1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Crysis 2 leaked

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tennisball, 11 Feb 2011.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Nothing about this game feels like Crysis.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

From what I can tell the enviroments aren't exactly destructable, this may just be because it's an early build. I really enjoyed punching through buildings in Crysis 1. But there really isn't anything even close to comparable to Crysis 1's destruction as far as I can tell.

The powers feel drastically down played this time around. You don't switch between them anymore, they're simply automapped I guess. You don't switch to strength to jump higher or punch harder, you just hold down jump, or hold down punch.

The game is very linear. You no longer have the option to go about doing things the way you want like in Crysis 1. The options that you seem to have boil down to run in and kill everyone in the area, or do it stealthily and that's about it. The areas themselves are very confined.

Forget the multiplayer, it's just a CoD clone. You pick your load out and three perks, and get into the action. Game modes boil down to essentially Deathmatch, TDM, and Headquarters. You get kill streaks which will give you some tactical advantages similar to the ones in CoD.

The game looks better in terms of art direction and overall color palette. It's definitely not a "Brown and Bloom" shooter as someone mentioned previously. Though overall it does look worse than the first. This build is only DX9 but honestly, it's not like DX10 games have ever given us any drastic improvements. I can't see DX11 giving it that big of an upgrade either. Regardless, I could care less about the visuals.

It's a boring CoD clone and that's why I cancelled my pre-order.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Feb 2011
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's sad you based your purchasing decision on an unfinished product rather than the real thing. I suppose it doesn't stop you buying it at a later date though.

3. Canon

Canon Reformed

Sounds like they fixed most things that made the first ******** :D

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I agree. It looks to me like there are a lot of people who like to complain about something even when there's nothing wrong with it.

"Nothing about this game feels like Crysis. "

It's not the final product we have. The nanosuit functionality has been changed but that is not necessarily the end of the world.

I completed the original crysis and liked it. I like what I've seen in this leaked beta also. I am not someone who insists on everything staying the same. Moving the game to a city setting looks like a good move from what I've seen in the videos.

There are a whole lot of complainers here who just like to complain about anything even though they don't really know why they're complaining.

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Wow! That's real virtue! You are such an honorable pirate :)

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing that's sarcasm, if it is then I think he's referring to situations such as abandonware I think they get called? Games that are no longer in production, can no longer be bought new so the developers get no money anyway. Good example is FF7 PC, you can no longer purchase it via methods that would result in the developers making money so whether it's pirated or bought second hand would have the same effect.

7. wafflesomd

Thanks for blocking that stuff out, I wasn't sure how.

Well I can't imagine how much different the final version will be. I've gotten a good taste of the overall feel of the game, and the only real issues with it are some random crashes and pretty hilarious physics and enemy AI bugs.

It just feels like they've taken out most of the aspects that made Crysis what it is.

I'm in a better position to judge the game as it is than you are. I mean does what you said even make sense? I know exactly what I'm complaining. The game is boring and unoriginal in every aspect. I didn't even like the first Crysis but it's still better than this pile of redundancy.

The game feels like a generic corridor shooter. That's why I'm complaining. Unless the final product is a completely different game, they would have a lot of work ahead of them before release to make something quality. I was basically going to head to the store and pick up Call of Duty again. I'm really glad I was given the chance to change that.

Whatever, bit-tech will still give it a 9 like Far Cry 2.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2011
  8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

with 1 month to release, the linear level design and the lack of suit function in gameplay is pretty much already set in stones. so i think there's every reason to base purchase decision on this leak.

only thing cannot be judged with this leak is how much better graphics will be compared to consoles.

@wafflesomd:

wait for Gunsmith's review. Bit-tech has a good overview of Crysis, but i am pretty sure this paragraph applys to Crysis 2 much more than Crysis 1, in fact, this article applys more to Crysis 2:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2010/06/14/crysis-was-terrible/1

9. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I for one am not interested at all in the Crysis 2 leak, all they seem to do is just spoil your perception of the forthcoming product. And frankly if it doesn't and makes you actually wanna buy it, it just wont have the same value.

I will wait for the reviews and then make a decision if I should spend my money on it

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

If you like call of duty then your statements about crysis 2 are meaningless. Call of duty is as boring as it gets. Trashy arcade shooter. I don't mean the entire COD series but certainly the most recent ones. The best COD in my view was number 2. If you didn't like the first Crysis then of course you will complain even more about the sequel. The first Crysis was groundbreaking in terms of graphics and the sheer scale of the 3d world. I found the game interesting enough to carry me through to the end and complete the game. I was bored out of my mind after 20 minutes of COD modern warfare series.

I'm guessing you probably hate Battlefield Bad Company 2 as well eh?

11. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

The best part about the first Crysis (1) was picking off each Korean one by one, after planning your route and working out how to do it without the others seeing you.

I haven't download Crysis 2, but if you play it like you play Call of Duty (IE not being tactical) then, yes, it would feel like Call of Duty.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Screw anyone pirating this. It's outright wrong and illegal and ripping off some one else's work no matter how you try and frame it. There is no argument for piracy full stop.

I'm buying this game because I like playing games and I want more quality games to be developed. It also happens to look like bloody good fun.

13. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Indeed, no-one should post anything that might encourage debate and discussion! *Looks at poster's stated location* Hmm, shouldn't you be firewalled from sites like this?
    Ah yes, Somalia - the land of high-speed Internet connectivity. Don't forget the kiddie-fiddlers as well - it's well known how all their networks profit from such copyright infringement, despite no-one paying a dime for the downloads.
    Prices for Crysis didn't drop very much (in contrast to most other PC games) - when I purchased (over a year after its release) it was still at two-thirds of its initial price. And as others have noted, much of the marketing was about how you'd need a new system to run it - while it's great to see a developer push the envelope, that sort of marketing could only have hurt sales.
    There are plenty of other things hurting the games industry (some self inflicted as discussed previously) but the current economic climate is going to make any game launch far harder.
    I was overall disappointed with Crysis due to the shortened gameplay (it felt like half the length of Far Cry) and the way it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. I might get the sequel but that depends on (a) no online DRM (b) ability to run on WinXP and (c) a better finished singleplayer plot than the original - at a reasonable price (£20-25).

I'd agree with those who wonder why this should be news since it is almost routine for games to be leaked online nowadays. I'd guess Crytek are taking a good look at the download figures to see whether they've got a hit on their hands or not.
    LOL - all Bit-Tech need add is a regular update on seeders and leechers.
    For what it's worth, I don't see that happening at all - there will be a few high-profile cases of large publishers deciding that consoles have dumber owners prepared to pay higher prices for shoddier products offer more profit potential, but that will clear the path for smaller publishers (excluded from consoles by licensing fees) to make their mark on the PC. At the same time, the console market is going to offer less profit with more look-alike play-alikes vying for the attentions of (generally) less committed gamers.

To put some perspective on this, various commentators and publishers have been saying the same things about the PC and piracy for over 15 years:
    Puh-lease don't get me started on Steam. It has the most draconian DRM system of all (effectively "activate per play") giving Valve life-or-death power over your games collection - far worse than anything Microsoft or SecuROM have yet implemented. They wrap it up with a license agreement that gives them free legal rein to charge you in future as they please (the fact that it is titled a subscriber agreement should be setting alarm bells off straight away). However this has been discussed elsewhere so no need to take this thread (more) off-topic.

If you want digital distribution done right (no DRM worries, no possibility of your games being taken away, no extra software running while you game) then GOG is the best option currently, with indie stores like Gamers Front a close second. Given that Far Cry is available on GOG, it shouldn't hopefully be long before Crysis and its sequels follow.

14. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

@ AstralWanderer - Epic post!

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I don't recall every being charged more than once for a purchase on steam. I own quite a lot of steam games and have never been charged for anything over the initial purchase price so I don't know where you're getting this from.

"Life or death power over your games collection" ? Never had any problems playing even the oldest pc games sold on steam network. Steam haven't cut support of discontinued support on any games I own over their network. The same cannot be said of EA. The number of posts I've read from EA game owners outraged because EA have dropped support or forced them to buy a game again because it no longer works in the format they purchased in.

Steam is the number 1 content delivery system because people recognize that it is fair and safe. By safe I mean users don't have to worry about support being dropped or being told they no longer own the game as is the case with EA.

Any game I own on steam will continue to work regardless new OS system releases. You only have to look at the programming quality of the original half life... A game so well designed that it still installs and runs on the latest windows operating system. Contrast that with Battlefield 2142 from EA. A game that can take days to get working and requires deletion of registry entries and multiple reinstalls (as recommended by EA tech support).

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Epic bollocks.

17. SriRuleZ

SriRuleZ What's a Dremel?

The last line in EA/ Crytek's press release cannot be from a decent spinola - "Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community".

Piracy happens in all platforms, not only in PC, if you want to single out PC by all means go ahead but don't deceive the community by saying because of piracy you're switching to consoles. I wonder how build that has leaked only has a dx9 codepath and medium settings if its not intentionally leaked. This leak only undermines the level of code security for a all-hyped up AAA title and if those shoddy guys at crytek/ea can't prevent a leak, surely they can fix all the bugs after release, cant they ?? (*sarcasm*) Hell, it might even be a conspiracy from within Crytek to not release any mode "Cry" games (Crysis 2 - S**thead perhaps) on the PC platform or to boose crysis 2 sales through sympathy (ohh its leaked and pirated, please buy it)

Why would anyone buy a game just because its pirated before launch? If the game is any good ppl will buy it, even those who're currently leeching the leaks of crytek would buy it after playing, if they feel its better than Crysis 1 (atleast honest ppl tempted by the satan to download would do so)

EA's move with the PC gaming community have not been very good lately. After a long time they finally released a steam version of SIMS 3, because they were missing their targets every month in their own clumsy EA store. Crysis 2 will not be released in steam initially, but after couple years when EA realizes that they are once again missing target, they will, meanwhile valve will continue to give games like episodes of HL2, versions L4D and portal in PC only steam delivery service and earn a lot more bucks.

18. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

I was simply commenting on the size and number of quotes/retorts in his post! You seem intent on causing a fuss....

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Using piracy as an excuse to drop PC development for console is quite common it seems. Anyone remember EPIC games saying they were dropping PC game development because PC gamers were pirates? It was nothing to do with the fact that they had a string of mediocre games some of which were so bad that no one remembers them?

I own Unreal Tournament 3 on steam. I tried very hard to like it. I can play it for maybe 15 to 20 mins and then it gets boring. I guess now Epic are developing for consoles they have some real big successes yes? I wouldn't know since I don't own a console.

20. wafflesomd

Where did you ever get the idea that I liked the CoD series? Read my posts and you'll see I compared them in a negative way. I did like Modern Warfare 1 though, after that though I consider them all rehashed garbage.

I don't care for Bad Company 2 anymore. I loved it when it came out and I actually pre-ordered it for myself and another friend. They never really fixed the things I wanted them to though. The hit detection and weapon balancing have been worthless since day one. I can still climb my way to the top of kill count with pistols fairly easily.