1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam CS:GO Now Free To Play (Join the Battle Royale bandwagon)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WarrenJ, 8 Dec 2018 at 23:27.

1. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

There seems to be a big uproar about CSGO going free-to-play and now with the latest update includes a "Battle Royale" style map.

Anyone played it?

Let me know your thought's.

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Well that's a mistake, if Valve wanted a Free To Play Counter Strike Battle Royale mode they should have released it as it's own executable and not folded it into the famously competitive, famously unforgiving Counter Strike scene.

I expect like all CS game modes that aren't Bomb Defusal, Hostage Rescue, Gun Game or Death Run it will quietly fade into the background only to be brought up in Youtube videos from CS players every six months or so in lists of stuff nobody plays on Counter Strike. It needed to be it's own product so it could be altered as needed without messing about with the rest of the game.

Making CS:GO free to play is not a surprise, it's practically a free to play game anyway, but I doubt the moderators and server admins will thanks them for the incoming waves of trading card bots. Typical modern Valve though, unannounced and half arsed.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2018 at 00:29
  3. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

You can't get trading cards in f2p games until you spent ~£10 on the in game economy iirc, but yeah, should have been a stand alone title without attachment to CS:Go.

4. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

I'll be honest. I'm not a fan. I played this last night to give it as much chance as possible. Unfortunately as you would expect all of the other titles have this game mode nailed down.

It almost feels like a team of modders created something on their lunch break and released it. It feels like an incomplete mod from "the good old days".

Play it. It's free. But, you get what you pay for.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Well I played it.

As a BR mode it is actually quite good in that it's very fast, ammunition is hard to come by and it still feels very Counter Strike-ey. It does feel very knocked together though, like a home made mod.

It might carve out a little niche as 'the fast Battle Royale game' but I still stand by my inital thoughts.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Too many trying to hop on the style. I agree that it should have been kept separate and released as such.