1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Critical Hit: Activision's Bizarre Decision

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 30 Jan 2011.

1. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

2. mute1

mute1 New Member

EA is hardly wonderful. Sure, they came up with 'innovative' titles like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge but when they didn't sell like they had hoped, they whine and say they weren't being properly rewarded. Then they say there will be a Dead Space sequel but not on PC, then they release it for PC but say the DLC won't be available for it. Also, Extraction gets HD ports on the consoles but not on the PC. And these are hardly the worst things... Apparently they don't understand about building up a franchise and not p*ssing off the customers who would like to support their games.

EDIT: Somewhat off-topic but I've heard Dead Space was EA's replacement for System Shock 3, so we can all probably forget about that ever happening. Hopefully that's wrong.

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

They are NOT in the game business. They are in the business of making money. The games are just a means to an end. 'Tis called capitalism.

4. Plugs

Plugs Active Member

its a shame activision dont need to learn the lesson
    WoW gets them enough money to support whatever blizzard want to do, and more, whilst CoD pays for the rest
    and those two franchises are the two strongest in the entire industry in terms of yearly gain.

5. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. New Member

I think this move will benefit Bizarre Creations in the long run. Activision is a console first company that just wants to make whatever crap that will sale. This move now gives Bizarre Creations the freedom to make a AAA title on the PC. If Bizarre Creations is any good then they should have no problem bouncing back. They got the people, talent, equipment, industry connections, etc to make a great game. Just Do It!!

The PC gaming industry is the best thing going right now. Modders and Indie developers can make a great product, sell it on Steam or offer it in a Mod site, then end up with a big time studio.

6. DbD

DbD Member

The problem with Activision is they don't even try to hide the fact they are in it to fleece us gamers for as much money as possible. It's just so obvious they don't want to push the boundaries or try anything just go the shortest safest route to their next money grabbing attempt. This means any studio trying to produce something original that's not instantly hyper successful is doomed.

That said it's our fault for buying their rehashed games - i mean look at how much money COD makes? (personally still haven't bought COD since MW :) )

7. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Last COD I played was 2... and even that was a gift. I vote with my wallet.

8. Manu_Otaku

Manu_Otaku ManuOtaku

while i agree with you at some extent, i prefer a good brand new ip, that can evolve into something great in the following sequels, than COD 35 with the same thing happening again and again, i did like brutal legend a lot, more than last year COD, if we dont support new ips that are good, well dont be mad when we reach the point of no new ips,at least with some type of innovention, but thats my two cents.

Tags: Add Tags