1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis 2 PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 30 Mar 2011.

1. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

I didn't say they were prettier, I meant the had more physic calculations. I think the C1 explosions were better and more realistic.

The sparks are pretty much the same as the sparks in Arkham Asylum that you only only saw with Physx enabled, also remind me of a lot of partical based physx demo's so i'm pretty sure the are handled by the physics engine, could be wrong though.

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Sorry I thought you meant graphically. But then, you're still wrong either way. C1 has more detailed physics, and the trees collapsing is graphically better that trees that have bullet hole sprites stamped on them. etc etc.

But I am assuming the guy who made that video has not dumbed C2 down, because I haven't even played it yet.

Added: there's a patch!!
    :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Apr 2011
  3. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

Like I said, the variety of objects that could be affected by physics was better in the original, and I did see one of the few trees in the sequal fall over after I shot something in it's direction. Overall I'd say the physics in C2 were 3 steps back, 1 step forward.

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

Got it yet? Any thoughts? I am planning on formatting my PC very soon, and having already finished C2, don't really see the point in downloading it. Any opinions would be great, as well as how much of a hit performance takes.

I dunno where that quote is from (must have been a few pages back), but I can't see myself not adding "but halved" at the end of it. Like I did here:

Got to agree with how silly the red eyes are. Just typical lowest common denominator stuff as usual. "Her der, red means bad guy".

And Jesus Christ on the AI. I remember seeing an AI tree for C1 and it gave me a headache. Then again, so did playing it sometimes on the hardest difficulty! TBF though, I noticed the horrific AI while my brother was playing it on his 360, and thought even then that I never saw any such behaviour on the PC version. Still, I could have just easily missed it I guess.

I think there is absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind that this is an inferior sequel in many, many ways.

5. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

When I read a couple of articles about the upcoming DX11, there were supposed to be features in DX11 that can run on non DX11 hardware, like better multithreading and a couple of others I can't seem to remember off the top of my head, tesselation of course is DX11 only.

Whether they have implemented this or not is hard to tell, not found anything on the net since, Also if a game gives you both a DX9 and DX11 .exe then it's unlikely that any of the DX11 features will run on non DX11 hardware for that game.

6. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

My opinion seems to be the opposite of most so far, I think graphically this game is just fine, running an eyefinity setup the lower resolution textures allow my FPS to remain above 30 even at 6080*1200px (bezel comp) and I'm not too bothered about stopping to look at floor tiles as I'm gunning my way through New York. I am however extremely disappointed both with the story and the linearity of the game. With shooters having been done to death you HAVE to start incorporating gripping story lines and an unrestricted style of play. This is where Bioshock, STALKER, Dead Space, Mass Effect and Metro 2033 came into their own. They had utter immersion and were re-playable.

C2 on the other hand, as well skipping over the rest of the story from C1/warhead, was uncompelling and the game play synonymous with countless other shooters. Go from A, get to B, shoot some bad guys, defeat a boss or two, re-routes all over the place thanks to unconvincing sub-plots. I'm bored to death of the games that consider themselves revolutionary because of some small quirk the developer decided to implement - in C1+2's case the nanosuit - but offer nothing once you've become accustomed to it. It's great as an air-head game, the kind of game where you relax with a beer or two for hours and blast away at faceless aliens until work the following day.

I don't think I'm alone when I think that games shouldn't just offer mild entertainment to get you through the tedium of everyday life, we have soap operas for that purpose, instead they should pull you into a world beyond this one where you actually feel a real connection to the main characters and environment thanks to uncompromised story-telling and more-or-less total freedom. This area is almost boundless, yet unless you intend on joining the MMO community or fighting once more across a mythical land of magic and spells you are left out to dry. It's a shame, and I don't see any willingness from companies to offer games of that magnitude, they will just get shorter and shorter and more re-hashed until they die altogether. I've completely lost my faith. Thanks Crytek/Activision/Epic etc etc .

7. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

TBH I can't tell the difference - I should've taken a screenshot before and after. Curiously there's no performance hit - not even in memory. Maybe I have to allow larger textures in an autoexec.cfg .

8. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

Tried it very quickly and the first ground texture that I saw seemed much more detailed than I remember, but not all of the textures in the new game are going to be in the old one.

I was still playing without SLI at this point 1st time round so I can't really comment on the perfomance yet, seems smooth enough, If anything it will just take up more video memory and there may be some more swapping through the PCIe bus to the system ram if the gfx card runs out of memory, but I doubt it would cause many issues, will keep you updated when I play more.

9. Seraph84

Seraph84 New Member

good game, but way worse than the firt crysis :(

10. stevenasrock

stevenasrock New Member

hallo in here am new member here

any one got a workable salusion for nvidea in sli mode my crysis2 game is ****t up! but only in game
    my steam and battelfield2 is running like a charme :)

pressent hardware
    asrock p55 ekstreme
    core i7 860
    ocz gold 8 gb
    asus 460 1024mb x2
    ocz agility2 ssd raid0 for OS
    ocz ssd summit only running GAMEZ

never mind the rest!

PLEASE ADVICE!!

11. spy989

spy989 New Member

Tags: Add Tags