1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis Warhead

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/09/23/crysis-warhead/1

Crysis Warhead is inbound and we've ramped up to DEFCON One to see if this tropical sandbox shooter can improve on the original formula or not. Is Crysis Warhead a kilo-ton of fun, or has Crytek set us up the bomb? There's only one way to find out and that's to check out our review.

:)

2. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I've still not played the original due to hardware issues.

However your review of Warhead makes me much more compleed to do so for some reason. Your review started very negative and then ended so well, I thought it was going to get 3 :|

Nice review.

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

I like the parts where you say "... is not bad but it is not good either..." or "...is bad but the good news is..."

So its all 50-50 then?

I really wanted to know how the engine has improved compared to Crysis. does it still need a SLI setup to play everything ultra high with a lower(ish) framerate.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm sure Tim and Harry will be using it for benchmarks going forward since it's a more up to date version of the Sandbox engine.

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

So is it John Sykes or Michael Sykes? (6th paragraph)

Errr.. Anyway. Nice review Joe. It would be nice to have a paragraph or two on how much the engine has been optimised.
    I never played the original Crysis - it's the only game that makes my GT struggle at 1920x1200. I'd like to know if that's changed at all.

Also, Warhead is cheap. £15 cheap. Does that mean it offers half the gameplay of the original(I was under the impression that that wasn't all that long to start with) or have Crytek made back most of their development costs on the engine, so can give users greater value on the game - if so, it may just reduce the piracy that was hyped as being such a problem on the first game.

6. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i think i'll but this one, but i would feel guilty as i never completed crysis, i got bored during the underwater/spaceship scene and couldnt be bothered to plough through the awfulness of that level and finish the game.

peace

fatman

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i love it, too easy tho BUT i suppose they were going for the whole run and gun thing which is cool.

8. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

I thought that crysis had a weak to none existant storyline when you compare it to other games like call of duty 4 which I think is co mpletely unacceptable in this day and age.

9. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'm enjoying it, but it's not as polished as Crysis. The cut scenes sometimes look a bit half finished.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I hope they release a twin pack with the original. I aint paying full price for both of em lol.

11. Hamish

Hamish New Member

oh joe, i cant believe you didnt comment on the painful storyline cutscenes :p
    the one that sticks out especially is the one after the train level, oh dear oh dear
    trying to show Psycho's human emotional side and it was just painful to watch, like the worst movie you've ever seen :D

i actually thought the story in this one was worse than crysis, or if not the story itself then the storytelling
    great game tho, i loved every minute of it

for what it's worth, i ran it with everything on enthusiast but with motion blur turned off ('cos its super annoying)
    Q9450 @ 3.5ghz, 4870 512mb vOv
    didnt check fps but it was definately playable, except the train level, some reason that level absolutely crawled and i dropped back to mainstream to play that one level then switched it all back to max :)

12. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    They might want to check the VRAM use. A 512MB card just doesnt cut it anymore.
    It should be cheaper. It comes with the current EA DRM.

13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I assume you mean "the lack of a decent storyline is completely unacceptable", rather than "CoD 4 is completely unacceptable", but it's hard to tell - grammar is important :D

14. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

What resolution?

15. Hazardous

Hazardous New Member

I've got it running smoothly on my Dell XPS M1730 laptop @ 1920 x 1200 on medium settings :hip:

16. CardJoe

You mean mainstream settings?

17. Hazardous

Hazardous New Member

You were right to question me Joe :wallbash:

I've just checked the settings I was using, and they were at 'Minimum' - not "medium" (there isn't a medium!) :eek:
    Whilst I'm perfectly happy with that setup... I'm gonna try the 'Optimal' settings for my setup (= 'Gamer') next time I start it, to see if it looks/plays any better ;)

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I like how they named the new graphics levels lol.

19. jrr

jrr New Member

Now you've gone and given me the bug - I gotta replay half-life, blue shift, and op4.

20. CardJoe

I just finished replaying the entire Half-Life series last month myself :)

Tags: Add Tags