1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Unleashes a Major Backlash

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Sparrowhawk, 31 Mar 2008.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've had an Audigy 2 for many years now, and it honestly didn't surprise how crappy Vista support was for their cards - the drivers for this card weren't updated for a long, long time, and the bug list is still as long as my arm.

I won't be buying another Creative sound card after this episode, although I lament the loss of the EAX features, because it really does make a difference in games (imho). I think that's all that Creative have been riding on in the enthusiast market for several years now.

2. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Code:
    "By enabling our technology and IP to run on sound cards for which it was not originally offered or [B]intended[/B], you are in effect, stealing our goods," writes O'Shaughnessy at Creative's forums.
    Never intended? Are you kiddin me? Creative tells the world that they never want to get there cards working in Vista? What kind of marketing is that. Onboard sound for me till i get my M-audio fast track pro :D

3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

4. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I'm willing to do without EAX and buy another brand sound card just to let Creative feel the effect of their choices. As a consumer, I am willing to vote with my wallet. This next sound card purchase (which should be relatively soon) will be another brand, especially since I am getting Vista Ultimate 64 bit. (Hurrah for the MS Consumer Feedback Panel rewards!)

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I bet the competition are jumping for joy over this one. Creative held the crown for a while, but when you are the king turd of **** island. It doesn't count for very much.

6. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Godwin's law

Slightly off topic, but the original thread on creative forums has just been related to Nazis. Godwin's Law in action!

Linkage

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Definately buying another brand of soundcard next time (hopefully shortly).

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I've just bought a 2nd hand Audigy 2 ZS. Well done for those news sites offereing torrents of Daniel_K's vista drivers. Will try them out when it arrives.

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

never intended to offer it nor did they try, yet he is stealing it from them... that would be like if the neighbours car gets stolen I could get money from the insurance:wallbash:

I trashed my Audigy 4 when I went Vista, I mean how stupid is Creative? even my super cheap rubbish printer had working vista drivers within a short time of Vistas release. Onboard Sound Cheesecake

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i have had a very strict embargo on creative stuff for some time, i think its time to make it permanent.

11. quack

quack Minimodder

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Oh look, it's Mr. O'Shaugnessy again! I wonder what backlash will happen next week from such an amazing PR man

13. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

A response...

We have read the strong feedback about Creative's forum post regarding driver development by Daniel_k and other outside parties. Creative's message posted on our behalf by our Company spokesperson tried to address our concern about the improper distribution of certain software which is the property of other companies. However, we did not make it as clear as we would have liked that we do support driver development by independent third parties. The huge task of developing driver updates to accommodate the many changes in the Vista operating system and the extensive testing required, including the lengthy Vista certification requirements for audio, makes it very difficult for Creative to develop updates for all past products. Outside developers have been very helpful to Creative and our customers by developing updates for many of our Sound Blaster products, and we do support and appreciate these efforts. This however does not extend to the unauthorized distribution of other companies' property. We hope to work out a mutually agreeable method for working with Daniel_k in supporting his efforts in driver development. Going forward, we are committed to doing a better job of working more closely with third parties to support their development for our products and our customers.

http://forums.creative.com/creative...hread.id=116332&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What a load of tripe.

Pan-galactic fail.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I think creative may have pulled some muscles from all that frantic back pedalling.

But, as has been said: laurels. Rested. Too. Long.

16. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

[​IMG]

I so love the ad on wired.

17. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

The inevitable response when the CEO found out his shares are worth less now because some dumbass mid level manager pissed off the internet.

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So, Vista's been out for over a year now, was available in beta form for 18 months before that, and Creative are still saying that they're having problems with developing drivers for the platform? They haven't managed to write drivers for a platform that's been available in one form or another for over two years?

Yet another reason for avoiding Creative.

19. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

If they're having that much of a problem with driver development, perhaps it's time for a clean slate of new and actually able developers... ;P

20. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Wow what an awful company, and what awful way to treat its customers :nono: