1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Ill keep hold of my etherium :)

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And even if the laptop was found...

Where the bitcoins properly secured so whoever found the laptop didn't simply walk away with them?

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

No keys, or backup/recovery phrase, no crypto

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

IIRC it's the keys that are stored on the hard drive...

5. B1GBUD

Yes

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As per here, Nvidia's artificially restricting the hashrate of its 3060 family to try and get some cards in the hands of actual gamers, and launching a CMP range of dedicated mining cards with no graphics outputs (which, reading between the lines, are built from rejected GeForce chips.)

MLyons likes this.
  7. B1GBUD

Came here to say this, overall it's a good move on NVidia's part to create a dedicated mining card, but I can't help thinking that it's all a little too late. If yeilds improve, great... but ultimately they'll have distinct revenue streams and if one proves more more successful than the other then they'll focus their resources towards the favoured, which could hurt gaming further.

8. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Noob alert!

Anybody point me in the direction of an absolute idiots guide to cryptocurrency?

By which I mean buying/selling rather than the underlying concepts of it. I’m getting a bit of fomo reading this thread and I’ve always contemplated chucking a few quid of my eBay profits into it to sit on and I’d be quite happy to buy a ledger nano just to give it a punt!

9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

re ledger nano didnt there stuff got hacked? mate of mine has had to change his phone number due the the sms spam he was getting as they got all the details of their customer based leaked

10. B1GBUD

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The devices weren't compromised - as far as I'm aware, there's never been a proven attack against the device itself. What happens is more akin to social engineering: a reseller buys sealed Ledger packages; opens them; removes the instructions and blank "write your seed words here as a backup" card; puts in a pre-filled seed word backup card and fake instructions telling the user to put the pre-generated seed words into the Ledger during setup; reseals the packaging.

The buyer opens the box, reads the instructions, recovers the key using the seed words instead of generating their own, deposits crypto... and loses it all, 'cos the reseller has the keys too.

However...

Those that did this got their details - including email and, in some cases, actual home address of a person known not only to have crypto but to have enough crypto to justify the purchase of a hardware wallet - snaffled in a couple of data breaches, whereas those who purchased via Amazon or similar did not. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've had all variety of "Your Ledger has been compromised, go here and fill in details to recover" emails since the breach.
    It strikes me as odd, because I feel that those that are crypto-savvy enough to use a hardware wallet are also savvy enough to understand that it's a phish.

But, just a numbers game I guess. There's always one.

13. B1GBUD

As @DeadP1xels confesses, whilst not an actual tech noob, is a crypto noob so there are plenty of new people getting interested that have some level of competency.

14. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Well it smashed the $50,000 I predicted and has kept on going...has it outgrown the symbolic buy and sell points we saw last time around do we think?

Surely it's too late for people to jump aboard the wagon at this stage?

15. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I remember when Bitcoin was at $300 and thinking what a load of overpriced nonsense but maybe I should buy some anyway. Well guess who still hasn't bought any! If we see a big correction again (which I suspect is likely) then I will get some but otherwise I will just have a higher number that I missed out on.

I am however tempted to use my spare solar power generation plus my 3070 to mine some Ethereum as it seems I could earn a couple of quid a day (pc sits idle most daytimes). However as a complete noob on crypto I don't even know where to start (and how not to get ripped off)!

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yep, no point buying into it at peak value.

17. B1GBUD

It's easier than you think, you have the hardware so that's one hurdle out of the way.

Choose a Miner, I used to use Claymore until it broke at epoch #384, I'm currently using T-Rex, with the same 1% dev mining fee.

Choose an Ethereum wallet: It could be on an exchange (Coinbase, Blockchain etc.. or a physical device), up to you.

Choose a pool, mining with a pool means you will get regular payouts, how often and by how much is down to how much hash rate (RTX 3070 could hit about 62MH/s with some tweaking) and what you set your payout limit to. Pool fees differ but as an example, I use Nanopool but there are loads more - https://www.poolwatch.io/coin/ethereum

If you want to know more, just shout!

Spraduke likes this.
  18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Not mining with excess solar is like not wanting free money :D I've been doing a tiny bit of mining using excess solar here and there.

I wrote a mining helper program to ensure I don't waste solar power or my own money. It's MQTT message listener for home automation, but the key part you need is between "Additional logic here for PC" comments. nvidia-smi.exe allows you to tweak GPU power, so I have set it to be within range of 103-225w*, meaning my GPU power closely tracks solar production. The computer is also auto-WOL by my home automation hub (Home Assistant) based on solar production.
    https://github.com/wyx087/solar-mqtt/blob/master/pc.c
    (you'll need to write your own, the C code won't directly work with your setup)

As for the actual mining, I did read into Ethereum mining but gave up when I found out there's so many miners and so many pools with different fee and payout settings. Nicehash seems to be an easy sign-up and go solution.
    I signed up to NiceHash and ran the program. It doesn't require much knowledge to use, the account sign up did everything for me. They run their mining program and pays me in BTC.

* I personally I feel it's worth limiting the GPU power consumption when mining to ensure hardware isn't under too much stress. Gaming power draw is 260w on my 2080 Ti, I never run it above 225w for those occasional mining.

MLyons and Spraduke like this.
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Are you mining on your desktop or on a dedicated device? 'cos I'm giving it a go on the desktop, and while it's working fine:

Screenshot_2021-02-22 T-Rex v0 19 11 - [CUDA v11 10].png

It's making things very herky-jerky. I tried enabling --low-load, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference: anything involving scrolling or switching windows is way slower than when the GPU's not doing owt else.

EDIT:
    Set intensity to 12, and things are better - but it's dropped the hash rate to 28.5MH/s from about 36MH/s. It's also dropped the card's reported power draw to 141W, though, so swings and roundabouts.

EDIT EDIT:
    Setting intensity to 13 gets me 32MH/s at 151W, with more slowdown than 12 but less than 14. Might see if I can live with it running at this, then switch to the default high-intensity mode when I'm not at the PC.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2021
  20. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

If I've understood correctly the workflow is as follows:
    Miner software on PC --> pool hashrate with a mining pool (e.g. nanopool) --> mining pool pays out coins to wallet of choice.

Does that sound about right?

I was under the impression that GPU mining of Ethereum pays (especially with 0 electricity cost) but I thought GPU mining of BTC had been superseded by ASICs? What kind of payout do you get through nicehash - simple does sound better even if its not 100% optimal!

As for the automation in respect to solar output, I do have some basic coding skills and a web portal which I guess I could monitor generation through (not aware of a specific API I can access). In my head it was just going to be turning on the PC in the morning if it looked like it would be sunny!