1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crucial v Tyan Radeon 9700

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 28 Feb 2003.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. sojumk

sojumk What's a Dremel?

What revision is your Tyan? I just purchased mine a week ago and it seems like my card looks different from the picture on any site i goto...even yours

It says on my Manual Rev 2 :confused:

3. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

Still getting thoroughly ripped off in the UK I see:

Sapphire: US price $242.00 = £152.96, UK price £268.00

Crucial: US price $339.00 = £214.24, UK price £252.00

TYAN: US price $339.00 = £214.24, UK price = £364.00

The Crucial card works out fairly similar either side of the Atlantic but both the TYAN and the Saphire cards cost over 70% more in the UK at todays exchange rate.

Shopping around the net for hardware and software I see that most things are roughly 30% more in the UK than in the US. It really P!$$3$ me off. :grr:

4. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

you think thats bad, the cost in Ireland it almost always 25% more than the UK (30+25 = 55% increase). If anyone has the right to bitch about prices its us...

5. Iceman

Iceman Staff

The Tyan was a rev 1.3 card I think, dont forget this is a review sample and you will be quite lucky to hit 390 core on a 9700 Pro with no volt mods or additional cooling. I conducted the benchmarks which is why I know about the revision of the card :)
    I have a 9700 Pro project going on atm which will be posted up here once it's done, 530+ core, 760+ ram speeds....

6. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR AGP 8X: $489 CAD
    ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR: $612 CAD

thats about 200 pounds for you brits fro the pro
    and 290 for the AIW, still beasts the pants off buying from a US and having it shipped. This place is a semi-local shop (30 min drive) so :D

7. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Nice review :)

I imagine the reason the Tyans memory doesn't clock so well is that the huge heatsink gets heated up by the core and so the memory gets warmer than it would with separate heatsinks (though saying that, BGA memory doesn't seem to be that effected by cooling, but obviously you can't tell how hot its getting with that huge heatsink on compared to when the memory is bare).

My leadtek Ti4600 which has a rather Tyan like, all enveloping heatsink, had the same issues with a poor memory overclock until I added a 120mm fan in the side of my case...now the memory will hit 730 no problems :clap: 80Mhz over stock....

:)

8. Iceman

Iceman Staff

No I blasted an 80mm Delta at it and it only gave me another 5mhz on the RAM, sadly the RAM became a bottleneck which is why I didn't break 190003dmarks. Past about 370 core you need to bring the RAM up too, good core, useless RAM but never mind. The Tyan cooler is loud too compared to the others and the fan is vicious if you put your finger in it by accident...

9. IronFire

IronFire What's a Dremel?

On page 4 you say :

" As you can see, the Tyan kicks some major butt when it comes to core clocking (due to the huge heatsink I'm guessing) but the memory really doesn't like it. "

While the graph shows that the core doesnt clock at all and the mem clocks v.high :confused:

Was this the section that needed updating as I have refreshed it to make sure I wasnt on the old version. :confused:

10. Iceman

Iceman Staff

Yes the graph is the wrong way around, there is a disclaimer on the front home page about it :) Just swap the colours around :D

11. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Damn! I updated the text and forgot to upload the new graph :waah: sorted now :rolleyes:

12. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

Review all and good, but just one thing...
    Unreal Tournament is made for OpenGL, not D3D...
    So i'd guess you'd get even better resaults running that render.

13. Iceman

Iceman Staff

UT2k3 runs on D3D i think you'll find....

Tags: Add Tags