1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

credit card compromised

Discussion in 'General' started by finboz, 5 Jun 2007.

1. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

well it finally happened, someone has got a hold of my credit card details and tried to wire themselves cash. fortunately my bank is quite good at spotting fraud and stopped the card immediately, which is great but didnt help when i was in tesco today buying shopping :(
    how they did it i dont know as i shred all my statements and scan my computer for nasties quite regularly (but do buy over the internet often) has anyone else had this happen to them ?

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

3. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

no it wasnt that, they got £26 ($50) on the 15th may which showed up as ccbill.com blackoak and then tried to wire themselves cash today which resulted in my card being stopped. thankfully im not liable for any fraudulent transactions, but it still pisses me off as i dont know where they got my details.

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Call centres ? Shops where they might have swiped twice? Inside job at the credit card company ? Mail stolen before it got to you ?

You can speculate, but you are never going to know.

5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, My credit card got cancelled yesterday. Bank phoned up to tell me they had received information on some compromised cards ran me through my recent transactions to check for any fraud and then cancelled card and sending me a new one. Wouldn't tell me where it had been compromised though.

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

ccbill.com seem to be a gateway for websites to take online credit card payments.

Edit: just noticed they seem to be quite popular with a certain type of website :)

Last edited: 5 Jun 2007
  7. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

They are pretty anal with the data protection act. Sometimes justified, mostly not.

Just yesterday, got a phone call at home, asking for my dad. I asked them what about - since my dad was on the phone and wanted to tell him what it was about so he could decide whether to take it or not. The reply - I cant tell you because of the Data Protection Act ... Really wound me up.

They could just have told me it was about his credit card or something like that - but no, lets pull out the data protection act. ******* ****

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I must loose my card every other month. Most of the time its an honest person who finds it and just rings the number on the card and then cut the card up as instructed by the bank.
    Once though someone tried to guess my pin in an ATM and I got a call from Barclay's telling me they had cancelled the card because someone (they thought it was me being forgetfull - drunk - at first) had tried and failed to enter the pin too many times.

Close call I suppose. Its amazing Its only happened to me once :p

9. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

lol i knew that buy one booby get another free deal was too good to be true, i wont be using that site again :naughty: