1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis 2 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jun 2010.

1. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz New Member

Yeah, another urban setting screams boring to me. Face it, Crytek make good but flawed games, Crysis first few levels were great, same as far cry, and their stories are fairly meh. Not excited over crysis 2.

2. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Member

Knowing Crysis2's writer, Richard Morgan, the motivation probably centres on a NeoCon conspiracy to acquire the alien tech so they can take over the world's oil supply, ridding the world of liberals, atheism and anti-capitalists, as well as giving them a permanent supply of kittens to kick.... :)

Last edited: 8 Jun 2010
  3. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

To be fair, I don't think he meant there weren't any differences from a social, cultural or aesthetic perspective, but from a practical one. A city is a city and it's about as far from a jungle setting as you're going to get without going into outer space. It offers the same opportunities and challenges to the player and developer wherever it is, so the setting is largely irrelevant from a gameplay point of view; it's only relevant for the storytelling and whether you're American or not New York is probably the most iconic urban setting there is.

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

FTFY

Anyway, i for one am deeply, deeply saddened by the way Crytek decided to take the game. They had their niche, which was to break down the roof on graphics. Instead, they decided to go for the mainstream to grab some more bucks. That may be nice for investers, but PC gaming as a whole is losing a pioneering company that was willing to invent and break down boundaries. Instead, we get another samey-samey shooter.

The worst part about this whole article is this:

No. It's not. This is Crysis you are talking about. The whole point of crysis is that it's mindboggingly awesome, blowing you away even at 1FPS as you tear through the ozonelayer. 'Fine' for crysis would be if it looked like the Heaven benchmark, 'Good' would look like you forgot to take out the 'apocalypse now' DVD from your system, having you staring at the screen thinking "i dont remember this movie being this slow, but i love how they remastered it", and i don't presume to know what 'great' would have looked like.
    Instead, it's 'fine', which means that it's completely and utterly -beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep-.

If it were Haze, this comment would have made sense, but Joe, please. Don't you see what we are all losing here? :sigh:

Last edited: 9 Jun 2010
  5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

youve got it wrong, cryteks goal with crysis 2 is to push thier cryengine 3, which in all honesty is a ****ing incredible concept that works, as for all the current footage being on a shitbox, youve got EA to blame for that. the masses will buy anything that A looks shiny and B has some decent marketing behind it (look at MW2)

the way i see it Cevats plan is to use the masses as revenue whilst focusing his attention on C2 being a pc game, (hell look at the pacing and tell me your average consoletard wont die from being not meeting ADHD specs) the masses will moan at it not being like MW2 and requiring they use thier brain and the pc community will be happy tearing it and its engine to pieces, afterall Crymod is an official crytek site and i cant see that being torn down anytime soon.

Cevats still reeling from the kicking he got from C1's release, he lost a lot of money through piracy and crysis needing lol specs at the time, tbh hes partially at fault for this for bigging the game to be bigger then jesus, (i missed all the hype so i had no expectations to meet) from what ive heard if you were able to nom the original crtysis at loony detail thne you'll be able to get on with C2 just as well, its just been optimised to scale better.

technicalities aside its all about the gameplay that will decide if it wins or falls, if its been turned into MW2 stle with a playskool sized hud and slitzoid pacing then he'll have a revolt on his hands.

6. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!

Afraid it will suffer from consolitis.

7. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

Crytek have gone back a step! Why make the game Console first then port onto PC. They could have made another visually fantastic game for the PC first then port to console... i hate the way PC games are going... Valve seem to be the only devs who care for the PC community nowadays!

8. sWW

sWW Member

thats why they are delaying portal 2 so they can port to ps3

9. Cozmo87

Cozmo87 "huh hurmm!!!"

i know ita a fps but i woul love to see a game with A STRONG ACTION and rpg stial intergrated, metro was good but lacked in the wepons buying and the short story. rpg always seam to lack good graphics, apart from the od fuw and fps, always seem to lack scope.
    dose eny one else agree?
    that is time for mare hibrad games?

10. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Lock'n'Load

"...nobody liked the aliens..."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I must be the only one who did like them. They were a whole hell of a lot better visually and dynamically than the usual mutant/zombie hybrid creatures most sci-fi video games present you with.

I'd rather fight something inspired by The Matrix's "Sentinels" and War of the World's "Tripods" then some more deformed sludge spewing freaks from Dead Space or Left 4 Dead.

Yes the later levels in Crysis were poorly designed but Warhead fixed that to a large extent, at least for me. Maybe EA/Crytek decided to hit the console market first this time because they complain less.

I see far worse games being released each year than anything CryTek have put together.

Tags: Add Tags