Gaming Crysis: Warhead Hands-on Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Bindibadgi, 28 Jul 2008.

1. Bindibadgi

Bindibadgi Tired. Forever tired.

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

how was the performance of it tho?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

On the machine they had in their offices and which we were invited to go play an early build of on and which is therefore not entirely representable of the final product in terms of performance?

Yeah, it ran fine with everything on max. :sigh:

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

thanks i did hear that they made a feww changes to the engine that was originally going o be put into a crysis patch but was delayed

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looks like fun, I might pick up the inevitable Crysis + Warhead multipack on release. :)

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I realise that Psycho is a bit of a stereotype, but why the massive hate-on? He had more character than all of the other characters in Crysis. Which, actually... wouldn't really be that hard. Even the John Smiths' cardboard cut-out man is more three-dimensional than the Crysis characters...

I'm looking forward to this at the minute. I hope it's good, so that it does well. That way, Crytek might realise that Crysis selling badly wasn't solely due to piracy... with a fair chunk of it being word of mouth in my experience; "How does it run on your system?" "OK. Not great, but OK." "Ah, it'll barely run on mine, then." Well, that and forums, which always blow things out of proportion (but at times that can be a good thing) where it seemed that 99% of the internet population didn't want to know about Crysis if they couldn't run it on their rigs at max details and ultra-high resolutions.

7. CardJoe

Hate?

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate Psycho since I began to live.

There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill the Bit-tech complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for Psycho at this single micro-instant. For Psycho. Hate. Hate.

:lol:

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I was praying his parachute wouldn't open after the intro and jumping from the plane, think I will skip this jolly >_<

9. Hg

Hg The game known as life

I'm waiting for Gunsmith's Comment, but its looking like it will be a fun game.
    I need to Re-play Crysis now i have an upgraded machine, im sure i will enjoy it more without poor performace etc :D

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

WE NEED MORE CHICKENS

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That's exactly what I was thinking, I never got around to getting Crysis, I couldn't justify the $100AUD price tag, you would think they would have dropped the price sooner after there sales problems.

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

A valued point LOL.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ive also heard rumours of them rebuilding hte original crysis with the warhead engine for those would couldnt enjoy the delicious win win game that was the first.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

My concern is that the Crysis story wasn't exactly mind bending enough to require re-telling, even if it is through another character.

Eh. I'll probably pass on this one, after my negative experience with the first one..

15. CardJoe

eh? It's the same engine, just upgraded. I very much doubt they'd go to the effort of reburning and resdistributing the original game just to include a few performance tweaks. If it were that important/compatible, they'd just do a patch.

16. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I loved Crysis. I just wish the game wasn't so flat- the enviroments were beautiful and felt real, but to say you were on such a hilly island I wanted some cliffs to scale, and some gliding sections, rather than a few jumps. Also, where were all the rope bridges? May have to wait for farcry 2 for that

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Page 2 - para2 - route instead of root.
    Page 2 - para 8 - 'to be prepared for some rather'

I reckon you should publish a book entitled, "The Big-Ass Book of Strange Metaphors", Joe :)

I managed to complete Crysis the other day, on the third go.. (first go, the cannon wouldn't get a lock, second go, it would, but I fell through a black hole on the deck of the ship) and must say that it was pretty good.

The thing with Crysis is that it's a beautiful looking game - it plays well and the mechanics of the game essentially work. The story held together okay, but there were times I was in a state of ungrippedness, particularly near the end. The ship level could have been so much more. It was more a case of dealing with pesky mosquitos before getting on with the task in hand (and, at the end of it.. what a boring task, eh?) There was more tension on earlier levels.

Hopefully Crysis:Warhead will be the several slingshots to the nadgers that hl2ep2 was.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2008
  18. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I agree. :hehe:

Although... it's reaching the point, at least for me, where there are so many odd metaphors or reversal comments in articles by Joe that they distract from the rest of the content. :(

19. Nature

Nature New Member

Opposing force does come to mind... Though Crysis certainly isn't Half-life... And your not exactly an opposing force..

I guess that the engine is really complicated and hard for anyone outside the office to use because there could be some great mods... (dues ex :D Half Life :D BattleField :D Thief :D Resident Evil :D)

20. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

i, for one, will be looking forward to it, finally! some excuse to upgrade my computer.

with more open gameplay, hopefully this one won't be half-a-game like all other CryTek games (Far Cry's epic fail at the end, Crysis fail in alien level)

Tags: Add Tags