1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT vs TFT the final showdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dodge, 22 Jun 2004.

1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:
    i have a little bottle of crt cleaner stuff and a cloth
    every now and then when i notice a dirty spot i spray it then wipe it :confused:

2. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

I find a TFT is a bit of an exotic item to the less-technical people, in that they're actually *afraid* to touch it, so they don't :D
    (I hate people touching monitors though because of leaving marks, and I let them know it, so whatever I use it's wise to steer clear!)

3. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

/me pokes edhis screen.

i checked out the monitor at work today 19" sigma it has an amazing viewinagle but the blur is errr rather annoying, cant tell if its the monitor or the dodgey dvd were playing. wasnt too impressed with how sharp the piture looked eiter, again this is problay down to the dvd

4. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

Could be the way it was connected?
    My Uni uses some 15" TFTs that are connected via D-SUB and they're absolutely shocking. I can't use them for more than 10 minutes before it feels like my eyes are bleeding :waah:

It could be a multitude of reasons why they're like that, but common opinion regarding them seems to be the D-SUB connection not supplying as good a signal as DVI would.

5. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

where did he get it from... cant find anywhere online...

6. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

7. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

8. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

I've got the Dell 2001FP I posted a pic of a page or two back.
    Careful about what reviews you read. The first 172X was released some time ago and the manufacturer previews they sent out were using high-response-time panels that were generally naff.

The 12ms panel is supposed to be excellent in almost every respect IIRC

9. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

I have seen a laptop with a 17" TFT that can do 1920x1080 (it's widescreen, too :jawdrop: :jawdrop: ), and Dan's Data says that there isn't a CRT that can go that high.
    http://dansdata.com/gz029.htm
    Looks like TFTs wins for resolution if you count the laptop TFTs.
    P.S. The Toshiba laptop with that screen costs $2500, which is actually not too bad once you consider that the laptop has integrated HDTV (world's first portable HDTV set that is also a portable PC?).

10. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

a simple iiyama 454 does 2048x1536 mmmm @ 80hz

11. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

can i have a pick like what Edhi did for us? i want to see what its like, im considering getting one,

i would like to see before i purchase, shame pc world dont do this monitor, has anyone else got comments on this monitor?

12. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

The best pic I could get would be from a cell phone camera, and I'm sure you want something more high-res. Hopefully next weekend I'll be at my folks house, so you can see some 1280x960 snaps. Best CRT I can compare it with is a Viewsonic 19".

13. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 27 Jun 2004
  14. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

hmmm double post howed that happen sorry.

15. DeathStorm

DeathStorm What's a Dremel?

I have an NEC FP1375X here which allows both DVI and DSUB and there's no appreciable quality difference between the two, the DSUB allows you to use more than 60Hz at 1600x1200 but the DVI doesn't require any fiddling with geometry so I'd be inclined to believe it shouldn't make a huge difference to quality.

16. DeathStorm

I'm guessing but it's probably a cheap TFT, high response time will lead to blur and the sharpness will be down to dot pitch both things which many TFTs are not great at, response time has come along nicely and you've got a lot of options there but I don't seem to see many with a good dot pitch.

The Dans data article is refering to TVs isn't it?

17. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

It doesn't really on high end monitors and high end cards, but the TFTs in question are cheap (I would guess!) and fairly old, and they're hooked up to onboard graphics.

I can definately see little to no difference between D-SUB or DVI on say a Radeon 9800, but when it comes to "Intel Extreme Graphics" (hahaha, extreme? Who are they trying to fool? :eyebrow: ) I think there'd be a fairly significant drop in quality (though it may just have more to do with the old monitors more than anything)

18. DeathStorm

Well that NEC is old too! First CRT I ever saw with a DVI connector :D

It'd be interesting to test the difference but I'm guessing most people here are on modern video cards and semi modern monitors for the most part.

19. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

hmm im swaying towards that 172x its the only monitor which ive seen which is suited to games. its either that or a 454 hmmmmm. 400 is alot of money, but then i get to brag that ive got one.......

EDIT: i could buy a x800 and get some good change for that much, but i guess that would last me a fair few years..

20. DeathStorm

If you're going to spend big do so on a monitor, it should be with you for a lot longer assuming it doesn't break down, the problem with buying a high end video card is it will devalue quickly so you'll be forced to sell if you want to keep up to date but for most monitors this isn't true as if you look at CRTs a really good one would still be good today. TFTs are a little different in as much as they're newer technology and they're undergoing more important changes within a short time.