1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB SSD Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 21 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

delivered the performance i was hoping for, this could well be my first SSD but still think that the price is a little high

dont have much need for high write speeds tbh for my intended use of th drive

3. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

Is the Bit-Tech recommended award on the last page suppose to say: Crucial C300 256GB?

4. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

So, this seems perfect as a boot drive to hold Windows, Office, browsers and the like. Everything else can sit on a Spinpoint F3.

I'll probably get one this week, but would appreciate advice on installing Windows (7x64) onto the drive - is it true that you should install fresh Windows onto a clean HDD and then ghost the image across onto the SSD or I am safe to perform a standard Windows install directly onto the SSD?

Many thanks,

Cleggy.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Direct install is fine.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

thanks for the spot - fixed

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You're good to go straight off the bat, no ghosting required. I think you still have to perform alignment when installing XP, but 7 waves a magic wand so you don't have to faff about doing that.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I think this could be my next PC purchase!

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

This is exactly my setup as of last weekend, and it's working well so far :)

The only thing I can't really put on there is games, but then if I wanted to do that I would need to spend £500+ on a 256GB SSD with similar performance, since the vast majority of my games are now on Steam, and AFAIK you can't split a Steam install and games across multiple drives - they all need to be on the same one, so swapping them across isn't an option for me.

10. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

i Love the diea of this drive especially as i have 2 sata 3 ports. but i have noticed that corsair have released 40gb, 60gb and 80gb versions of the F100 SSD and they have the same SandForce controller as the existing models. I wonder how these would stack up against C300.

The C300 has a faster read speed (if your port can provide it) but the corsair ones have a better write and random 4k write proformance.

Its a shame that there isnt just one drive that is the best like the F3 to makes things simpler!

11. WarMadMax

WarMadMax What's a Dremel?

relatively simple fix,

Easiest on Windows 7 / vista, but dooable on XP is make an NTFS junction,
    what that intails is install it as normal on your HDD ( D:\ ?) ...
    you then move the contents of the install folder into a new folder onto your SSD (should be a sub folder in steamapps ? can't get at the details, at work!)
    once you've done that, There's an app out there called junction magic that i used to create a junction point.

junction points make read and writes that look at "D:\Steam\SteamApps\HL2\" actually go to "C:\Games\HL2"

Because it's at file system level, the program doesn't see any of this, you can even do it on windows folders.
    As soon as the junction's active, the files "appear" at the old location in windows explorer.

so far i've junctioned my user profile & temp drive off the SSD onto the Hard drive so that gets write thrashes, and junctioned a couple of games off the HDD to the SSD for faster loading.

Grimloon likes this.
  12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i wont be considering ssd until they have much higher capacities, and prices fall inline with hard drives

13. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Excellent, I just ordered one :D I might even be able to fit about 20 GB of my Steam folder on there as well by junctioning it. Thanks for that tip WarMadMax, have some rep!:thumb:

14. WarMadMax

WarMadMax What's a Dremel?

Just Ordered one of the highpoint controllers for my maximus formula, shall see what sata 6Gb/s brings over Sata 3Gb/s :)

15. John_T

John_T Minimodder

This is exactly the sort of review I've been waiting to read - excellent, thank you.

16. Makaveli

Makaveli What's a Dremel?

You will be waiting a very long time.

17. Gannu

Gannu What's a Dremel?

The line beneath the second photo reads - 'The 64GB model uses the same 128GB cache as the 256GB version too. Click to enlarge'

Please correct it to 128MB cache. :p

18. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one wodering how 4 of these with a decent SATA-6Gbs raid card would perform?

19. Redkachina

Redkachina Califragilistsic Expialidocious

Nope you're not the only one lol

20. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Am considering putting my 80GB Intel (M) drive into my laptop, and then getting two of these in a RAID array on my Marvel 6gbps motherboard controller.... hmmmm will have to talk to the boss ie wife!

Tags: Add Tags