1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crytek defends Crysis 2 DRM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Mar 2011.

1. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

Not buying a game purely because it has DRM is the most retarded thing ever if you think like that you're a moron. It might not even be intrusive it might just be a one time activation none of you even know what it is yet your speculating how bad and how much of an inconvenience it's going to be also GTA IV got rid of all their DRM and Rockstar social club after a while so even if cryteks is intrusive they could remove it but yeah DRM is kind of a waste of time since all DRM is easily crackable.

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

DRM has never bothered me and this doesn't bother me in the slightest. I would prefer to buy games riddled with DRM than see devs miss out on being compensated for what they give us.

3. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

This doesn't stop piracy though. Someone always cracks the games which means that all you do is inconvenience real users. A disc check is fine if they really have to confirm its a real disc and doesn't make it easy for the pirates (will still be cracked tho). Anything more is often unnecessary and worse as it actually impacts the real purchaser. Any anti piracy measures should no noticeable impact on the real buyer anything more than that is not only pointless but annoying.

Just so you know I never pirate games although if really unsure on a game I might test it before buying but I haven't done that yet.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Cheers Dude, this was a slight niggle since everything else I've got from Steam has been hassle free.

5. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Enough people made the threat that led Amazon to dump off Spore and Crysis Warhead to their Marketplace sellers for the launches - though sales of both were still healthy elsewhere and the latter game was sold as normal on re-release.

The GTA 4 thing mentioned by loftie is much more annoying; conflict with an update to a Microsoft app?? Ridiculous - Whenever I catch up with that, it looks like a 360 job.

But with 4 days to go I'm not cancelling the Crysis 2 pre-order and besides there will probably be a day-one patch whatever happens, in the event of DRM being a problem for some.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

It's a problem because of thirteen yearolds. Maybe we should outlaw teenagers and we can remove DRM.

Nah... it is a funny subject eh? You can get a crack of a game and play it pretty easy. I certainly haven't done anything so inconsiderate since I was too young to care. I can tell you though, for the guy downloading the pirate stuff, there has been no difference. Just go back to serials in the box and see if anything changes.

I'm against piracy. It's way to easy. Maybe devs could pay hackers to achieve what they want and make a game out of seeing who can make running a pirate copy the most difficult. Then everyone wins... hackers/crackers get to say I broke your DRM but spotty kids still can't play without wasting hours editing dlls, entering loop back addresses and breaking fair usage policy rules.

Nah.

But seriously, I worked with a load of broke teenagers for a bit and they have no problem using pirates on PC or 360, and they do it often, so it's a problem. The thing is, I know for a fact they wouldn't buy the game anyway, so I'm not sure if it's a lost sale. How do devs get around that?

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea, you have no idea how long it took me to figure out it was IE9. Still don't know why it did it, just that it did.

Woollster00, do you know how to remove the DRM and Social Club from GTA 4? I'm pretty sure mine is still there as I have to login to Social Club before I can start the game, though it should be up-to-date as I have the steam version.

Np Snips - It's just silly PunkBuster was updated to count the Steam overlay as a violation. Also, don't use anything like Teamspeak Overlay, as that's an insta-kick too. ^^

8. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Haven't read all the comments but I can imagine that the DRM is a release date check and that is why they are reviewing the console version first

9. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I Dont like any kind of DRM, but honestly I would still play it (pirate it or buy it, whatever), but honestly the "DRM?! Im not gonna play it then" line is really getting old. i'd give it a big fat facepalm, but if it is enjoyable I highly doubt id let DRM stop me from playing it

10. HyBry

HyBry What's a Dremel?

I would really love to see the piracy demographic breakdown. Being 25 now I only pirate games I know would not buy otherwise. But I am not even doing that much as I have not enough time to play them all.

Few years back i considered buying a game waste of money. Then again I barely had any. Piracy was something that kept me interested in games.

All that said. I do not oppose DRM as a concept, however I oppose that by having it you have inferior product. As long as it does not subrtact from experience (forbids the game to be played, crashes, etc.) or even better enhances it (Steam) I don't care for it.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Steam is only anti piracy tool that works and that doesnt stop Games like GTA4 and the maze you have to go through to play it.

sign in to one thing
    sign in to live
    sign in to steam
    finally play

oh but you have an expansion oh we need that key also

thats intrusive drm

i dont mind a cd check or even always online like starcraft 2 was. Just stay away from ubisoft style drm

12. dogknees

dogknees Minimodder

Not being able to play the game at home because it's not possible to get a connection at a reasonable price seems to be a pretty serous inconvenience to me.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    DRM only affects legitimate players, pirates\freeloaders\parasites dont need to worry about DRM (their version is DRM-free).

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Great, yet another game I won't be able to play if it lands early.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2011
  15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Insulting people voicing a legitimate opinion on a forum is the mark of a superior intellect, is it?

I refuse to support publishers/developers who make the experience less enjoyable. Simple. I don't mind the DRM on the XBOX - I don't notice it. Heck I didn't even mind CDKEYs, but installing rootkits and other software which adversely affects the running of my computer is not on. EDIT: Neither is having to sign up to multiple online accounts, or having to be constantly connected to the internet for a single player game etc.

XBOX games bought in the last month - 3
    PC games bought in the last month - 0

As far as I'm concerned, it's not piracy that is killing PC gaming.

P.S: You are a ****TARD. Go troll somewhere else :)

nemo likes this.
  16. Deadpool46

Deadpool46 What's a Dremel?

Reviewing the Xbox version of Crysis 2? That's disappointing. Wouldn't of been better to wait for the PC version to unlock, considering this is such a PC-centric site?

17. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

^^This!

18. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

id imagine it gives them a chance to review the sp mode and get the review as quick as possible and also give a slight insight into the ins and outs of the mp for those of us that didnt download the demo

19. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I don't really see the problem (Well GTA was a bit of a cock up)
    Would any of you leave you car unlocked during the night? No
    But if somebody want it bad enough they will steal it.

They are making games for money at the end of the day.
    It's a business, people tend to forget that.

20. Deadpool46

Deadpool46 What's a Dremel?

You could be right but TBH I'm not interested in reading an Xbox review. I'l like to know if the PC version still feels and plays like a proper PC game. And other things like DRM, performance, settings and the online experience are not going to be relevant or will be absent from the console review.

It's a shame. I'll have to get my PC review from somewhere else.

Tags: Add Tags