1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Crossfire Back Compatability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IHaveNoShoes, 23 Nov 2005.

1. IHaveNoShoes

IHaveNoShoes What's a Dremel?

Now that crossfire has been released, i have a question regarding back compatability, both with single and double card configurations.
    I expect that the new mobos released with dual card slots can support older radeon Xseries cards, but could someone confirm.
    The second question is: I have a Connect3D X800XL card at the mo, but i bought it circa. april 2005, could this be run in a dual card config using another, newer crossfire master card, if so would that card have to be an X800 or would any crossfire master card work?

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

#1: Any PCI-E card should work in a single-slot configuration on the Radeon boards.

#2: You have to use a master card of the same series, so an X800 master would be required. More info.

BTW, Welcome to Bit :thumb:

3. IHaveNoShoes

IHaveNoShoes What's a Dremel?

Good article, i'm a little surprised at what i've been reading about crossfire recently (seems that there's a few bugs in both the hardware and the software drivers), but it seems that pound for pound there isn't much difference between the crossfire and SLI methods. I just looked on overclockers though and they don't even do a X800 master anyway, so its a little academic in the first place. possibly it'd just be better to save up for 2 of the new X1800 series rather than have to get an inferior card now, just cos it matches my current one.

Tags: