1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Critical Hit: The Return of Casual Gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Dec 2010.

1. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

to be honest I like the gizmo's more than the games

2. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you have something against the word casual... like it's some kind of insult to you.

What we're talking about is the quality of games, whether they are casual or not. You are right that most people would consider Pokemon to be casual, until they found out how deep it actually is, but that's only what we are already saying.... Casual games can be great, and have depth. The problem are the ones that are the opposite to that - of which there are far too many.

And for what it's worth, there's not a single guitar hero player in this entire world who could kick the crap out of me.

Mik3yB @ CCL likes this.
  3. nakchak

nakchak What's a Dremel?

I think casual is the wrong word to use when describing most of these "casual" games, accessible on the other hand i think is much better.

Using the pokemon example its a very accessible game, as is wii sports, or any of the megadrive sonic games, nothing to confuse the player with simple to pick up hard to master.

Similar arguments exist when ever something was prohibitively technical for the masses to engage with, i.e. having to faff about with himem settings in dos to allocate all your ram to a game so that it would run, or having to unlock ur old school athlon/duron with metallic paint/pencil but now you can buy pre oc'd boxes have windows based apps for setting clock and timings and never have to do much more memory management than setting swap file sizes. Now u have *nix users arguing about the dumbing down of *nix failing to grasp that accessible = people with different mindsets can and will use it.

Casual gaming to me is time killing, accessible gaming on the other hand means ur nan/mum who ever can just pick it up and have a go and is that such a bad thing, admitadly when u have developers churning out crap to cater for all satisfy none then thats bad, but how is that any different from annother fifa or pro evo, i mean its still 22 men chasing a bag of air what else is there to add or perfect?

4. Xir

Xir Modder

2 points
    That's how far we've come. The Mass effect universe isn't shallow, but it isn't that deep. Not compared to freespace/2/Eve/the X series/Starlancer/freelancer...

Second...nice bundles for WII? Where? Never even found a single bundle with everything included for two players...

Tags: Add Tags