1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crytek announces Warface

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Nov 2010.

1. Canon

Canon Reformed

Aimed at Asian market? Free to play? Multiplayer only? It's going to be one of those level up, get our 'e-money' credits to buy in game items. I smell a Combat Arms.......I really dislike that game.

2. Deejay2d

Deejay2d What's a Dremel?

Sounds interesting. Not all free-to-play games are bad. For example, F.E.A.R. Combat was a great game, and it was completely free.

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Did FEAR Combat have micro-transactions?

Don't confuse people's issue here; free games kick ass. Who doesn't love some free gaming? The issue a lot of people have comes from the fact it will be funded by micro-transactions, which, at least in my opinion, suck ass.

4. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

So they didn't suggest Warcry? I mean, ****. Warcry. I'd buy it.

Warcry.

5. quack

quack Minimodder

Get your Warface on!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Joker why did you join my beloved Corps?
    Private Joker: Sir, to kill sir!
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: So you're a killer?
    Private Joker: Sir, yes sir!
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Let me see your war face.
    Private Joker: Sir?
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You got a war face? AHHHHHHHH! That's a war face. Now let me see your war face.
    Private Joker: Ahh!
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: ******** you didn't convince me. Let me see your real warface.
    Private Joker: Ahhhh!
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You don't scare me; work on it.
    Private Joker: Sir, yes sir!

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

This is a soley Western view: in the East, micro-transactions are not only very common but very popular as well. It isn't seen as unfair, just as it isn't seen as unfair to spend more to get a competetive advantage in any other competional event.

You don't see officials in F1 hauling Red Bull over the fact they spent more on their car than Lotus did, same as in games, if you can afford to make your character better, why not?

I'm not personally saying I agree, but don't automatically assume no-one likes micro-transactions, because there are tens of millions of gamers who do.

7. shadysam

shadysam What's a Dremel?

that was good one " Warface, but not Cryface?" ^ ^

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

was sold at "PC exclusive"

9. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

Surely "Warcry" would be better? :p

10. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Warface? Great name crytek..................... My 4 year old could do better lol.

11. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I don't really understand why people complain about microtransactions. It only enables you to choose for yourself how much the game is worth. Just pay that amount and enjoy the extras you buy from the chips.
    I certainly will do it that way in World of Tanks.

I think microtransactions are a great way for a developer to make money. Let's face it, it's always annoying, but they do need to make money. With microtransactions its all up to you as a player how much you want to spend, plus you generally pay according to the amount of actual playtime you get from the game.

Maybe the problem is that in this COD: BLOPS day and age us gamers have become utterly incapabl of making any decision that has real consequence, no matter how small.

12. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

In your face, console bitches!

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I think microtransactions are a great way for developers to make money too, but I think they're a dreadful way for players to pay for their games. Everyone knows* that microtransaction-powered free games result in a situation where people that pay to play get advantages over those that don't. It's obvious; why else would they pay for a nominally free service?** What you get is a game where the person with the deepest pockets faces off against the person with the most free time to grind their way through without paying. Either way, gamers that aren't 100% financially or chronologically committed lose out, which alienates people and discourages them from playing the game. Apologies to Penny Arcade...

Bluntly, your skill at a multiplayer game should be the only tool in your arsenal. Microtransaction gaming is like paying for second guesses in Trivial Pursuit.

*And the thing is, the fact that 'everyone knows' means that even if it isn't 100% true you have a huge mountain of prejudice to climb, like this post.
    **Unless they really want to reward the developers for their excellent game. But if the developers have confidence that people will like their product enough to donate money for it, why not put out a demo to entice players, and, uh, put it on sale instead?

Tags: Add Tags