1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Critical Hit: Payne Killers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 9 Apr 2011.

1. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Are games studios getting their developers from parallel dimensions now? First Call Of Juarez gets the Mario2 treatment (did a certain writer borrow my previous comment or do great minds think alike?) and now Max Payne looks like an iron-pumping ex-convict with a Metallica style haircut.

C'mon son.

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Not cool, not cool at all.

3. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

reserve judgement, The streets of Sao Paolo are much more hardcore and depressed than bright new york. if MP3 had been ANOTHER story of crying cop over dead family and lovers then everyone would blast it as unoriginal.

I for one wwelcome a change, we have to wait for screenshots and video to appear. New york city is not max payne. Film noir is max payne

4. -SambaL-

-SambaL- What's a Dremel?

What, Max Payne 3? No way, you're lying. I never heard of such a thing. I only know of Max Payne 1 & 2 and that is that.

5. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Condemning a game after just seeing a few screen shots seems pretty foolish, it's hardly a considered conclusion.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

You're completely missing the point. It could be a good game, it probably will be a good game but that doesn't matter because it's not Max Payne.

This is like releasing a new Mario game where you play as a drug addict in a slum looking for magic mushrooms. It could be the best game ever but don't call it Mario.

7. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

I would have thought this article was stating the obvious but from some people's comments here....

Besides NOT being a Max Payne game, I very much doubt this game will be any good. The story has undergone something like three or four major re-writes, which is why the release date has been pushed back so far. Even Rockstar must think it's crap.

8. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I can't believe people here are judging it before having even played it, seen a trailer, got an idea of the story line - anything. I too am concerned about the change of setting but I think it's fair to say the old one was all played out.
    We complain about the constant sequels that are spat out that offer no real innovation, a developer takes a chance and before anyone has even tried it they're shooting it down. I will reserve my judgement till I have a chance to play it and I think other people should too.

9. glenster

glenster glenster

"Touch of Evil" isn't NYC and is film noir. See Wikipedia "Crime in Brazil."

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

11. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Well I live in São Paulo. And although we don't have snow, believe me, we can get a clouded weather for almost a month. São Paulo is called "Terra da Garoa" (something like "Thin Rain Land")

There are two films I can recomend to watch about crime, violence and vegence that take place here in Brazil:
    "Tropa de Elite 1&2". They take place in Rio de Janeiro, a reality that is different from São Paulo, but still good movies with some very interesting insights about drug dealers, drug consumers (that are treated like drug dealers partners) and politics. Don't know if there's some translation for other countries for these movies.

Anyway, I was a HUGE fan of Max Payne. The first one was a mark in history of games, and the second one was good too.
    Rockstar proved that they could make a sick and noir game with "manhunt" (the first one, the second was one of the shittiest games I ever saw).
    I will give MP3 the benefit of doubt too because, as said before, judging the game just by some screen shots isn't fair.

UPDATE:
    Tropa de Elite 1 at IMDb
    Tropa de Elite 2 at IMDb

Please don't account for that "Che Guevara-like" front. It doen's have anything to do with comunism and/or such thing

I just hope the don't kill the game franchise like Bethesda did with Fallout in Fallout 3. God, I wish they had made New vegas instead of FO3...

12. ahmedz_1991

ahmedz_1991 What's a Dremel?

guys maybe it's Max but 10 years after the original games, a heartless killer directing his anger toward crime instead of just grieving. Maybe the story will go backward in time. No one thought of that ??

13. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

*cries* ... what have they done?

14. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

they dont have the same voice actor so it wont be as good

15. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Indeed, any idea if they have the same writers? I always found the way the story was told one of the best aspects of the game.

16. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Sam Lake (which is the Anglicised version of his Finnish name) wrote Max Payne 1 & 2 and then Alan Wake. He works with Remedy while Max Payne 3 is being developed by Rockstar.

17. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

If you adored the sequel your opinion is wrong. Everything that made the story great in the first game, the character, the unity of time (in that you're basically playing through one night of Max's life, surviving on painkillers, rather than on some sort of campaign) it all worked perfectly. I mean it just escalates so majestically, Max just kills his way through the ranks, up and up, with no plan. He's just flailing. It's genius. The sequel just had nothing on it. Particularly as they kept over-using the 'Look, I've been fatally shot, but I'm going to disappear while you weren't looking' trope. It happened once in the first game, that was enough for the entire series. All the sequel had was the gameplay. Which is good, but Max Payne was about so much more than that.

Also Max Payne one has the kung fu mod.

18. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I agree. Wait for the game. Sao Paulo is an interesting local and was done well in MW2. I don't think it's instant game over for the series. Deus Ex 2 was famous for killing the "spirit" of Deus ex, but it's too early to claim the same for Max payne 3. either the game will be very good and have the same vibe, or it will be sequel in name only. As I said before, location is not the only thing that made Max payne. That's like saying mw2 wasn't as good as modern warfare because most of it did not take place in russia.

19. Rafael Vale

Rafael Vale What's a Dremel?

I live in São Paulo too and during the winter it can get very clouded and rainy.

Just to give a idea it has been over one month that I cant paint my brother´s case just because I can only do it on sundays and every single sunday starts to rain heavily.

I did not play MW2, but if I am not wrong the story takes place on Rio de Janeiro and not on São Paulo.

20. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

"a pre-Giuliani-era NYC wrought with drug addicts, low-lives and scum." That has been my impression of New York City my entire life. Has something changed and nobody told me?
    Max Payne is a very special game to me. It is one of a very select few that went straight to the garbage can instead of being given away so my friends could try. I was so ashamed that I bought such a worthless piece of crap I just could never admit that I'd actually bought it to anyone. The only reason I do so now is to discourage anybody to go through the shame and inner humiliation I went through after I realized what I had wasted my time and money on. You have been warned!

Tags: Add Tags