1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I saw RLC drop to 78pence and then return back up to 1.10. Some whales made a pile of money today.

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Thanks!, We've just released an open source GPU miner but it currently uses Cuda which is limited to Nvidia cards and Linux some of the community are currently porting it to windows and hopefully AMD (opencl) later.

The major problem I have with the pool atm is it's like the chicken and egg situation unless I get a lot of people in the pool we aren't going to solve blocks and if we aren't solving blocks the pool doesn't update everyone's credit so i do need quite a bit of power at the pool. Unfortunately, I have all AMD cards so I can't even direct power at the pool yet lol, I guess as the 0xbitcoin project grows people should/will choose alternative pools rather than the 2 big main ones which currently have around 500 people on each.

If you want to find out more about 0xbitcoin and what makes it so special please visit https://0xbitcoin.org/

Here are a couple interesting Medium articles
    https://medium.com/@admazzola/the-case-for-the-mineable-erc20-token-78cbb4c34331
    https://medium.com/@admazzola/decentralized-ethereum-payments-9c80cd76a65a

B1GBUD likes this.
  3. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Well i'm guessing everyone here is on Crypto-lockdown since its a sea of red and generally things have been all over the place this last couple of months!

Anyone getting anything in the sales?

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Yeah - definitely in "don't look and it isn't real" mode haha.

But I am still more than confident this will be a good year for Crypto in general. A lot of work going on to clamp down on the scam coins, banning of adverts means people will actually have to do a bit of research before investing, the "I mortgaged my house to buy bitcoin, now I live in a box" horror stories are all but extinct, we're getting closer and closer to fixes for scaling problems and working dapps etc.

I bought a little more ETH on the way down, just to lower my average buy-in, but;

A) After spending £2k+ on bike parts I can't really make use of the dip
    B) I really don't know how low it's all going to go.

I suspect there will be a few more weeks of gradual climbs, followed by severe sell-offs, then some big news will hit and the market will make a distinct u-turn and go full bull mode again.

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I think the announcement of barclays accepting coinbase lark will help crypto, hopefully the other banks follow suit and it takes a bit of taboo away from crypto in general.

MLyons likes this.
  6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Short version of the Ledger hack:

- Requires physical access to the device before initial setup, or convincing the user to flash a malicious MTU firmware themselves (not automated, requires buttonpresses on the device)
    - Is a more complex version of the 'pre-set seed' trick (mailing a ledger with a known seed already set manually), by replacing the random number from the SE with a known value or values (e.g. a 1000-value function could generate what appear to be unique seeds to the user but that are crackable with a mere 1000 iterations)
    - Cannot extract existing seeds from Ledgers set up with a genuine firmware

The hack relies on cramming expliot code into a few hundreds of bytes (258 bytes in the POC) made available in the memory of the non-secure processor (that controls the LCD and talks to the SE) by deduplicating some code blocks shared between the MCU and main firmwares. The original firmware code must remain present and intact, because it is read out to to the SE in order to verify its hash. Ledger's fix is to remove the duplicate blocks and add then known nonces to pad out the space created (so changing the nonces changes the hash), along with adding a timeout to the readout time period to prevent storing a compressed version of the original firmware. Looking at the ISO standard for the smartcard interface used in the SE, for a 10MHz clock the data rate to the MCU is a hair over 1.2 kilobytes per second, so a malicious firmware would need to decompress and output at this rate or faster, while still storing a copy of the new hard-to-compress firmware (random nonces do not compress well) and must run entirely form the space freed up by compressing the real firmware.

The only way to bypass this would be to physically replace the on-board storage for the non-secure area with a larger capacity device, but if you're going to do that you could just as well build an entire fake device and put it inside a Ledger case to start with.

The claims that the Ledger is vulnerable to an 'Evil maid' attack to extract existing keys has not been demonstrated, nor has an avenue as to how such an attack be performed been detailed.

Yaka, MLyons and TheMadDutchDude like this.
  8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Phew. Thanks for explaining that one in a summarized post. :)

9. koola

koola Minimodder

BTC death cross has been quite profitable today! Painful if your hodling :lol:

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Depends on buy in price, still worth several times more than I paid for my BTCs:thumb:

11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I could see it as painful, but instead I'm seeing it as a chance to seriously lower my over all buy-in price.

Still expecting ETH to have a good 2018, so I'm happy in my position.

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

looking for some respectable links to the daedaluswallet to make sure I get it from the correct source. You understand I think I know the correct webpage but need a way to verify before I take ADA off the exchange. Cheers guys!

13. koola

koola Minimodder

Yeah DCA is your friend.

ETH is still very bearish right now, more downside is likely short term. ERC20 tokens is the place to hedge given Coinbase announcement.

14. subset7

subset7 Spanking the Monkey

Link from official web page

https://www.cardano.org/en/the-daedalus-wallet/

15. Zoon

Managed to double my verge having just dumped it today. There’s a lot going on about it being another con and the only reason for the recent doubling was because the developer was artificially increasing it to score some cash for his tax bill. Going to keep it in ETH for now and see about doing something with it when/if ETH recovers a bit more.

A lot of the watchers are predicting a bull run again in the next couple of months. I guess we will see.

16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

BTC has been rising steadily for a change... hopefully the trend continues and my LTC follows too.

17. Zoon

XVG has dumped back to it's original value so I got out at just the right time - nice! I've turned that into a pile more XRP and some more FUN as well to bring down my average buy cost.

Everything is green, a lot are predicting the start of the summer bull, so who knows what we could see in the next couple of weeks!

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So far, the absolute best performer in my portfolio since everything took a dump has been Stellar Lumens - it's up 61% on the month! (It was up 72% this morning, but somebody's cashed out big.)

19. Zoon

Yeah I noticed it was down to 13p recently and it hit 27p today. Bad time to buy though since it's a peak etc but hopefully it's a sign of decent recovery on this coin!

XRP was up by around 10p a coin as well - my hodling was up by 33% overnight basically. Quite nice.

20. Zoon

RLC is up by 10p, NANO/XRB is up by 50p, XVG is yo-yo-ing (feels too scammy to buy back in) but up from 4.3p to 5p, XRP is up by 3p, LTC is up by £2, ETH is up by around £18, £200 on BTC. It's a good day all round it seems!