. either we are 'mindless shells" as someone said, or maybe we recognize a quality product that has been easy to use since its first inception. this is worlds easier to load music to, manage the music on my computer, and use in general than anything ive used. there are times i want to fiddle with something to make it work, making it fun. but there are times, like in class, when i want something to just work, and work well. thats why i chose my iPod.

8. Satyric_saint

• you just Proved what I said, noting apple made was their own idea buying something doesnt mean you invented it it means you legally took someone elses idea. :duh: They didn't invent anything they just stuck it in a new case with their logo on it and marketed it to home users much like they do now. :rolleyes:

9. Satyric_saint

A) Your still in high school so you fall under the classification of using an ipod as a status symbol and nothing you say can convince me other wise.
    B) When I was still going to high school if any teacher even suspected a CD player or Mp3 player in our backpack or pocket it got confiscated till the end of the year because we where not allowed to have them at school. :eyebrow:

10. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Jeez! :worried:

I think you guys should chill out a bit, you're starting to sound a little like the Southpark episode Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes :hehe:

11. DreamTheEndless

Originally posted by ME

I said PC - I didn't say GUI.
    But, since you brought up GUI, Steve bought it from Xerox in exchange for letting them buy shares, ......

And yes, I know, before the Apple, you could buy an Alto for $40,000, but Apple invented their own <$700 computer 5 years before IBM made one out of off the shelf parts.

12. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

couldn't you have just turned the MD upside down?

13. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

chill out a bit guys, why is everyone so frustrated that there are a lot of people who like Apple products? if you don't like them then don't buy them, and let everyone else decide for his/her own.

I personally like the Apple brand a lot, and if I would have a lot of money to spend sometime, I'd definetely buy some of their toys =)
    the design of most Apple products is so classy that just that is a reason for me to go for it. if I wanted an hdd MP3 player, I'd go for an iPod rather than for an iriver or creative, just for the looks. there's more to a product than technical data, at least for me. I'd rather have a very elegant looking mp3 player with good sound quality than an ugly one with superior sound quality. why? simply because I'm not such a huge music fan that can tell the difference :hehe:

point is, Apple products appeal to the general crowd, and Apple is clearly aiming for that market. so they're doing a good job, what else is there to say? ;)

14. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Dream, Saint - Let's stop the verbal hair pulling.

Saint: You obviously have a problem with Apple. We all know that now, so if you haven't got anything constructive to add to this discussion please refrain from posting in it.

Dream: Stop feeding the troll.

Don't make me take further action. :blah:

15. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Apple products are a fashion statement, its no bad thing no doubt some of the apple bashers will have a certain type of car that makes a statement or a branded headunit say Alpine for example, if an item is popular for the brandname in electronics it usually means its a quality product dj's use technics decks for example, people have their own preferred brand of graphics card its the same thing,
    now i dont own an apple product however i'd like to, I have used apple stuff belonging to friends osx included and on the whole once you get used to the way stuff works its simple to use ,does what it says on the box, looks good and is generally a quality product for your money
    more than be said for some other products out there

16. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Yes, anyone remember when Apple last said that their new dual G5 or something was "the worlds most powerful processor" and then I think someone went up to them (no, not literally :rolleyes: ) and said no it isn't and they changed the statement to something like "one of the most powerful processors in the world" ... OWNED :yawn: :rolleyes:

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, so Sunny-D gives you an eloquent, well-reasoned argument in favour of the Apple iPod and you dismiss it with an arrogant and frankly somewhat offensive response followed by an irrelevant remark. I think I know whose opinion I am more inclined to listen to. :rolleyes:

18. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Ok Children, Time Out ;)

Alright, I dont see why some of you people feel the need to lambast the iPod like creative is (Thats what this thread was originally about in case you forgot...)

The Ipod is good in the following ways:

-It is extremely easy to use (dont debate me on this, It took me literally five seconds of first handling it to figure out how to do it)
    -It is a high capacity MP3 player
    -It has a style that is very appealing to many people
    -It is a well designed product

The Ipod has only one shortcoming, and that is its price; they are really expensive. Most of you people are mocking it because it has become ubiquitous with the term MP3 player, much like Centrino with wireless laptops or Windows with Operating Systems. The reason this is is because the company came out with the right product at the right time marketed in the right way, and a lot of you seem to hate these companies because of it. many of you complain about how their ethics are low (well guess what? Many other companies do similar things-get over it) and that they are horrible because of it. This is just stupid. If you dont want it, dont get it! Its that simple; you dont need to make converts out of the masses by acting like an evangelist, pointing out the evils of their ways and that they must repent. If you want to convince someone something is better, you need to point out why, and let the person make the final choice. You get no where by screaming IPOD SUCKS, THIS IS BETTER; DO AS I DO! There really arent any solid arguments to make against the iPod aside from niggles like iTunes (which sounds like a pain in the ass). Stop complaining because a company has come up with a succesful product; sheesh, its like making fun of automobiles for thinking their ugly; if it appeals to someone and it gets them from point A to point B, whats the problem? Educating people about the good and the bad of a product is what our true objective should be.

The iPod Shuffle is actually a very competitively priced product. MP3 players with a 512 MB capacity are routinely sold for anything between $180 and $250 USD. The Ipod shuffle places far behind these as far as price goes, and they do look pretty neat. There are niches to be filled in all markets, and the Ipod shuffle looks like it will nicely fill one of them. There is no reason for people to be making fun of it.

[​IMG]

19. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Eh?

20. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I stand corrected as far as price goes; congratulations on that (newegg has that cheaper than Fry's does, as usual :lol: )

As far as sound quality goes though, that is yet to be determined. I think its time for an MP3 player roundup by SOMEONE; this debate needs to be settled.

Tags: Add Tags